Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Florida suggestions 12:18 - Apr 14 with 3760 viewsbluelagos

Couple more weeks and I'll be in Florida for
2 to 3 weeks.

Aside from a run to the Florida keys, any tips.

Not one for theme parks except the Kennedy space centre.

Any tips greatfully received

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Florida suggestions on 12:24 - Apr 14 with 3079 viewsMoisha

Did an air-boat trip and fed the crocodiles and alligators at a park which was a good day out.
Florida suggestions on 12:25 - Apr 14 with 3073 viewsSE1blue

Whereabouts are you going to be based? Florida is bigger than england.

If you want a relaxing beach day, I’d strongly recommended Lovers Key State Park. You can lie on the beach or paddle around in kayaks looking for alligators and manatee. Here’s a link

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/lovers-key-state-park

For food I’d recommend Fords Garage or Pinchers - have many locations but again, not knowing whereabouts you’ll be it’s hard to give ideas as you could be a 5 hour drive away.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Florida suggestions on 12:26 - Apr 14 with 3061 viewsfactual_blue

Buy a 'I love trump' baseball cap.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 12:27]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Florida suggestions on 12:29 - Apr 14 with 3061 viewsDarth_Koont

Florida keys, maybe the Everglades, Miami and then that’s about it. Without the theme parks and just lying on the beach there’s not much more than that.

If you’ve got 2 or 3 weeks and are traveling around, I’d suggest a trip to Savannah in Georgia, up into hillbilly country and maybe around South Carolina too. For me, Florida is just a little too samey once you’ve ticked off the unique bits at the top of the post.

Pronouns: He/Him

Florida suggestions on 12:30 - Apr 14 with 3057 viewsnoggin

Siesta Key has the best beach in America. Beutiful white sand and shallow, clear and calm water.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Florida suggestions on 12:35 - Apr 14 with 3040 viewsBluefish

Orlando magic is a great night out

Let me know if you want any park advice, I've been lots of times. Never been to the Kennedy space centre or the keys though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Florida suggestions on 12:38 - Apr 14 with 3041 viewsfloridaboy

Take a drive to Daytona and drive along the beach - great experience.

Or a day at St. Augustine. Very relaxing!

Really depends on what you like to do and see
Florida suggestions on 12:43 - Apr 14 with 3031 viewsfloridablue

Will you be driving and have young kids in tow and are you moving around hotels/resorts..could make a difference to suggestions. I've lived close to Orlando for years so hope I can offer some decent input. First thing iI would suggest is a visit to an Orlando City mens game or the Ladies Pride. Stadium is a short walk from the downtown city. Couple of hours drive nort east over on the Atlantic coast is the town of St Augustine one of the oldest recorded places in the USA. Very quaint and an old Spanish fort. On the Gulf of Mexico ocean there's the quaint sponge diving town of Tarpon Springs, set up by the original Greek divers that arrived over a century ago and plenty of small Greek family restaurants. Just a short drive south is the famous Clearwater beach. Closer to where I live is another popular town to visit, Winter Garden with a very popular craft brewery. Further North is Mount Dora that offers a great Canal boat trip with the chance to spot alligators and decent bird life. Plenty more thoughts if you need them.
Login to get fewer ads

Florida suggestions on 12:44 - Apr 14 with 3026 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Florida suggestions on 12:35 - Apr 14 by Bluefish

Orlando magic is a great night out

Let me know if you want any park advice, I've been lots of times. Never been to the Kennedy space centre or the keys though

I second this, Saw them against Chicago Bulls a last time out there. That - is how you make sport a spectacle.

But, think the season has ended by the time you go.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Florida suggestions on 12:47 - Apr 14 with 3025 viewsElderGrizzly

If you’re going to Kennedy a lot of the really interesting behind the scenes stuff is shut at the moment due to Space X launches.

It might be over by the time you get there and if so, try and get on one of the special interest tours. You can pop to one of the launchpads which is superb
Florida suggestions on 12:48 - Apr 14 with 3006 viewsfactual_blue

Florida suggestions on 12:47 - Apr 14 by ElderGrizzly

If you’re going to Kennedy a lot of the really interesting behind the scenes stuff is shut at the moment due to Space X launches.

It might be over by the time you get there and if so, try and get on one of the special interest tours. You can pop to one of the launchpads which is superb

Can you visit the studios where the 'moon landings' were filmed?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Florida suggestions on 12:51 - Apr 14 with 3005 viewsPendejo

Florida suggestions on 12:47 - Apr 14 by ElderGrizzly

Are there any launches due?

I was there for a shuttle launch in 92, a memorable experience.*

*was parked with hundreds of others at the side of a highway close to space center, the shock waves from the tickets really rattle the ribs.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Florida suggestions on 13:04 - Apr 14 with 2989 viewsMcGoaaaldrick

Florida suggestions on 12:24 - Apr 14 by Moisha

Did an air-boat trip and fed the crocodiles and alligators at a park which was a good day out.

Second this, but make sure you go at night when it’s cooler and you’ll see so much more than the day.

Ian Marshall.....he scores when he wants.

Florida suggestions on 13:06 - Apr 14 with 2977 viewsSpruceMoose

Florida suggestions on 12:24 - Apr 14 by Moisha

Also, funnily enough, that was the last day anyone ever saw your missus!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Florida suggestions on 13:10 - Apr 14 with 2965 viewsWhymarkmariner

First time I went there me and the missus did a boat trip. Do you remember the scene in Only Fools where Dell Boy called out to Barry Gibb. On the boat trip you will be told where all the stars live along the river bank. As someone else pointed out a fan boat trip on the Everglades is great as well. The guy who took us knew exactly where the alligators were and stopped the boat. One came out to see us and I got an excellent photo of it.
Florida suggestions on 13:17 - Apr 14 with 2951 viewsElderGrizzly

Avoid these birds

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/14/cassowary-attack-giant-bird-kill
Florida suggestions on 22:34 - Apr 14 with 2816 viewsbluelagos

Thx for the comments.

Flying into Fort Lauderdale and out of Miami

Am undecided whether to do 1, 2 or 3 weeks atm.

Was thinking of a road trip to New Orleans....

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Florida suggestions on 23:12 - Apr 14 with 2776 viewsPinewoodblue

Florida suggestions on 22:34 - Apr 14 by bluelagos

Thx for the comments.

If you are thinking of a road trip from Miami to New Orleans perhaps you should consider a direct flight home from there.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Florida suggestions on 23:19 - Apr 14 with 2768 viewsZoomba

One tip if you've never been to America in general before is be careful of toll roads, they generally have a higher speed limit and are better kept but can end up costing you quite a bit dependant on distance travelled, and because the toll booths are every 5 miles or so can slow down your journey if you're not properly prepared with a toll pass of somekind.

EDIT: Oh and if you're using a GPS, be careful around the Orlando area if you go on Interstate 4. They're rebuilding alot of the junctions and with that GPS can get massively confused by the works.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 23:21]
Florida suggestions on 12:17 - Apr 15 with 2617 viewsfloridablue

Thx for the comments.

I've driven from the Orlando area to Orleans 10 plus years ago and it was about a 10 hour drive. We went for a weekend musicfest , Rod Stewart etc. Apart from the French Quarter I wasn't impressed with the place but it was still suffering badly from the Hurricane that hit. Not a place I'd want to return to. If I was to ever go on another then it would be Savannah Georgia. From Ft Lauderdale theres some great beach towns, Deerfield and Delray springs to mind and if you've time take the more scenic coastal drive. ( i think A1A ) I try to steer clear of the Turnpike toll route at all costs!
Florida suggestions on 12:20 - Apr 15 with 2614 viewsKieran_Knows

Went last September - Kennedy Space Centre is a must IMO. Was a great day.

If you want a football fix, take in an Orlando City game. Nice stadium, standard isn't that great though (although they have just signed Nani - ex Man Utd).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Florida suggestions on 15:29 - Apr 15 with 2548 viewsSE1blue

Thx for the comments.

Did a road trip from Orlando to New Orleans two months ago but did it in a day.

Takes about 10 hours. Don't go the I-75 and I-10 route as you won't see anything really - apart from a lot of tree damage around the pan handle. The coastal road is a better/prettier route.

As another poster has mentioned, New Orleans is still suffering a little and trying to rebuild. it doesn't quite flow as a tourist city should. You'll find there's a lot of construction/repair work and many homeless.

I was really looking forward to New Orleans but found it a bit sleazy to be honest. It's a real drinkers town and not all are doing it for fun. It's hugely popular with stag/hen/college frat parties and had the feel of a musically-themed Tijuana or Gran Canaria to me. I'm in my forties though and twenty years ago I'd have enjoyed that...just not now. I'd come to hear music and feel the energy of New Orleans but didn't find it in many places.

Some of the homeless are quite pushy (read aggressive) and it clearly has the feel of a city that's had some troubled times and is trying to recover.

If New Orleans is on your bucket list, I'd give it more time to recover and maybe try somewhere else.

Florida suggestions on 15:35 - Apr 15 with 2538 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Here's a tip. Don't spend 3 weeks in one state, especially that one.
Florida suggestions on 15:37 - Apr 15 with 2534 viewsSE1blue

Florida suggestions on 15:29 - Apr 15 by SE1blue

Takes about 10 hours. Don't go the I-75 and I-10 route as you won't see anything really - apart from a lot of tree damage around the pan handle. The coastal road is a better/prettier route.

As another poster has mentioned, New Orleans is still suffering a little and trying to rebuild. it doesn't quite flow as a tourist city should. You'll find there's a lot of construction/repair work and many homeless.

I was really looking forward to New Orleans but found it a bit sleazy to be honest. It's a real drinkers town and not all are doing it for fun. It's hugely popular with stag/hen/college frat parties and had the feel of a musically-themed Tijuana or Gran Canaria to me. I'm in my forties though and twenty years ago I'd have enjoyed that...just not now. I'd come to hear music and feel the energy of New Orleans but didn't find it in many places.

Some of the homeless are quite pushy (read aggressive) and it clearly has the feel of a city that's had some troubled times and is trying to recover.

If New Orleans is on your bucket list, I'd give it more time to recover and maybe try somewhere else.

Oh and if doing Kennedy Space Centre (which is a must) try and get a launch day. They are not guaranteed to happen on the day you go but are a phenomenal experience if you get to see one go up.

Take plenty of your own food and drink though as the restaurant at the launch site is brutally expensive. Wife and I paid about $50 for a couple of sandwiches, crisps and a drink each. They have you by the tenders once you're on site.

And if you're bald like me...take a hat as there is little shade at the launch site.

Florida suggestions on 15:44 - Apr 15 with 2528 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Florida suggestions on 15:29 - Apr 15 by SE1blue

It has already been rebuilt it is now basically the same as it Pre Katrina. Sound like you spent most of your time on Bourbon street.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024