Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of play 08:53 - Sep 19 with 2200 viewsportmanking

I thought the main reason we wanted McCarthy out was because we were fed up of percentage football and wanted a more measured, technical approach to the game?

There's no getting away from the fact that Hurst is Mick 2.0 - he was recommended by Mick (as he stated in the Soccer Saturday studio) and spends more time on fitness than working on taking care of the football... which Brentford did magnificently last night may I add.
Style of play on 08:59 - Sep 19 with 2156 viewsJohnny_Boy

He had 6yrs to really craft that brand of football.
Style of play on 09:02 - Sep 19 with 2146 viewsHerbivore

We used the ball well in the second half and have done for spells in our opening 5 games too. We've had two and a half games of poor football that has been like a poor man's Mick. Let's give it a bit more time though, eh? Brentford have been together playing that way for 5 plus years, Hurst has been here 3 months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Style of play on 09:06 - Sep 19 with 2120 viewsportmanking

Style of play on 09:02 - Sep 19 by Herbivore

We used the ball well in the second half and have done for spells in our opening 5 games too. We've had two and a half games of poor football that has been like a poor man's Mick. Let's give it a bit more time though, eh? Brentford have been together playing that way for 5 plus years, Hurst has been here 3 months.

Oh come on. The second half was a little better granted, but even then it was like watching a second-rate version of our 2014/15 team in our pomp. Dean Smith alluded to how direct we were post-match.

All season so far it's been like watching Mick's FA Cup sides - hotch-potch, make do starting XIs with next to no gameplan, quality or cohesion.

No-one is asking for us to win 6 games on the spin (as nice as that would be) but a manager that sticks to his principles and plays the game the right way wouldn't go amiss.
Style of play on 09:06 - Sep 19 with 2117 viewsGarv

Have a word. Mick's problem wasn't long ball, it was a complete lack of entertainment.

Hurst has had a 8 games and a pre season. Players have admitted they are trying to implement a better style of play. In any case, wouldn't you want us to mix it up?

And I don't think Mick did recommend him.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Style of play on 09:09 - Sep 19 with 2092 viewsportmanking

Style of play on 09:06 - Sep 19 by Garv

Have a word. Mick's problem wasn't long ball, it was a complete lack of entertainment.

Hurst has had a 8 games and a pre season. Players have admitted they are trying to implement a better style of play. In any case, wouldn't you want us to mix it up?

And I don't think Mick did recommend him.

Can you honestly say you've been entertained so far this season? It's been like watching a car crash in slow motion for me.

And yes, Mick did recommend him. Unless he made a bare-faced lie on worldwide TV.
Style of play on 09:12 - Sep 19 with 2083 viewsstrikalite

Think it's needs must at the moment, watched Shrews last season and that was very pleasing on the eye, everything on the deck, but to be fair I don't see too many total passing sides in the League, it's very much mixed up,much more physical for sure, second half we were much better, Nolan makes a difference imo, whatever you say about him you can see that his touch is good and thought he fed Jackson well down the flanks..

Thankfully, we won't meet too many better sides than Brentford, their one touch stuff is real quality, just like Fulham last season.
Style of play on 09:13 - Sep 19 with 2078 viewsHerbivore

Style of play on 09:06 - Sep 19 by portmanking

Oh come on. The second half was a little better granted, but even then it was like watching a second-rate version of our 2014/15 team in our pomp. Dean Smith alluded to how direct we were post-match.

All season so far it's been like watching Mick's FA Cup sides - hotch-potch, make do starting XIs with next to no gameplan, quality or cohesion.

No-one is asking for us to win 6 games on the spin (as nice as that would be) but a manager that sticks to his principles and plays the game the right way wouldn't go amiss.

You're talking guff.

Style of play on 09:14 - Sep 19 with 2064 viewsportmanking

Style of play on 09:13 - Sep 19 by Herbivore

You're talking guff.

It's okay, I know you like the sound of your own voice and can't handle debate, I'll put you on ignore and save us both the hassle.
Login to get fewer ads

Style of play on 09:16 - Sep 19 with 2049 viewsHerbivore

Style of play on 09:14 - Sep 19 by portmanking

It's okay, I know you like the sound of your own voice and can't handle debate, I'll put you on ignore and save us both the hassle.

I'd definitely rather listen to me than to your hyperbolic tripe. Ignore away, princess.

Style of play on 09:18 - Sep 19 with 2032 viewsGarv

Style of play on 09:09 - Sep 19 by portmanking

Can you honestly say you've been entertained so far this season? It's been like watching a car crash in slow motion for me.

And yes, Mick did recommend him. Unless he made a bare-faced lie on worldwide TV.

At times yes. We've tried to play between the lines through the middle of the pitch, which we didn't do before. Edwards is entertaining.

Norwich early second half was entertaining, it was poor that we didn't get a second as we had two good chances.

Haven't seen any away games but even highlights from our worst game - Hull - show us creating a chance with good passing football through the middle of the pitch.

Style of play on 09:22 - Sep 19 with 2019 viewsJohnny_Boy

Style of play on 09:12 - Sep 19 by strikalite

Think it's needs must at the moment, watched Shrews last season and that was very pleasing on the eye, everything on the deck, but to be fair I don't see too many total passing sides in the League, it's very much mixed up,much more physical for sure, second half we were much better, Nolan makes a difference imo, whatever you say about him you can see that his touch is good and thought he fed Jackson well down the flanks..

Thankfully, we won't meet too many better sides than Brentford, their one touch stuff is real quality, just like Fulham last season.

Must be honest here, first I saw Of his Shrews side was against Rotherham in the L1 playoff final.
My honest (if unpopular) thoughts I posted on here was, it looked a bit 'hoofy'.

But there's been some encouraging (if brief) periods of good passing play. The players need more time playing together - think that's abundantly clear, especially when the squads seemingly been cobbled together last minute.

Course, that's been another criticism which can be levelled at Hurst.
Style of play on 09:24 - Sep 19 with 2007 viewsportmanking

Style of play on 09:18 - Sep 19 by Garv

At times yes. We've tried to play between the lines through the middle of the pitch, which we didn't do before. Edwards is entertaining.

Norwich early second half was entertaining, it was poor that we didn't get a second as we had two good chances.

Haven't seen any away games but even highlights from our worst game - Hull - show us creating a chance with good passing football through the middle of the pitch.

I will agree that Edwards is entertaining - ironically just the type of wide man that Mick would have signed in his Sunderland/Wolves days but didn't appear keen to sign at Town.

Playing between the lines should be a prerequisite for any good football team, no? Even Mick's direct sides had players who'd pick up bits and pieces from knock-downs and thread balls through. But Hurst's style of play looks more akin to Mick's than a style which would see us attempt to dictate the tempo of a game and look after the ball, a la Brentford, which is disappointing IMO.
Style of play on 09:26 - Sep 19 with 1997 viewshadleighboyblue

Style of play on 09:09 - Sep 19 by portmanking

First half last night was a mess , with Brentford's slick play we were chasing shadows but surely the 2nd half was encouraging .

Too many people wallowing in negativity seeming to want us to fail .
Style of play on 09:27 - Sep 19 with 1983 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Style of play on 09:12 - Sep 19 by strikalite

Where do they get all they players from? all were good on the ball.

No academy?

apparently the 2 cbs were 20yrs olds
Style of play on 09:31 - Sep 19 with 1960 viewsJohnny_Boy

Style of play on 09:06 - Sep 19 by portmanking

Brentford, for all of their dominance in the first half, were more than happy to settle for the draw around the 80th minute mark @ 1-1.

The short pass from the GK to LB, then back to the keeper, then the entire back 4, then back to the GK. They knew our sails were up. This happened many times. They weren't interested in the win.

Not enough credit to our squad for that second half display.
Style of play on 09:35 - Sep 19 with 1945 viewsHerbivore

Style of play on 09:31 - Sep 19 by Johnny_Boy

Brentford, for all of their dominance in the first half, were more than happy to settle for the draw around the 80th minute mark @ 1-1.

The short pass from the GK to LB, then back to the keeper, then the entire back 4, then back to the GK. They knew our sails were up. This happened many times. They weren't interested in the win.

Not enough credit to our squad for that second half display.

Yep, they looked content to take the point in the end. They rallied briefly after our equaliser but last 10 minutes it looked like if anyone was going to take the win it would be us. We pressed much higher up the pitch and forced them into errors and when we had the ball we used it much better than in the first half when we were just launching it aimlessly and giving it back to Brentford.

Style of play on 09:36 - Sep 19 with 1939 viewsStokieBlue

I don't believe you've moaned about the half-time refreshments yet today.

Still time for you to go to the full house though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Style of play on 09:40 - Sep 19 with 1911 viewsportmanking

Style of play on 09:36 - Sep 19 by StokieBlue

I don't believe you've moaned about the half-time refreshments yet today.

Still time for you to go to the full house though.

SB

There's a difference between moaning and being seriously concerned about the future of the football club I've supported from the age of three.

I just fail to see how Hurst has been a step forward for the football club in any way. The only thing that's been different since Mick's departure is the drain of proven performers at this level from our squad.
Style of play on 09:42 - Sep 19 with 1899 viewsHerbivore

Style of play on 09:40 - Sep 19 by portmanking

There's a difference between moaning and being seriously concerned about the future of the football club I've supported from the age of three.

I just fail to see how Hurst has been a step forward for the football club in any way. The only thing that's been different since Mick's departure is the drain of proven performers at this level from our squad.

Maybe give him more than 8 games, babe?

Style of play on 09:48 - Sep 19 with 1879 viewsstrikalite

Style of play on 09:27 - Sep 19 by BtreeBlueBlood

Where do they get all they players from? all were good on the ball.

No academy?

apparently the 2 cbs were 20yrs olds

Good recruitment I suppose, but this pressing game that most of the Championship Clubs play now has to be considered and has been, it's not that pleasing on the eye, both teams trying to get up the pitch, it's so much easier to do that going long than playing short, again it's awful to watch be there you go..

Think Hurst is trying to mix it up, at times last night we had time to play but they looked so nervy(lack of confidence?)on the ball, it's like nobody wanted it..second half they started to want it again and had more options.
Style of play on 10:00 - Sep 19 with 1862 viewscrunchie1978

I have to agree...I thought the 1st half was as bad as anything under Mick.
And of course your going to improve in the 2nd half when you take off your worst player and bring on your best.
I do think there maybe something behind these rumours regarding the senior players not being happy....but these are the senior players partly responsible for the c##p we've had to watch in recent years.
I think untill all the remains of micks team are gone(Bart aside) Hurst has a problem....and it clearly shows.
But I do think he has to shoulder some blame because at times with his team selection is looking like he's clutching at straws....and he's been successful throughout his managerial career so far....has he ever had this bad spell off form and got over it?
I really hope I've proved wrong but another bad performance and no win Saturday and the writings on the wall.
Style of play on 10:14 - Sep 19 with 1813 viewsStokieBlue

Style of play on 09:40 - Sep 19 by portmanking

You've felt the need to start about 4 threads on it as well as do it on various others this morning.

He needs some time, everyone else got time.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Style of play on 10:19 - Sep 19 with 1801 viewsGarv

Style of play on 09:24 - Sep 19 by portmanking

I will agree that Edwards is entertaining - ironically just the type of wide man that Mick would have signed in his Sunderland/Wolves days but didn't appear keen to sign at Town.

Playing between the lines should be a prerequisite for any good football team, no? Even Mick's direct sides had players who'd pick up bits and pieces from knock-downs and thread balls through. But Hurst's style of play looks more akin to Mick's than a style which would see us attempt to dictate the tempo of a game and look after the ball, a la Brentford, which is disappointing IMO.

We might be splitting hairs but I regard playing through the lines as passing forward down the middle of the pitch, as opposed to using the flanks and then playing inside from there. For me, Mick was very much the latter.

At the moment we don't have the players to play a style that will help us dictate many games, not against good teams anyway. They just don't look good enough or cohesive as a unit.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024