Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a thought... 09:32 - May 28 with 2686 viewshampstead_blue

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61085064_2345703615684441_69973996

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Just a thought... on 09:41 - May 28 with 2169 viewseireblue

Nige didn’t set his sights on just winning.

He was talking about historic upswells.

He did slightly better than last time, there was possibly a slight swing to remain parties.

Nobody is suggesting the Brexit Party didn’t win.

It was just a little bit underwhelming, given what Nige predicted.

Also Nige wanted a no-deal. Now he wants to be part of the negotiation team.
So he wants a negotiated deal now it would seem.

Must be a bit disappointing for his fans.
[Post edited 28 May 2019 9:42]
Just a thought... on 09:42 - May 28 with 2162 viewsDanTheMan

My main issue is that's a terrible meme from Facebook.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Just a thought... on 09:44 - May 28 with 2155 viewsWeWereZombies

Well done, as comic book as they come...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Just a thought... on 10:13 - May 28 with 2122 viewsGuthrum

Except they haven't actually 'won' anything. They took the largest share in one out of the 28 member states of the EU, but the grouping to which they belong in that parliament (EFDD) is one of the smallest. So they're not exactly "in power".*

If you're treating this as a pure referendum on Brexit within the UK, they came nowhere near a majority. Indeed, under those circumstances, it would be entirely reasonable to start adding together LibDems, Greens, SNP, etc, as they are all avowedly pro-Remain parties.

If the result were mirrored in a General Election, the Brexit Party would be far short of the numbers required to form a government. In 2017, Labour got 40% and still did not have enough. There would be much more chance of a LibDem-Green-SNP-Plaid coalition, given half the few remaining Conservatives would split the party rather than work with Farage.

* And before anyone says "that shows how undemocratic the EU is", it's no less so than the UK itself, where the SNP can dominate one region without hope of forming a government.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just a thought... on 10:17 - May 28 with 2107 viewsSwansea_Blue

What have you 'won'?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just a thought... on 10:18 - May 28 with 2106 viewsWeWereZombies

Just a thought... on 10:13 - May 28 by Guthrum

Except they haven't actually 'won' anything. They took the largest share in one out of the 28 member states of the EU, but the grouping to which they belong in that parliament (EFDD) is one of the smallest. So they're not exactly "in power".*

If you're treating this as a pure referendum on Brexit within the UK, they came nowhere near a majority. Indeed, under those circumstances, it would be entirely reasonable to start adding together LibDems, Greens, SNP, etc, as they are all avowedly pro-Remain parties.

If the result were mirrored in a General Election, the Brexit Party would be far short of the numbers required to form a government. In 2017, Labour got 40% and still did not have enough. There would be much more chance of a LibDem-Green-SNP-Plaid coalition, given half the few remaining Conservatives would split the party rather than work with Farage.

* And before anyone says "that shows how undemocratic the EU is", it's no less so than the UK itself, where the SNP can dominate one region without hope of forming a government.

Your last statement is not right, last time I looked the SNP were in power in Holyrood. Unfortunately that is a situation that looks all the more likely to subsist after last Thursday's election.

Just a thought... on 10:20 - May 28 with 2102 viewsSomethingBlue

Looks about spot-on for the Brexit Party's attitude, and that of a large proportion of their followers.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Just a thought... on 10:23 - May 28 with 2085 viewsGuthrum

Just a thought... on 10:18 - May 28 by WeWereZombies

Your last statement is not right, last time I looked the SNP were in power in Holyrood. Unfortunately that is a situation that looks all the more likely to subsist after last Thursday's election.

But not in Westminster.

Like Holyrood, the House of Commons has its own elections, distinct from the EU, which the Brexit Party could (theoretically) win.

Login to get fewer ads

Just a thought... on 10:30 - May 28 with 2074 viewsWeWereZombies

Just a thought... on 10:23 - May 28 by Guthrum

But not in Westminster.

Like Holyrood, the House of Commons has its own elections, distinct from the EU, which the Brexit Party could (theoretically) win.

I know, I was just trying to correct a little bit of English bias...now that I am properly British.

Just a thought... on 10:44 - May 28 with 2054 viewsGuthrum

Just a thought... on 10:30 - May 28 by WeWereZombies

I know, I was just trying to correct a little bit of English bias...now that I am properly British.

Scottish passports come in a sort of blue-and-burgundy tartan, don't they? I'm possibly going to be up your way (ish) for a few days next month, in Applecross. Very nice pub.

Just a thought... on 10:46 - May 28 with 2048 viewsBlueBadger

Just a thought... on 10:17 - May 28 by Swansea_Blue

What have you 'won'?

Blue passports and no more foreigners?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just a thought... on 10:53 - May 28 with 2025 viewsmanchego

Just a thought... on 09:41 - May 28 by eireblue

Nige didn’t set his sights on just winning.

He was talking about historic upswells.

He did slightly better than last time, there was possibly a slight swing to remain parties.

Nobody is suggesting the Brexit Party didn’t win.

It was just a little bit underwhelming, given what Nige predicted.

Also Nige wanted a no-deal. Now he wants to be part of the negotiation team.
So he wants a negotiated deal now it would seem.

Must be a bit disappointing for his fans.
[Post edited 28 May 2019 9:42]

Don't forget he used to prattle on about Norway as well - and Norway is in the single market.

He changes his mind like the wind blows.
Just a thought... on 10:56 - May 28 with 2025 viewsWeWereZombies

Just a thought... on 10:44 - May 28 by Guthrum

Scottish passports come in a sort of blue-and-burgundy tartan, don't they? I'm possibly going to be up your way (ish) for a few days next month, in Applecross. Very nice pub.

Ah, Bealach na Bà. I have only driven it once and didn't go to the pub, perhaps time to go again once I get my licence back (because I don't fancy cycling it). Decent pub in Plockton too, and very good sea kayak tuition but you need to book that up in advance if interested.

Just a thought... on 11:06 - May 28 with 2011 viewsGuthrum

Just a thought... on 10:56 - May 28 by WeWereZombies

Ah, Bealach na Bà. I have only driven it once and didn't go to the pub, perhaps time to go again once I get my licence back (because I don't fancy cycling it). Decent pub in Plockton too, and very good sea kayak tuition but you need to book that up in advance if interested.

It's a great place for people to get their (often hired) supercars stuck while doing the North Coast 500.

Not been to Plockton yet (tho the friends I go with also recommended it). Near that wonderful roadsign which reads "Strome Ferry (No Ferry)".

Just a thought... on 11:10 - May 28 with 1999 viewsBlueBadger

Just a thought... on 10:53 - May 28 by manchego

Don't forget he used to prattle on about Norway as well - and Norway is in the single market.

It's almost like he's a shameless opportunist willing to say anything in order to appeal to idiots.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just a thought... on 11:18 - May 28 with 1983 viewsmrshallisfit

Are you a button mushroom or onion ring man with your steak and chips?
Just a thought... on 11:26 - May 28 with 1966 viewspickles110564

Just a thought... on 10:53 - May 28 by manchego

You have described Corbyn to a tee here.
Just a thought... on 11:29 - May 28 with 1959 viewsreusersfreekicks

Just a thought... on 11:26 - May 28 by pickles110564

Can you provide Links to Corbyn extolling the benefits of a Norway type deal?
[Post edited 28 May 2019 11:32]
Just a thought... on 11:31 - May 28 with 1953 viewsHerbivore

Just a thought... on 11:26 - May 28 by pickles110564

What is wrong with you?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just a thought... on 11:36 - May 28 with 1937 viewsjeera

Just a thought... on 11:31 - May 28 by Herbivore

What is wrong with you?

He down-voted a fellow Brexiteer on another thread because he was unclear what she meant in a post.

Mind you, in his defence...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Just a thought... on 11:40 - May 28 with 1923 viewsflimflam

Just a thought... on 10:13 - May 28 by Guthrum

Apart from they had the highest vote share in 9 out of the 11 regions.

Break that down into smaller constituencies then it would surely favour them in FPTP when the leave parties are splitting their votes between them?

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Just a thought... on 12:16 - May 28 with 1876 viewsHerbivore

Just a thought... on 11:40 - May 28 by flimflam

Break that down into smaller constituencies then it would surely favour them in FPTP when the leave parties are splitting their votes between them?

You can't translate EU elections into a general election. If you could then UKIP would have taken more than one seat in 2015 having managed a similar 'victory' to the Brexit Party in the EU elections in 2014. I'm sure you'll tell me how it's different now and that the Brexit Party have changed politics but I don't buy it, they're another bunch of single issue charlatans who pander to a particular demographic.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Just a thought... on 12:26 - May 28 with 1872 viewsGuthrum

Just a thought... on 11:40 - May 28 by flimflam

If it worked like that*, they'd still only have 30.5% of MPs, about 198, way short of the 322 needed for an effective governing majority (given Sinn Fein don't take up their seats). Even if the remains of the Conservatives (8.8%, 57 seats) joined them, it would be not even close. The DUP might join in with their 10 seats, but nobody else.

A LibDem-Green-Change alliance would outnumber them and be more likely to attract a confidence and supply agreement with the SNP and Labour to get a working majority.

* It doesn't.
1) Turnout in EU elections is between half and two-thirds of that in a GE, favouring the more activist parties (i.e. not the big two).
2) Labour and Conservative support tends to be concentrated in specific areas, whereas Brexit, the LibDems and Greens are spread more evenly, which does not help them under FPTP.
3) General Elections are fought on many issues other than Brexit. The BP's positions on other matters (or their unwillingness to discuss them) will be damaging, whereas Tories and Labour will gain.
4) Farage and the BP have no track record on running the country. Very few have held ministerial positions (even Widdecombe was never in the Cabinet).
[Post edited 28 May 2019 12:29]

Just a thought... on 12:31 - May 28 with 1849 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just a thought... on 10:46 - May 28 by BlueBadger

Blue passports and no more foreigners?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just a thought... on 13:10 - May 28 with 1803 viewsitfcjoe

Just a thought... on 12:16 - May 28 by Herbivore

You can't translate EU elections into a general election. If you could then UKIP would have taken more than one seat in 2015 having managed a similar 'victory' to the Brexit Party in the EU elections in 2014. I'm sure you'll tell me how it's different now and that the Brexit Party have changed politics but I don't buy it, they're another bunch of single issue charlatans who pander to a particular demographic.

It's not even a single issue for them, it's just a single word

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024