Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unknown Pleasures 11:31 - Jun 15 with 4667 viewsBlueorder

This iconic debut turns 40 today. Who here thinks that this was the best debut by any band ever?
This album still feels like it could have been recorded yesterday, Utterly timeless.
Unknown Pleasures on 11:35 - Jun 15 with 4652 viewsfooters

Courtesy of Blue Action...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Unknown Pleasures on 11:42 - Jun 15 with 4618 viewsBlueorder

Unknown Pleasures on 11:35 - Jun 15 by footers

Courtesy of Blue Action...

Are they still available ?
Unknown Pleasures on 11:45 - Jun 15 with 4614 viewsfooters

Unknown Pleasures on 11:42 - Jun 15 by Blueorder

Are they still available ?

Yes mate!

https://blueaction.bigcartel.com/

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Unknown Pleasures on 15:40 - Jun 15 with 4522 viewsWeWereZombies

It can't be forty years surely, it feels like I remember nothing.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Unknown Pleasures on 16:15 - Jun 15 with 4495 viewsBlueorder

Unknown Pleasures on 15:40 - Jun 15 by WeWereZombies

It can't be forty years surely, it feels like I remember nothing.

Maybe you've got some kind of disorder.
Unknown Pleasures on 16:32 - Jun 15 with 4477 viewsWeWereZombies

Unknown Pleasures on 16:15 - Jun 15 by Blueorder

Maybe you've got some kind of disorder.

Not the most welcome insight but it could explain my fascination with Plato's cave and the shadowplay there.

Unknown Pleasures on 16:32 - Jun 15 with 4477 viewsitfcpaul

Probably on of the most iconic bands of the century

for a band that only performed for 6 months they were so influential and in Ian Curtis they had an amazing frontman who was dealing with such dark moments and times it was amazing that they could wrote such dark but mesmerising song. We all know Love Will Tear Us Apart from Closer ( which I managed to fit into our wedding song list for people to listen to while waiting for the ceremony to start) as it's such an amazing thought provoking song dealing with the lives of people together dealing with mental health issues) but also listen to sings such as She's Lost Control and the amazing Disorder and Shadow Play in this Album.

If you haven't seen the film "Control" which highlights the Joy Division story and ultimately the death of Ian Curtis please give it a viewing. Yes is dark and some what depressing but so though provoking and amazing at the same time

Joy Division were lost at the top of their game and could gave been one of the greasy bands ever. Peter Hooks awesome driving bass lines are still to this day so modern and no one does this as well as he still does

I was lucky enough to see Joy Division on one of their very few live dates supporting The Buzzcocks at the Top Rank Suite in Sheffield and they were still to this day one of the best live bands I have ever seen and dive seen hundreds

Awesome album and similarly amazing band

PS...Blue Action guys. you have done an amazing job with the support I've the last season and keep it going as I'm sure you will have an amazing impact on the noise at home and away next season but on another note I hope you dont get caught out with copyrightboffences using the Unknown Pleasures copyrighted logo. I only mention it as I know they are clamping down on illegal use of it
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 16:35]

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Unknown Pleasures on 19:52 - Jun 15 with 4404 viewsBarcaBlue

Been listening to it today, as you say completely timeless, wish I could have aged as well.
Login to get fewer ads

Unknown Pleasures on 20:11 - Jun 15 with 4379 viewsGunnsAirkick

Superb album, in my top 10 for sure. One of those perfect albums.
Unknown Pleasures on 23:18 - Jun 15 with 4290 viewsitfcpaul

Unknown Pleasures on 20:11 - Jun 15 by GunnsAirkick

Superb album, in my top 10 for sure. One of those perfect albums.

What's your other 9?

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Unknown Pleasures on 23:45 - Jun 15 with 4279 viewsMelford

It's up there with The Stone Roses for me as the best two debut albums.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Unknown Pleasures on 12:48 - Jun 16 with 4178 viewsGunnsAirkick

Unknown Pleasures on 23:18 - Jun 15 by itfcpaul

What's your other 9?

I'll have a stab at it, will probably be different if you ask next week though, haha.

1. Nirvana - In Utero.
2. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation.
3. Black Flag - My War.
4. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures.
5. Pixies - Trompe Le Monde.
6. Weezer - Pinkerton.
7. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy.
8. Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R.
9. Shellac - At Action Park.
10. Metallica - Master of Puppets.

There is so much more I could put on there though, I grew up listening to AC/DC, Queen, Bowie and UK Punk. As a teenager I got more into 'grunge' and post-punk, but also not impartial to Brit Pop. I also like metal and synth music (especially horror soundtracks). What are yours?
Unknown Pleasures on 14:07 - Jun 16 with 4134 viewsRadlett_blue

Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Unknown Pleasures on 15:03 - Jun 16 with 4110 viewsWeWereZombies

Unknown Pleasures on 23:45 - Jun 15 by Melford

It's up there with The Stone Roses for me as the best two debut albums.

'Bring It On' by Gomez is the debut album that no fault can be found with:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/gomez-favourite-past-mercury-p

Unknown Pleasures on 15:54 - Jun 16 with 4101 viewsitfcpaul

Unknown Pleasures on 12:48 - Jun 16 by GunnsAirkick

I'll have a stab at it, will probably be different if you ask next week though, haha.

1. Nirvana - In Utero.
2. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation.
3. Black Flag - My War.
4. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures.
5. Pixies - Trompe Le Monde.
6. Weezer - Pinkerton.
7. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy.
8. Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R.
9. Shellac - At Action Park.
10. Metallica - Master of Puppets.

There is so much more I could put on there though, I grew up listening to AC/DC, Queen, Bowie and UK Punk. As a teenager I got more into 'grunge' and post-punk, but also not impartial to Brit Pop. I also like metal and synth music (especially horror soundtracks). What are yours?

What I find amazing is that both our top ten albums contains Unknown Pleasures but nothing else and yours as so much different to my others. Just shows how Joy Division transcends the musical tastes of a massive amount of people who went on to find there own musical likes coloured by Joy Division

Unknown Pleasures on 16:42 - Jun 16 with 4072 viewsGunnsAirkick

Unknown Pleasures on 15:54 - Jun 16 by itfcpaul

What I find amazing is that both our top ten albums contains Unknown Pleasures but nothing else and yours as so much different to my others. Just shows how Joy Division transcends the musical tastes of a massive amount of people who went on to find there own musical likes coloured by Joy Division

I really like stuff like New Order, Gang of Four, Wire, The Cure in terms of bands closer to Joy Division. For me the whole grunge movement and bands associated with that (e.g. Sonic Youth, Pixies) was my big thing in my teens, but it is mad how influential Joy Division are. Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins is a huge fan. Flea of Red Hot Chilli Peppers also has a huge Unknown Pleasures sticker on his bass, so you're completely right.

[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 16:46]
Unknown Pleasures on 17:18 - Jun 16 with 4044 viewsbluejake78

Bauhaus were another band who rocked me....and still do.
Talk Talk,furs,Buzz Cocks.
The live band (unfortunately dead) was The Ramones.
Unknown Pleasures on 18:09 - Jun 16 with 4019 viewsitfcpaul

Unknown Pleasures on 16:42 - Jun 16 by GunnsAirkick

I really like stuff like New Order, Gang of Four, Wire, The Cure in terms of bands closer to Joy Division. For me the whole grunge movement and bands associated with that (e.g. Sonic Youth, Pixies) was my big thing in my teens, but it is mad how influential Joy Division are. Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins is a huge fan. Flea of Red Hot Chilli Peppers also has a huge Unknown Pleasures sticker on his bass, so you're completely right.

[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 16:46]

I went more down the electronic route so Gary Numan OMD Ultravox and early Human League pre girlies and Rezillis/ Revillos but also entered pop world Squeeze Barenaked Ladies Joe Jackson The Cars and even some American sugar pop with Sinceros Rubinoos and Fountains of Wa in

completely different to you obviously but Joy Division were amazing

I did like Buzzcocks Stranglers etc but I must admit the best bands live are now Green Day Midge Ure and Joe Jackson. A strange mix I know

Unknown Pleasures on 02:37 - Jun 17 with 3936 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Very good album. Great artwork by blue action, they should make these poster size.

BEst debut album by a band...how about In The Court of the Crimson King.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024