Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. 12:09 - May 15 with 8096 viewsWeWereZombies

Owen Jones🌹
✔
@OwenJones84
Jeremy Kyle consisted of putting vulnerable people from disadvantaged backgrounds in stocks to have eggs thrown at them; it fuelled an agenda of demonising poorer people which helped legitimise cuts to the welfare state. Good riddance

From: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48279613

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:11 - May 15 with 3733 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hate Owen Jones, smug b*stard.

But I also hate the JK show.

However, the guys family and friends mustve known it wasnt a good idea for this guy to go on.

Also.... kudos to OJ for managing to hijack any / every topic to turn it into an anti Tory post. Slightly poor taste, he's no better than JK here.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 12:13]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:14 - May 15 with 3708 viewsSpruceMoose

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:11 - May 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I hate Owen Jones, smug b*stard.

But I also hate the JK show.

However, the guys family and friends mustve known it wasnt a good idea for this guy to go on.

Also.... kudos to OJ for managing to hijack any / every topic to turn it into an anti Tory post. Slightly poor taste, he's no better than JK here.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 12:13]

There was a piece I read yesterday which talked about how quickly the show moved to get you on once you had expressed an interest. They really didn't give you time to think about it. Then when they got you to the studios they isolated you from friends and family, kept you waiting round all day, told you to wear a tracksuit and basically tried to send you out to face the cameras as wound up and as aggro as possible.

Lovely people.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:16 - May 15 with 3693 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:14 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

There was a piece I read yesterday which talked about how quickly the show moved to get you on once you had expressed an interest. They really didn't give you time to think about it. Then when they got you to the studios they isolated you from friends and family, kept you waiting round all day, told you to wear a tracksuit and basically tried to send you out to face the cameras as wound up and as aggro as possible.

Lovely people.

Yep, it wont be missed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:17 - May 15 with 3687 viewsclive_baker

Horrible show, definitely exploitation of a certain cross section of society etc etc but "it fuelled an agenda of demonising poorer people which helped legitimise cuts to the welfare state" is quite a claim, and not one I suspect he can substantiate.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:18 - May 15 with 3672 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:17 - May 15 by clive_baker

Horrible show, definitely exploitation of a certain cross section of society etc etc but "it fuelled an agenda of demonising poorer people which helped legitimise cuts to the welfare state" is quite a claim, and not one I suspect he can substantiate.

Indeed. Poor form by Owen Jones to use it as political weaponry;

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:26 - May 15 with 3638 viewsSuperblue95

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:14 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

Lovely people.

I don’t watch the show and so won’t miss it. But I can’t imagine why any normal person would so much as even consider going on it. But these people aren’t normal, they find it all a laugh to get 5 minutes of fame by acting like a scumbag on the telly.

The show shouldn’t exploit these people like they have done but these people are just acting like they do in every day life. And they don’t act like it because they’re poor or disadvantaged it’s just the type of people they are.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:33 - May 15 with 3610 viewsWeWereZombies

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:26 - May 15 by Superblue95

I don’t watch the show and so won’t miss it. But I can’t imagine why any normal person would so much as even consider going on it. But these people aren’t normal, they find it all a laugh to get 5 minutes of fame by acting like a scumbag on the telly.

The show shouldn’t exploit these people like they have done but these people are just acting like they do in every day life. And they don’t act like it because they’re poor or disadvantaged it’s just the type of people they are.

How do you know that? You do not live inside their heads, desperate people do desperate things. And someone driven to suicide sounds like the very epitome of a desperate person. A corporation like ITV have the resources and should have the responsibility to control someone like Kyle and it is a clear failing on their part.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:48 - May 15 with 3570 viewsitfcjoe

You can be spot on about one thing and way off the mark in others.

I actually agre with a lot of what OJ has said in the regard of the demonisation of the working class - but he has lost all credibility as he was against Corbyn, and now Corbyn has been made leader and had some success he is now his biggest cheerleader.

It feels like he is being punished for going against him and now has to use his social media and any writing opportunities as unwavering, uncritical support for Corbyn or he will be back on the outside looking in.

A shame, because he has some genuinely important and good takes on things that he has sold out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:48 - May 15 with 3565 viewsSuperblue95

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:33 - May 15 by WeWereZombies

How do you know that? You do not live inside their heads, desperate people do desperate things. And someone driven to suicide sounds like the very epitome of a desperate person. A corporation like ITV have the resources and should have the responsibility to control someone like Kyle and it is a clear failing on their part.

How do I know what exactly?

Desperate people do do desperate things but I don’t understand why anyone would think that going on the telly and behaving the way they do so the nation can laugh at them will really fix anything. From the brief bits of the show I’ve seen they all sit their sneering and laughing and take the whole thing as a bit of fun, a bit of fame.

It’s horrible that it has seemingly driven somebody to suicide though and agree that ITV should never have made such a show, let alone persevere with it for so long

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:50 - May 15 with 3555 viewsitfcjoe

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:17 - May 15 by clive_baker

I don't think it's too difficult and if you read his book Chavs he can give it a good go in substantiatiing why this image of the working class fuels people to look at them as workshy sub human scroungers and believe that they are the problem

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:51 - May 15 with 3545 viewsHerbivore

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:48 - May 15 by Superblue95

Desperate people do do desperate things but I don’t understand why anyone would think that going on the telly and behaving the way they do so the nation can laugh at them will really fix anything. From the brief bits of the show I’ve seen they all sit their sneering and laughing and take the whole thing as a bit of fun, a bit of fame.

It’s horrible that it has seemingly driven somebody to suicide though and agree that ITV should never have made such a show, let alone persevere with it for so long

Perhaps you should have filed this one under "I don't know enough to give an informed view on the matter".

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:53 - May 15 with 3542 viewsSuperblue95

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:51 - May 15 by Herbivore

Perhaps you should have filed this one under "I don't know enough to give an informed view on the matter".

Ok. What don’t I know exactly?

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:54 - May 15 with 3527 viewsHerbivore

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:53 - May 15 by Superblue95

Ok. What don’t I know exactly?

Enough to form a view, but you've given one anyway. It seems you've caught a few snippets of the show and made a sweeping judgement about the people who go on it.

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:57 - May 15 with 3493 viewsjeera

Dunno. With programmes such as Benefits Street and Benefits Britain etc that have been doing the rounds recent years...

It all helps build a negative picture, much of which is set-up to deliberately make the viewer angry and resentful.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:59 - May 15 with 3472 viewsSuperblue95

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:54 - May 15 by Herbivore

Enough to form a view, but you've given one anyway. It seems you've caught a few snippets of the show and made a sweeping judgement about the people who go on it.

Fair enough it might not be the case for everybody on there, but it certainly applies to virtually all of the people I have seen on there.

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:04 - May 15 with 3449 viewsfactual_blue

We were all discussing kyle at our Important Wednesday Morning Coffee. I think we concluded the end of the show is a Good Thing, otherwise the final conclusion would have been kyle himself being killed live on air.

There's an interesting article on the BBC website - a report from a former runner on the show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48266570

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:04 - May 15 with 3448 viewswallyvincent

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:57 - May 15 by jeera

Dunno. With programmes such as Benefits Street and Benefits Britain etc that have been doing the rounds recent years...

It all helps build a negative picture, much of which is set-up to deliberately make the viewer angry and resentful.

It belongs with a number of current TV shows that should never have seen the light of day. Chewing gum TV of the highest order.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:13 - May 15 with 3395 viewsclive_baker

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:50 - May 15 by itfcjoe

I don't think it's too difficult and if you read his book Chavs he can give it a good go in substantiatiing why this image of the working class fuels people to look at them as workshy sub human scroungers and believe that they are the problem

I haven't read his book, but I would be keen to see what empirical evidence exists that links the Jeremy Kyle show appearing on UK TV, and a negative shift in public sentiment towards a certain cross section of society. My instinct is that that link is almost impossible to substantiate with any degree or accuracy, but as I said I'm open minded.

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:16 - May 15 with 3379 viewsJ2BLUE

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:48 - May 15 by Superblue95

People are a product of their upbringing. A massive range of factors comes into play. To say that is just the type of people they are is incredibly ignorant.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:16 - May 15 with 3379 viewsitfcjoe

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:13 - May 15 by clive_baker

I haven't read his book, but I would be keen to see what empirical evidence exists that links the Jeremy Kyle show appearing on UK TV, and a negative shift in public sentiment towards a certain cross section of society. My instinct is that that link is almost impossible to substantiate with any degree or accuracy, but as I said I'm open minded.

I read it a long time ago, and can't be sure that JK Show is specifically mentioned, butthere is a fair bit on programmes and negative media regarding benefit scrounging and showing people in this negative light on programmes like Benefits Street, press about people having too many kids, etc, which all seems to point towards showing these people as scum.

it is generally a bit long winded, and blames Thatcher for nearly everything, but there are some well made points in there.

EDIT - Here is a PDF
http://the-eye.eu/public/concen.org/Conspiracy%20Theory%20eBooks%20Collection%20

The chapter starting on page 109 is where it is dealt with, and from about 125 for a few pages for more specifics.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 13:19]

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:18 - May 15 with 3372 viewsElderGrizzly

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 12:48 - May 15 by itfcjoe

You can be spot on about one thing and way off the mark in others.

I actually agre with a lot of what OJ has said in the regard of the demonisation of the working class - but he has lost all credibility as he was against Corbyn, and now Corbyn has been made leader and had some success he is now his biggest cheerleader.

It feels like he is being punished for going against him and now has to use his social media and any writing opportunities as unwavering, uncritical support for Corbyn or he will be back on the outside looking in.

A shame, because he has some genuinely important and good takes on things that he has sold out

He is a brilliant hindsight political commentator
No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:24 - May 15 with 3329 viewshampstead_blue

I dislike both Owen Jones and Kyle.

Kyle is vile and Jones is as delusional as he is annoying.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:24 - May 15 with 3323 viewsclive_baker

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:16 - May 15 by itfcjoe

I read it a long time ago, and can't be sure that JK Show is specifically mentioned, butthere is a fair bit on programmes and negative media regarding benefit scrounging and showing people in this negative light on programmes like Benefits Street, press about people having too many kids, etc, which all seems to point towards showing these people as scum.

it is generally a bit long winded, and blames Thatcher for nearly everything, but there are some well made points in there.

EDIT - Here is a PDF
http://the-eye.eu/public/concen.org/Conspiracy%20Theory%20eBooks%20Collection%20

The chapter starting on page 109 is where it is dealt with, and from about 125 for a few pages for more specifics.
[Post edited 15 May 2019 13:19]

Thanks chap

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:26 - May 15 with 3306 viewsShropshireBluenago09

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:04 - May 15 by wallyvincent

It belongs with a number of current TV shows that should never have seen the light of day. Chewing gum TV of the highest order.

Have watched the show a few times and it is not always 'bear-baiting chavs'. It is right in the circumstances that the Show has been pulled, however i do feel this has been another witch hunt by the PC brigade, most of which have never seen the show itself.
Many people who go on there are desperate for help and it is given to them. Many people have turned there lives around, due to the good work that the show does with counselling, rehabilitation, etc.

Gus Uhlenbeek

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:36 - May 15 with 3245 viewsHerbivore

No idea why people dislike Owen Jones, the guy is spot about Jeremy Kyle. on 13:26 - May 15 by ShropshireBluenago09

Have watched the show a few times and it is not always 'bear-baiting chavs'. It is right in the circumstances that the Show has been pulled, however i do feel this has been another witch hunt by the PC brigade, most of which have never seen the show itself.
Many people who go on there are desperate for help and it is given to them. Many people have turned there lives around, due to the good work that the show does with counselling, rehabilitation, etc.

Protecting people from harm is PC now?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024