Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quite interesting from Corbyn 11:22 - Sep 24 with 4849 viewsStokieBlue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41376138

So the reason he is lacklustre with his support for staying in the single market is because it will hamper his efforts to nationalise industries and provide state support.

At least he's honest about that but I wonder how it will sit with Labour voters? Are they going to want the single market or nationalisation?

If he wants to push through his last manifesto then not having to abide by EU competition and state aid laws would certainly be a help to him.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:27 - Sep 24 with 4831 viewsNo9

As other EU countries havs shown and asto how EU rules work it is possible to nationalise industries, you just have to go about it he right way & not ignore the guidelines.
That is why there are many nationalised EU companies - some making a fortune out of the UK governments incompetence?

BTW it was interesting that Mr Marr never showed the same diligence when interviweing Mr Davis. Just as if the BBC are running scared of the Brexiteers?
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:29 - Sep 24 with 4826 viewsStokieBlue

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:27 - Sep 24 by No9

As other EU countries havs shown and asto how EU rules work it is possible to nationalise industries, you just have to go about it he right way & not ignore the guidelines.
That is why there are many nationalised EU companies - some making a fortune out of the UK governments incompetence?

BTW it was interesting that Mr Marr never showed the same diligence when interviweing Mr Davis. Just as if the BBC are running scared of the Brexiteers?

How many of those companies were nationalised after being privatised?

I suspect very few? Do you have numbers?

I actually can see his reasoning here - he's finally being honest on his position on the EU and why which is rather good.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:34 - Sep 24 with 4816 viewsNo9

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:29 - Sep 24 by StokieBlue

How many of those companies were nationalised after being privatised?

I suspect very few? Do you have numbers?

I actually can see his reasoning here - he's finally being honest on his position on the EU and why which is rather good.

SB

Well in the UK Andrew Adonis followed the rules and 'nationalised' East Coast rail - which you may recall returned a profit to the treasury.
In Germany the governemnt is in the process of taking back the electric national grids from at least one of the private companies.
France has been investigating taking Alstom into public control.
How many times has the Italian government bought back into Ferrari?

Sorry I don't have time to do more at the moment but there has never been any question of not allowing DB, SNCF, Areva, et al from remaining in the public sector - it is just a matter of how it's done.
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:38 - Sep 24 with 4800 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:34 - Sep 24 by No9

Well in the UK Andrew Adonis followed the rules and 'nationalised' East Coast rail - which you may recall returned a profit to the treasury.
In Germany the governemnt is in the process of taking back the electric national grids from at least one of the private companies.
France has been investigating taking Alstom into public control.
How many times has the Italian government bought back into Ferrari?

Sorry I don't have time to do more at the moment but there has never been any question of not allowing DB, SNCF, Areva, et al from remaining in the public sector - it is just a matter of how it's done.

Do they need to be profitable and audited though? I think Corbyn's plans include overstaffing, overpaying and funding all this with taxpayers money.
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:44 - Sep 24 with 4784 viewsNo9

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:38 - Sep 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Do they need to be profitable and audited though? I think Corbyn's plans include overstaffing, overpaying and funding all this with taxpayers money.

Andrew Adonis railway was profitable as confirmed by the treasury.
The industries in Europe that are nationalised seem to do very well and declare accounts.

The UK chucks money at wealthy organisations whether they need it or not.
One day the UK governemnt may have to explain how the LEP's are allowed to throw around so much taxpayers money unchecked or why we have to pay EU companies a fortune to provide our services ?
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:05 - Sep 24 with 4745 viewsbrazil1982

" At least he's honest about that but I wonder how it will sit with Labour voters? Are they going to want the single market or nationalisation? "

Promise free stuff again and they'll vote for Labour.
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:18 - Sep 24 with 4725 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 11:44 - Sep 24 by No9

Andrew Adonis railway was profitable as confirmed by the treasury.
The industries in Europe that are nationalised seem to do very well and declare accounts.

The UK chucks money at wealthy organisations whether they need it or not.
One day the UK governemnt may have to explain how the LEP's are allowed to throw around so much taxpayers money unchecked or why we have to pay EU companies a fortune to provide our services ?

Of course they're profitable in Europe I'm sure they're well run.

Meanwhile in the UK the Nationalised Highways Agency has still not delivered the M3 a year late. The reason being that it's constantly shut with nobody working on it..... money for old rope
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:20 - Sep 24 with 4713 viewsNo9

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:05 - Sep 24 by brazil1982

" At least he's honest about that but I wonder how it will sit with Labour voters? Are they going to want the single market or nationalisation? "

Competent politicians without the interests of wealthy overseas backers could, with a bit of ingenuity , probably get both to the benefit of the taxpayer
However a lot of paradigms would need to change.
Login to get fewer ads

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:24 - Sep 24 with 4714 viewsBlueBadger

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:20 - Sep 24 by No9

Competent politicians without the interests of wealthy overseas backers could, with a bit of ingenuity , probably get both to the benefit of the taxpayer
However a lot of paradigms would need to change.

Well yes, Labour would need competent ministers for starters.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:25 - Sep 24 with 4710 viewsBlueBadger

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:18 - Sep 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Meanwhile in the UK the Nationalised Highways Agency has still not delivered the M3 a year late. The reason being that it's constantly shut with nobody working on it..... money for old rope

And this is why austerity is ultimately a false saving. How much is being lost due to cuts meaning that the work can't be properly funded to go ahead?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:43 - Sep 24 with 4685 viewsSteve_M

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 12:05 - Sep 24 by brazil1982

Unlike, say, promising any old crap to get people to vote for Brexit?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 13:04 - Sep 24 with 4655 viewsNo9

The UK highways agency is a government company founded in 2015
Previoulsy the highways agency had been run by WS Atkins had it not?
But as it is a governemnt company it should be under the direct control of the DfT which means yopu can contact them directly with your concerns?

How many years did it take private contractors to complete the M3 / M27 junction 20 - at least?
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 20:09 - Sep 24 with 4506 viewsClapham_Junction

The M3 work is being done by Balfour Beatty, a private contractor.

You're right about it being money for old rope though.
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 20:33 - Sep 24 with 4476 viewsElderGrizzly

Well they’ve just voted to ban a vote on the topic of Brexit at any point in the Labour conference...
Quite interesting from Corbyn on 20:44 - Sep 24 with 4460 viewsbournemouthblue

Both National parties have their problems

The Tories look for more likely to implode with Boris playing his little games again

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 22:14 - Sep 24 with 4403 viewsThrobbe

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 13:04 - Sep 24 by No9

The UK highways agency is a government company founded in 2015
Previoulsy the highways agency had been run by WS Atkins had it not?
But as it is a governemnt company it should be under the direct control of the DfT which means yopu can contact them directly with your concerns?

How many years did it take private contractors to complete the M3 / M27 junction 20 - at least?

Atkins were one of the Highways Agency's area management contractors. They had Area 6, which includes Suffolk, until a few years ago. Amey took it over, but it's now run by Kier.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/markets/sectors/roads/kier-in-talks-to-replac

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 22:56 - Sep 24 with 4372 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 20:33 - Sep 24 by ElderGrizzly

Well they’ve just voted to ban a vote on the topic of Brexit at any point in the Labour conference...

Momentum democracy in action.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 08:40 - Sep 25 with 4292 viewsNo9

Quite interesting from Corbyn on 22:14 - Sep 24 by Throbbe

Atkins were one of the Highways Agency's area management contractors. They had Area 6, which includes Suffolk, until a few years ago. Amey took it over, but it's now run by Kier.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/markets/sectors/roads/kier-in-talks-to-replac

Roads like everything else handed over to private organisations are a total mess.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024