Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dolly Reviews - art 21:08 - Oct 5 with 16547 viewsDolly2.0

Something I don't think I've seen discussed on here...

I went to the Frieze Art Fair in Hyde Park this afternoon. Some weird stuff, some rubbish, some that literally looked life a five year old's drawing you'd see on a parent's fridge, some where I think they're taking the piss (a painting that was just a huge canvas painted black) or having a laugh (a row of cacti with dildos stuck in the top)... but always at these sorts of events, and art galleries, I genuinely see stuff that's amazing.

A few stood out... a painting that was like a blurred photograph and made you feel weird if you looked at it and walked towards it... a giant painting of a narrow side street scene that felt like you could actually walk into it... an abstract piece made from thousands of tiny dots... and a long piece that was lots of tiny swirls done entirely in blue biro.

The place was also full of pretentious w@nkers in bizarre clothes/stylish individuals pushing boundaries (depending on your POV).

As someone from a background of working in Tescos and not experiencing this sort of stuff until later in life, I find it fascinating. And fascinating how some bits can really draw me in despite not being an 'arty' person in the past.

I tend to begin thinking all this is above my head and I'm in the wrong place for someone like me, but always then find something I like, find interesting, thought provoking... and sometimes moving (there was a piece that was lots of photographs of bottles of water - with a place, date, time, and person's name and age on each. Reading the blurb on the side revealed that these were all water used to wash an area where someone was murdered in LA - the names and ages being the person and their age when they were killed. Most were mid twenties to mid thirties).

What are your views on art, art galleries and events like this?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:17 - Oct 5 with 8066 viewsIllinoisblue

i love this kind of stuff from Vincent Laforet - ariel photography and then some. Simple concept - looking at things from a different perspective - but brilliantly executed.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:18 - Oct 5 with 8050 viewsWeWereZombies

Very subjective, isn't it? If it makes you think in a new or different way I guess it is art. My big one this year was noticing there was a Bill Viola retrospective on in Hamburg when i arrived there. Didn't see as much of Hamburg as maybe I intended and spent six hours indoors on a sunny day but his video installations just fascinate the hell out of me.

Love a good old school gallery too, like the Prado or the Louvre, somehow makes me feel I have properly arrived in a country if i can have a days submersion in their national art treasures.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:24 - Oct 5 with 8029 viewsDolly2.0

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:17 - Oct 5 by Illinoisblue

i love this kind of stuff from Vincent Laforet - ariel photography and then some. Simple concept - looking at things from a different perspective - but brilliantly executed.

I love that. Looks so weird/spooky this way up. Like you say, a simple concept but fascinating.

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:24 - Oct 5 with 8028 viewsjeera

Good for you. There's no need to be an expert is there in order to enjoy something, and, as anyone worth their salt will say anyway, it isn't always about trying to see what the even the artist is trying to get across - it's about what you take from a piece.

Although of course it's interesting to learn the artist's perspective too!

If you enjoy that sort of thing it may be worth looking at a short course just so you may see stuff you could normally miss, you know, how to 'read' a piece and notice a few techniques etc which adds to the experience in general.

Btw, I know eff all myself, but art was introduced in an OU course I took and I found some of it quite enlightening.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 21:30]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:32 - Oct 5 with 7982 viewscaught-in-limbo

I love art galleries and museums and never miss a chance to take visitors from England to the Guggenheim in Bilbao. The exhibitions can be a bit hit and miss but there was a fantastic Hockney exhibition there a couple of years back but even if the art doesn't appeal, the building is just fantastic. Good idea to do a trip of the new San Mames, which is just a couple of hundred metres down the river, while you're there.

Here's one of my favourite contemporary art websites:
http://stoptheonion.com
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 21:34]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:38 - Oct 5 with 7987 viewsDolly2.0

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:24 - Oct 5 by jeera

Good for you. There's no need to be an expert is there in order to enjoy something, and, as anyone worth their salt will say anyway, it isn't always about trying to see what the even the artist is trying to get across - it's about what you take from a piece.

Although of course it's interesting to learn the artist's perspective too!

If you enjoy that sort of thing it may be worth looking at a short course just so you may see stuff you could normally miss, you know, how to 'read' a piece and notice a few techniques etc which adds to the experience in general.

Btw, I know eff all myself, but art was introduced in an OU course I took and I found some of it quite enlightening.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 21:30]

I didn't even know there were courses on reading art!

I do think it's interesting that a place like this, which was full of proper 'arty' types (who probably did know what to look for) can still move, inspire and provoke someone not from that kind of background.

I guess a love of art is in all of us. Some might say it's proof of something spiritual (I deliberately held back from the word "God") because in reality it's of no real benefit evolutionarily speaking.

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:47 - Oct 5 with 7965 viewsIllinoisblue

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:24 - Oct 5 by Dolly2.0

I love that. Looks so weird/spooky this way up. Like you say, a simple concept but fascinating.

just ordered one of his coffee table books. Would like to have one of his original prints but they're thousands of dollars!!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:49 - Oct 5 with 7936 viewscaught-in-limbo

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:38 - Oct 5 by Dolly2.0

I do think it's interesting that a place like this, which was full of proper 'arty' types (who probably did know what to look for) can still move, inspire and provoke someone not from that kind of background.

I guess a love of art is in all of us. Some might say it's proof of something spiritual (I deliberately held back from the word "God") because in reality it's of no real benefit evolutionarily speaking.

This is a really refreshing thread to see in TWTD land - let's face it putting your hand up on a football forum and saying "I came over a bit arty-farty" is quite brave.

Unfortunately, after this giant leap into the relative unknown come crashing back to terra firma with:

"Some might say it's proof of something spiritual (I deliberately held back from the word "God") because in reality it's of no real benefit evolutionarily speaking."

That sentence seems such a contradiction to me. Has there been a scientific study to determine that art (in all its forms) has had no real evolutionary benefit to mankind?
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 21:50]

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:55 - Oct 5 with 7930 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Personally, it's not my thing at all. I don't agree that a few splatters on a page should be sold for 10m when it's literally paintings of nothing.

If a toddler drew some of these expensive paintings, nobody would bat an eyelid but because the artist happens to be famous, people clamour to have it. I don't get that. The reason these artists are famous is because they can draw great things you and I can't. So why pay millions of pounds for something that you and I could draw/paint.

Though I get it is each to their own. I only responded as you asked for thoughts

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:56 - Oct 5 with 7922 viewsDolly2.0

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:49 - Oct 5 by caught-in-limbo

This is a really refreshing thread to see in TWTD land - let's face it putting your hand up on a football forum and saying "I came over a bit arty-farty" is quite brave.

Unfortunately, after this giant leap into the relative unknown come crashing back to terra firma with:

"Some might say it's proof of something spiritual (I deliberately held back from the word "God") because in reality it's of no real benefit evolutionarily speaking."

That sentence seems such a contradiction to me. Has there been a scientific study to determine that art (in all its forms) has had no real evolutionary benefit to mankind?
[Post edited 5 Oct 2017 21:50]

I don't know, I was giving an opinion. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Bit harsh to say I've come crashing back down to terra firma. I also don't see where the contradiction is.

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:01 - Oct 5 with 7915 viewsDolly2.0

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:55 - Oct 5 by The_Romford_Blue

Personally, it's not my thing at all. I don't agree that a few splatters on a page should be sold for 10m when it's literally paintings of nothing.

If a toddler drew some of these expensive paintings, nobody would bat an eyelid but because the artist happens to be famous, people clamour to have it. I don't get that. The reason these artists are famous is because they can draw great things you and I can't. So why pay millions of pounds for something that you and I could draw/paint.

Though I get it is each to their own. I only responded as you asked for thoughts

Fair enough, I used to think like that.

Have you been to an art gallery? Not meaning to be patronising, genuine question.

We're facebook friends so feel free to have a look at some of the bits I liked and photographed, and give your views. As I mention on some, it's often hard to appreciate them without the scale.

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:02 - Oct 5 with 7909 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:56 - Oct 5 by Dolly2.0

Bit harsh to say I've come crashing back down to terra firma. I also don't see where the contradiction is.

I'm impartial here and I'd say that doesn't show any contradiction. Though I have to admit to having no idea where Terra Firma is or what that even means

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:07 - Oct 5 with 7900 viewsDolly2.0

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:02 - Oct 5 by The_Romford_Blue

I'm impartial here and I'd say that doesn't show any contradiction. Though I have to admit to having no idea where Terra Firma is or what that even means

It means earth, the ground. It's a phrase.

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:08 - Oct 5 with 7895 viewsjeera

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:02 - Oct 5 by The_Romford_Blue

You're funny.

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:09 - Oct 5 with 7876 viewscaught-in-limbo

Dolly Reviews - art on 21:56 - Oct 5 by Dolly2.0

Don't worry, I won't be proving you wrong - I sincerely doubt anyone will ever prove the impact of spirituality on the evolution of mankind either way.

Apologies for saying you came crashing back down to earth, it was a bit harsh. That said, I don't think your sojourn to the world of art took you very high above sea level.

Just read that back to myself, and I'm sure that comes across as a bit snooty. I really don't mean it to be.

#toxic

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:47 - Oct 5 with 7860 viewsWeWereZombies

If a love of art builds empathy between people then it is useful for acting in unison and beneficial for understanding. That may have evolutionary advantages - on the condition that it becomes a successful adaptation.

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:52 - Oct 5 with 7854 viewsjeera

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:47 - Oct 5 by WeWereZombies

If a love of art builds empathy between people then it is useful for acting in unison and beneficial for understanding. That may have evolutionary advantages - on the condition that it becomes a successful adaptation.

Not to mention political in many instances.

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:57 - Oct 5 with 7840 viewsDarth_Koont

Art is possibly the clearest expression of our evolution. It's the ability to imagine and communicate abstract ideas that has set us apart not just from other animals but also other human species like the Neanderthals.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dolly Reviews - art on 23:00 - Oct 5 with 7828 viewsDolly2.0

Dolly Reviews - art on 22:57 - Oct 5 by Darth_Koont

Art is possibly the clearest expression of our evolution. It's the ability to imagine and communicate abstract ideas that has set us apart not just from other animals but also other human species like the Neanderthals.

For a second there I read that as "the Netherlands" and wondered they'd done to piss you off.

Dolly Reviews - art on 23:03 - Oct 5 with 7823 viewsjeera

Dolly Reviews - art on 23:00 - Oct 5 by Dolly2.0

For a second there I read that as "the Netherlands" and wondered they'd done to piss you off.

The Dutch and their bloody wall paintings.

Dolly Reviews - art on 23:05 - Oct 5 with 7812 viewsDarth_Koont

Dolly Reviews - art on 23:00 - Oct 5 by Dolly2.0

They're too bloody cheerful for starters.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dolly Reviews - art on 23:27 - Oct 5 with 7771 viewsWeWereZombies

Keep an eye on FutureLearn for free online art appreciation course, they don't have any general ones at the moment but there are a couple of quirky ones about to kick off:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/medicine-and-the-arts?lr=8

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/socially-engaged-art?lr=11

The American equivalent has:

https://www.edx.org/course/european-paintings-leonardo-rembrandt-uc3mx-ceh-1-enx

(closed course but you can probably still look at it and do the course, only drawback is that, sorry Facters, you can no longer buy a participants certificate)

Dolly Reviews - art on 05:54 - Oct 6 with 7648 viewsBenters

We have had art threads on here before.

My all time fav is John Constable i bloody love his paintings.

Second it would have to be L.S.Lowry his paintings are so full of life.

Third would have to be Alfred Wallis his paintings of life in Cornwall are ace.

Thank and good day.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Dolly Reviews - art on 06:48 - Oct 6 with 7633 viewsWarkystache

Dolly Reviews - art on 05:54 - Oct 6 by Benters

We have had art threads on here before.

My all time fav is John Constable i bloody love his paintings.

Second it would have to be L.S.Lowry his paintings are so full of life.

Third would have to be Alfred Wallis his paintings of life in Cornwall are ace.

Thank and good day.

I love a lot of art and dislike a lot as well. It can relate to any; there's a lot of Banksy graffiti I appreciate, and a lot of children's book illustrators who rank as high as anything produced by Rembrandt or Constable.

Personally, I've never warmed to Hockney or Monet. That's not to say it's rubbish though.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Dolly Reviews - art on 07:03 - Oct 6 with 7611 viewsBenters

Dolly Reviews - art on 06:48 - Oct 6 by Warkystache

I love a lot of art and dislike a lot as well. It can relate to any; there's a lot of Banksy graffiti I appreciate, and a lot of children's book illustrators who rank as high as anything produced by Rembrandt or Constable.

Personally, I've never warmed to Hockney or Monet. That's not to say it's rubbish though.

I bet you know our 'joint' friends family had a connection with Alfred Munnings?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024