Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The End of Hope 21:19 - Oct 25 with 1330 viewsOldTimer2

It is hard to disagree with today's decision, anyone who witnessed the QPR game could see that there really was no way back. Hurst had clearly no sense of how to change things and, from what others have said, it is probable that too many bridges had been burnt internally.

If, as seems likely, it is Lambert, then I am sure he will get us up the table. Doubt it will be very pretty but not many of us have the appetite for League 1

And Lambert will stay and we will probably have another 3-4 years of flirting with play offs and finishing mid table, gates will fall and will probably never come back.

I don't want Lambert, not because of the Norwich connection, but for what he represents, a manager who no longer has real ambition and for whom this will be just another job on the merry go round. It is interesting that when new owners took over Wolves,with ambition they very quickly got rid of him. He has done reasonable jobs at Villa, Blackburn and Wolves and a very poor job at Stoke. Feels a bit like Jewell, living on past achievements but no real drive and ambition left.

This was the first season in a long time when I have been to every home game, starting with a sense of hope - not that we were going to storm the league - a mid table finish would have been fine - but that we would start to feel like it was our club again - probably for the first time since Jim was sacked.

And now that hope has gone and we will be quickly back to the same old mundane stuff and I will probably go back to finding other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

It feels even more poignant to be writing this, the day before the funeral of a player who made such an impression on me when I went to my first game 45 years ago, (we beat Derby 3-0)

Always hard to work out what Evans wants out of all this, if he likes football he cannot get much joy out of watching us play and now, having tried the unknown you sense that will be it.

Bobby Robson - thank you

The End of Hope on 21:25 - Oct 25 with 1266 viewsSteve_M

Yes, I understand that completely but I'm not sure how much Evans really bought into the fresh approach and how much, like the infamous five point plan, was just lip -service to fed up fans.

I don't really see a new approach until Evans sells up and he probably needs the club to stay up to minimise his loss so, in that regard, Lambert is ideal.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The End of Hope on 21:29 - Oct 25 with 1230 viewshomer_123

The End of Hope on 21:25 - Oct 25 by Steve_M

Yes, I understand that completely but I'm not sure how much Evans really bought into the fresh approach and how much, like the infamous five point plan, was just lip -service to fed up fans.

I don't really see a new approach until Evans sells up and he probably needs the club to stay up to minimise his loss so, in that regard, Lambert is ideal.

Anyone who bought into Evans video needs their head testing Steve.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The End of Hope on 21:33 - Oct 25 with 1201 viewsOldTimer2

The End of Hope on 21:29 - Oct 25 by homer_123

Anyone who bought into Evans video needs their head testing Steve.

You didn't have to buy into the video, it was a very obvious PR stunt. But you could think that maybe he understood that, purely from a business sense, he had to try something different and that is what Hurst represented. Now he will revert back to what he knows. all we can do is hope that he sells up fairly quickly to someone who actually wants to succeed.

Bobby Robson - thank you

The End of Hope on 21:35 - Oct 25 with 1171 viewshomer_123

The End of Hope on 21:33 - Oct 25 by OldTimer2

You didn't have to buy into the video, it was a very obvious PR stunt. But you could think that maybe he understood that, purely from a business sense, he had to try something different and that is what Hurst represented. Now he will revert back to what he knows. all we can do is hope that he sells up fairly quickly to someone who actually wants to succeed.

It's not that Evans doesn't want it to succeed, he clearly needs it to from a business perspective.

Lots of people changed their opinion and view of Evans based on that video alone, numbskulls I think would be an appropriate term for them.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The End of Hope on 21:35 - Oct 25 with 1169 viewsMaySixth

Excellent post

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The End of Hope on 21:37 - Oct 25 with 1146 viewsCaptMickMills

Well put. Describes most of his I feel.
The End of Hope on 22:11 - Oct 25 with 1025 viewsghostofescobar

Agree with most of that. To me it feels like a bit of both Jewell and MM: Jewell because of the living on past glories thing and MM because we need someone to get us organised and out of the sh1t, with a couple of years of dross football and mid table nothingness before he leaves with boos ringing in his ears. And meanwhile another couple of thousand fans drift away and we struggle to entice younger fans to PR. Hope I'm wrong

GhostOfEscobar

The End of Hope on 22:12 - Oct 25 with 1015 viewsNo9

As far as the appointment of PL is concerned one only has to lok at the betting list to see it wasn't much of a contest, all are on the 'manager merry go round'
Login to get fewer ads

The End of Hope on 22:16 - Oct 25 with 989 viewsOldTimer2

The End of Hope on 22:12 - Oct 25 by No9

As far as the appointment of PL is concerned one only has to lok at the betting list to see it wasn't much of a contest, all are on the 'manager merry go round'

But that was what Hurst represented, a jump off the merry go round. The fact that it has been such a disaster means it is unlikely to be repeated, whilst Evans is around

Bobby Robson - thank you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024