Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever 15:59 - Feb 21 with 2638 viewsRadlett_blue

Leicester have agreed to pay the Football League £3.1m for exceeding the budget 4 years ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43146018

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:03 - Feb 21 with 2613 viewsMJallday

LCFC's wasnt as blatent as QPRs

however until QPR's legal case for their appeal gets sorted out (probbaly another 2 years) then we'll never know if it was toothless or pointless.

incidently, pleased to see they got whacked for £40m

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:17 - Feb 21 with 2561 viewsRadlett_blue

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:03 - Feb 21 by MJallday

however until QPR's legal case for their appeal gets sorted out (probbaly another 2 years) then we'll never know if it was toothless or pointless.

Yes, QPR's over-spending was on a totally different scale, although their case was somewhat different in that they had just been relegated from the PL & naturally had a very high wage bill. However, they made little attempt to cut it on relegation.
The real problem is that the FL has zero jurisdiction over a club once it has been promoted to the PL. The PL don't give a flying one & would rather a promoted club was competitive than be crippled with a huge fine. So, the absurdity is that a club can only be made to pay its fine once it has been relegated.
The transfer embargos are more effective, but again only work with a club which remains in the FL.

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:24 - Feb 21 with 2514 viewsPinewoodblue

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:17 - Feb 21 by Radlett_blue

Yes, QPR's over-spending was on a totally different scale, although their case was somewhat different in that they had just been relegated from the PL & naturally had a very high wage bill. However, they made little attempt to cut it on relegation.
The real problem is that the FL has zero jurisdiction over a club once it has been promoted to the PL. The PL don't give a flying one & would rather a promoted club was competitive than be crippled with a huge fine. So, the absurdity is that a club can only be made to pay its fine once it has been relegated.
The transfer embargos are more effective, but again only work with a club which remains in the FL.

No danger of town facing a transfer embargo.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:30 - Feb 21 with 2506 viewsRadlett_blue

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:24 - Feb 21 by Pinewoodblue

No danger of town facing a transfer embargo.

Would we notice?

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:33 - Feb 21 with 2501 viewsEastTownBlue

I'm sure that Leicester are now ruefully having a look back in time and are asking themselves, was it all worth it ?
Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:33 - Feb 21 with 2487 viewsNo9

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:03 - Feb 21 by MJallday

Leicester probably don't have the money in the background QPR have.
If the FA took QPR to the courts on a very dubious case, QPR could probably bankrupt the FA.
Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:35 - Feb 21 with 2495 viewsDarth_Koont

FFP has screwed over Evans I think. Although I'm sure some could argue it's given him an excuse not to spend even if the overall debt and his continued exposure goes against that.

Personally, I was glad we had a chairman who embraced it because ultimately that's what the game needs. Unfortunately there weren't enough of the chairmen and owners who did and also the penalties are largely after the fact and paid for by Premiership money so pointless. But Evans can feel a little hard done by from the FA, the FL, UEFA, FIFA and whoever should have been protecting and rewarding those who followed FFP far more than it seems they have.

The fines should be hefty and go to the clubs who they "stole" an advantage from, not the authorities who did little to enforce it. And if it's not practical to readdress it with money, dock them points on a return to the Championship just like they do with clubs that go into administration.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 16:36]

Pronouns: He/Him

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:39 - Feb 21 with 2466 viewsPinewoodblue

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:35 - Feb 21 by Darth_Koont

FFP has screwed over Evans I think. Although I'm sure some could argue it's given him an excuse not to spend even if the overall debt and his continued exposure goes against that.

Personally, I was glad we had a chairman who embraced it because ultimately that's what the game needs. Unfortunately there weren't enough of the chairmen and owners who did and also the penalties are largely after the fact and paid for by Premiership money so pointless. But Evans can feel a little hard done by from the FA, the FL, UEFA, FIFA and whoever should have been protecting and rewarding those who followed FFP far more than it seems they have.

The fines should be hefty and go to the clubs who they "stole" an advantage from, not the authorities who did little to enforce it. And if it's not practical to readdress it with money, dock them points on a return to the Championship just like they do with clubs that go into administration.

Evans could double the amount he puts in each year and still not break the current FFP rules.

The 'fines' go to charity as the Premier League objected to the money being shared between the good guys.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:42 - Feb 21 with 2445 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:39 - Feb 21 by Pinewoodblue

Evans could double the amount he puts in each year and still not break the current FFP rules.

The 'fines' go to charity as the Premier League objected to the money being shared between the good guys.

not into grass roots football
Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:43 - Feb 21 with 2440 viewsRadlett_blue

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:35 - Feb 21 by Darth_Koont

I supported the idea of FFP as ultimately, 2nd tier clubs can't keep running up huge losses unless they keep finding new mugs to pick up the bills & we will see more administrations. However, many FL chairmen disagreed with FFP as they felt it was impinging on their ability to compete with the parachute clubs. Bournemouth would never have got to the PL without breaching FFP.
With the huge riches on offer in the PL, it seems there will be enough chairmen around willing to roll the dice. Evans is not one of them & I don't particularly blame him for that. Do the many people who want him out realise how much it will cost to give Town a realistic chance of being competitive?

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:51 - Feb 21 with 2406 viewsBent_double

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:33 - Feb 21 by No9

Leicester probably don't have the money in the background QPR have.
If the FA took QPR to the courts on a very dubious case, QPR could probably bankrupt the FA.

How is QPRs case dubious? They knew the FFP rules and blatantly ignored them, and got promoted because of the money they spent. Seems cut and dried to me.

QPR should pay the fine, which in turn should be distributed amongst Championship clubs, if they don't it should be transfer embargos and a minumum 10-points a season deduction til they do cough up.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:55 - Feb 21 with 2383 viewsNo9

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:51 - Feb 21 by Bent_double

How is QPRs case dubious? They knew the FFP rules and blatantly ignored them, and got promoted because of the money they spent. Seems cut and dried to me.

QPR should pay the fine, which in turn should be distributed amongst Championship clubs, if they don't it should be transfer embargos and a minumum 10-points a season deduction til they do cough up.

If QPR tunred up in court and shawed the FFP had never been ratified as 'law of the land' ?
If they challenged on any number of other clubs who had ignored FFP and not been put in the dock by the FA?
The real problem with the FA, & has been for years is that they do not treat all clubs the same.
That goes right back to the years when Sir Stan Matthews was manager of Port Vale who got expelld but many big teams guilty of the same offences went unpunished.
Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:59 - Feb 21 with 2385 viewsDarth_Koont

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:43 - Feb 21 by Radlett_blue

I supported the idea of FFP as ultimately, 2nd tier clubs can't keep running up huge losses unless they keep finding new mugs to pick up the bills & we will see more administrations. However, many FL chairmen disagreed with FFP as they felt it was impinging on their ability to compete with the parachute clubs. Bournemouth would never have got to the PL without breaching FFP.
With the huge riches on offer in the PL, it seems there will be enough chairmen around willing to roll the dice. Evans is not one of them & I don't particularly blame him for that. Do the many people who want him out realise how much it will cost to give Town a realistic chance of being competitive?

Yeah, that's why UEFA takes a lot of the criticism. The Football League and probably even the FA can't force the Premier League to do anything but UEFA have a remit that covers the wider competitive environment of European football.

Seems like they haven't particularly enforced it because it might have affected their share of the trough or underestimated the legal standing. Either way they needed to make more of a stand re: FFP or they're failing in their essential remit.

Here are a couple of their values they appear only to pay lip service to:

Football First
In everything that we do, football must always be the first and most important element that we take into consideration. Football is a game before being a product, a sport before being a market, a show before being a business.

Financial Fair Play
UEFA supports fair play both on and off the pitch. Financial fair play means that clubs operate transparently and responsibly, to protect both sporting competition and the clubs themselves. Financial fair play means clubs not getting into a spiral of debt to compete with their rivals but rather competing with their own means, ie the resources they generate.

In fact a read of all 11 "values" shows an organisation out of step with reality or at least dominated by hubris. The FA and FL seem exactly the same too.

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/eleven-values/index.html
[Post edited 21 Feb 2018 16:59]

Pronouns: He/Him

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 17:42 - Feb 21 with 2295 viewsFreddy

It's a joke
Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 18:07 - Feb 21 with 2251 viewsRadlett_blue

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:55 - Feb 21 by No9

If QPR tunred up in court and shawed the FFP had never been ratified as 'law of the land' ?
If they challenged on any number of other clubs who had ignored FFP and not been put in the dock by the FA?
The real problem with the FA, & has been for years is that they do not treat all clubs the same.
That goes right back to the years when Sir Stan Matthews was manager of Port Vale who got expelld but many big teams guilty of the same offences went unpunished.

Yes, I do recall when Port Vale were expelled from the Football League in 1968 for making illicit payments. While it seemed a harsh penalty, they were pretty much unanimously re-elected at the annual Old Pals Act. I also remember Peterborough effectively being relegated from division 3 that season after a massive points deduction for a similar offence.
I believe Man Utd were found guilty of a similar offence around that time, but were only fined.

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 18:08 - Feb 21 with 2248 viewsIllinoisblue

Financial Fair Play as toothless as ever on 16:43 - Feb 21 by Radlett_blue

I disagree; let the market dictate what happens. If a few clubs go into administration or worse then so be it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024