Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overcrowding at US national parks 23:15 - Nov 20 with 567 viewsStokieBlue

They are amazing of course but apparently the age of Instagram has seen spikes in visitor numbers of up to 20 times which is causing huge damage:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/20/national-parks-america-overc

Muir Woods has introduced prior reservation on parking and if you don't have a spot you basically can't go as all other parking is banned. Other parks are looking at it as well.

It's a shame because they are stunning and it's no wonder that everyone wants to see them - I guess something needs to be done though.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Overcrowding at US national parks on 08:13 - Nov 21 with 441 viewsSteve_M

It's a good piece and deals with the essential contradiction that people want to see stunning locations but without loads of other people there too. I use Instagram but put photos up that I like, not because thousands of other people have posted a variation on the same theme - is that just generational?

There are still really remote parts of the globe, they just take more money and effort to get there. Personally, however spectacular a view is, it's less spectacular with hundreds of other people around.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024