Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pretty poor window as it stands 08:18 - Jul 31 with 10663 viewsitfcjoe

2 goalkeepers to replace our 2 senior keepers - minimum expectation to fill a bench

A goalkeeper for the U23 team

A winger on loan

A striker who looks excellent.

Standard ITFC window under Evans where we struggle to get deals done, with the injury crisis that seems to have engulfed us again you'd have thought it would have put more pressure on to get deals done. In defence we look so weak

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:23 - Jul 31 with 2727 viewsWD19

In practical terms we have upgraded the keepers, upgraded the strikers and maintained the midfield.

The back 4 is a mess.

Given how much we have trimmed from the wage budget I am not sure how you can say that is ‘poor’. Plenty of work still to do, but not a disaster by any means given the time left.

Remember when it comes to the last minute stuff we will be punching harder than most of our competitors for a change
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:25 - Jul 31 with 2708 viewschicoazul

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:23 - Jul 31 by WD19

In practical terms we have upgraded the keepers, upgraded the strikers and maintained the midfield.

The back 4 is a mess.

Given how much we have trimmed from the wage budget I am not sure how you can say that is ‘poor’. Plenty of work still to do, but not a disaster by any means given the time left.

Remember when it comes to the last minute stuff we will be punching harder than most of our competitors for a change

The fact we upgraded the keepers must be why Holy plays in League 1 and Bart plays in the Championship.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:26 - Jul 31 with 2695 viewsKeaneish

Happy with what we’ve done to date but that defence is looking grim and it improves little with the return of Nsiala in my opinion.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:28 - Jul 31 with 2680 viewsJackSted

Just surprised at how we haven't signed a CB yet. I thought that would be our priority especially after last season

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:28 - Jul 31 with 2675 viewschicoazul

TBF I completely forgot, and how unlike me that is, that the window at our level stays open for another month so it's probably a bit too soon to really judge, although you're perfectly right as things stand. Maybe some big PL moves will free up some players for us to loan in, because you just know we will get the other 3 spaces filled very soon.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:29 - Jul 31 with 2671 viewsitfcjoe

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:23 - Jul 31 by WD19

The back 4 is a mess.

At what point do you compare it to for upgrading? Our permanent players, our out of contract players, our loans etc?

Upgrade of the keepers is questionable - Bart is leaving to be a number 1 in the Championship, something which neither of our keepers have been selected for. I have no concerns about them, but Bart is currently a better keeper as evidenced by his move.

And up front we finished the season with Harrison, Jackson, Keane and Quaner.....

Defensively is just such a worry though, it looked short at the start of the window and we've since lost Nydam (who was clearly going to be Kenlock's competition), Nsiala and it seems Ndaba has pretty obviously been deemed not ready. Plus Emmanuel has almost been bombed out.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:30 - Jul 31 with 2644 viewsWD19

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:25 - Jul 31 by chicoazul

The fact we upgraded the keepers must be why Holy plays in League 1 and Bart plays in the Championship.

I hope.....and even expect....Bart to get back to his best. But he was not going to do that without something changing. Sitting on he bench in division 3 wasn’t going to help him.

That’s why I said ‘practical’. On paper Bart is an international keeper, but in practical terms he wasn’t going to be for us this season....for whatever reason. There is definitely more going on than we know about.
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:30 - Jul 31 with 2642 viewsSteve_M

When was the last really good window?

The Summer of 2013 was excellent, hard to see what has been since. Probably Summer 2017 with Garner and Waghorn coming in , Spence on a permanent, Iorfa on loan (the two between them were good enough at right back) plus Celina on loan. The general trend under Evans has been underwhelming.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:30 - Jul 31 with 2634 viewsSaigonTractor

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:26 - Jul 31 by Keaneish

Happy with what we’ve done to date but that defence is looking grim and it improves little with the return of Nsiala in my opinion.

I'm hoping Nsiala needed a season to adjust and will do well returning to the League he performed so well in.

But you're right we desperately need a CB, possibly 2.
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:30 - Jul 31 with 2628 viewsHerbivore

Not sure I'd say it's poor. Norwood is an excellent signing and made early. Garbutt has performed well at this level and was also brought in early enough. Holy looks a good signing and the lad from Wolves is meant to be good.

Other than players we've released we've kept the squad together, except Bart who has been well replaced.

Ideally I'd like a versatile defender that can cover in the centre and play right back and another option up top. Otherwise we look alright and there's still time to make those couple of signings.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:31 - Jul 31 with 2631 viewschicoazul

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:28 - Jul 31 by JackSted

Just surprised at how we haven't signed a CB yet. I thought that would be our priority especially after last season

I can *sort* of understand why though. We have Chambers Woolf Donacien, Skuse can play in there, and Toto to come back. Toto being injured and Chambo being suspended has screwed the pooch for the first game but I think it will be alright once theyre back.

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:34 - Jul 31 with 2599 viewsOsborneOneNil

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:26 - Jul 31 by Keaneish

See also Chambers. Will league 1 be his level, or will he be a liability that never gets dropped, like last year?
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:34 - Jul 31 with 2585 viewschicoazul

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:30 - Jul 31 by Steve_M

The Summer of 2013 was excellent, hard to see what has been since. Probably Summer 2017 with Garner and Waghorn coming in , Spence on a permanent, Iorfa on loan (the two between them were good enough at right back) plus Celina on loan. The general trend under Evans has been underwhelming.

Hey you never know, if Jackson scores 15 goals Dona is our regular right back Toto is our player of the season and Nolan gets 10 assists then maybe last summer will turn out to have been the best window in ages!

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:35 - Jul 31 with 2582 viewsLankHenners

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:28 - Jul 31 by chicoazul

TBF I completely forgot, and how unlike me that is, that the window at our level stays open for another month so it's probably a bit too soon to really judge, although you're perfectly right as things stand. Maybe some big PL moves will free up some players for us to loan in, because you just know we will get the other 3 spaces filled very soon.

Thing is people can say 'we've still got a month to go as yet' but the season starts on Saturday, and, as you rightly say, any signings we're likely to make will be some Prem loans (and not good ones like Mick used to do). Even if we do get some permanent deals done those players will be playing catch up with the rest of the squad so we start the season a bit muddled without the team set up properly.

We've had all summer to reinforce the defence (a clear priority area), and known since the end of June that Norwood and Jackson are our only 2 fit strikers so we've essentially spent the best part of 2 months d!cking around with out of contract trialists and chasing an injured player we then decide is too injured to sign.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:36 - Jul 31 with 2571 viewsTractorJack

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:28 - Jul 31 by JackSted

It should have been a priority in January yet we had to make do with Collins for 4 games.
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:36 - Jul 31 with 2566 viewsmrshallisfit

Underwhelming is being a bit generous.
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:36 - Jul 31 with 2564 viewschicoazul

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:34 - Jul 31 by OsborneOneNil

See also Chambers. Will league 1 be his level, or will he be a liability that never gets dropped, like last year?

Chambers and Toto looks like a good partnership to me, compensating for one another's weaknesses.

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:39 - Jul 31 with 2539 viewsOsborneOneNil

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:36 - Jul 31 by chicoazul

Chambers and Toto looks like a good partnership to me, compensating for one another's weaknesses.

Yeah, hope so. I just worry on Chambers, he was miles off it in many of the games last year. I think Toto will be key this year, he’ll be good for us.
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:42 - Jul 31 with 2505 viewsHerbivore

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:39 - Jul 31 by OsborneOneNil

Yeah, hope so. I just worry on Chambers, he was miles off it in many of the games last year. I think Toto will be key this year, he’ll be good for us.

Toto was even further off so not sure why you think he'll be good but you have worries about Chambers. Chambers will be more than fine at this level, Toto ought to be too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:43 - Jul 31 with 2501 viewschicoazul

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:39 - Jul 31 by OsborneOneNil

Chambers pace is totally gone which is to be expected but Dona and Toto seem to be good atheletes if nothing else. Chambers is a tidy footballer a great influence and still physically strong so in a back 4 with those guys covering for his lack of pace I am hoping he will have a good year.

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:45 - Jul 31 with 2485 viewsBigManBlue

Totally right that we should have at least sorted the CB position by now, but otherwise not a bad window all things considered. My main point of confusion is why we let Harrison go before we really had any idea if we'd be playing 1 or 2 up top, or how much and what type of backup we'd need there.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:46 - Jul 31 with 2470 viewsReuser_is_God

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:47 - Jul 31 with 2466 viewsReuser_is_God

2013 the standout clearly.

2017 was good but all those recruited only lasted a season!

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:52 - Jul 31 with 2426 viewsTractorJack

I can't see this changing until we modernise our recruitment process.
Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:52 - Jul 31 with 2424 viewsIpswichKnight

Pretty poor window as it stands on 08:42 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

Toto was even further off so not sure why you think he'll be good but you have worries about Chambers. Chambers will be more than fine at this level, Toto ought to be too.

One of Toto or Chambers isn't going to play every week. I'm confident that Woolfy will be playing every week. We have needed pace and composure on the ball since Webster left and now we have it again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024