Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy bills 11:47 - Aug 4 with 4930 viewsLord_Lucan

I get quite a good deal thanks to Utility Whorehouse and our very own Osbourneonenil but I am always amazed at the cost of things.

I have just got my annual statement and over the year I have paid £863.43 on gas and £608.38 on Lectric

Is this excessive do you think? I must admit I do tend to leave lights on all the time.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Energy bills on 12:01 - Aug 4 with 4864 viewsMark

It's about double what we pay, but maybe you have a very large house or family?

Have you properly insulated your house, installed an efficient boiler, fitted LED lights throughout etc to keep use down?

Run a price check on uSwitch to compare suppliers.
Energy bills on 12:08 - Aug 4 with 4853 viewsSWGF

That does sound a lot. Last year's statement, I spent less than £600 on each and I've got a 5-bed house and two kids who know how to switch stuff on but not to switch it off, and I work from home so stuff is on every day, inc heating during the winter.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Energy bills on 12:19 - Aug 4 with 4821 viewsEJP

Funnily enough I got notification from the Co-Op yesterday to say they're upping my direct debit from £40 per month to £101 per month! 4 months after they lowered my DD to £40...
Energy bills on 12:22 - Aug 4 with 4814 viewsLord_Lucan

Energy bills on 12:01 - Aug 4 by Mark

It's about double what we pay, but maybe you have a very large house or family?

Have you properly insulated your house, installed an efficient boiler, fitted LED lights throughout etc to keep use down?

Run a price check on uSwitch to compare suppliers.

Half the house in insulated (the new bit). They offered to insulate the lot FOC but they said I had to clear the loft but I couldn't be arsed.

I have 100% LED bulbs and what I think is a decent boiler. I do have a fair size house to be fair. My bills have increased since RKD returned, I'll have to put his rent up.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Energy bills on 12:32 - Aug 4 with 4784 viewsMark

Energy bills on 12:22 - Aug 4 by Lord_Lucan

Half the house in insulated (the new bit). They offered to insulate the lot FOC but they said I had to clear the loft but I couldn't be arsed.

I have 100% LED bulbs and what I think is a decent boiler. I do have a fair size house to be fair. My bills have increased since RKD returned, I'll have to put his rent up.

You should have paid someone to clear the loft out for you, would soon pay for itself by reduced gas bills.
Energy bills on 12:56 - Aug 4 with 4738 viewswrightsrightglove

Utility Whorehouse sounds like a gas fitter's dream!
Energy bills on 12:59 - Aug 4 with 4727 viewschicoazul

Nearly £900 on gas??? What do you do, heat the kitchen using the gas hob?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Energy bills on 13:09 - Aug 4 with 4711 viewsLord_Lucan

Energy bills on 12:59 - Aug 4 by chicoazul

Nearly £900 on gas??? What do you do, heat the kitchen using the gas hob?

Is it high then? I really don't know, I haven't given it much thought.

Not sure why it's high - if it is. My heating though does have a mind of it's own and it's not uncommon for it to come on during a heatwave.

Login to get fewer ads

Energy bills on 13:11 - Aug 4 with 4707 viewsGlasgowBlue

"Green subsidies — levied on consumer bills — will treble by 2021-22, The Office for Budget Responsibility says. The controversial tax take will rise from £4.6 billion in 2015-16 to £13.5 billion in 2021-22. The cash will be spent on subsidising economically non-viable energy, such as solar and wind farms. Earlier this week Centrica, the parent company of British Gas, got into a public spat with the government, blaming green levies for putting an extra £149 a year on household bills. The firm said green taxes caused “significant pressures” on pricing and that there was no option but to pass costs on to customers. Centrica CEO Ian Conn said:

“It is transmission and distribution of electricity to the home and government policy costs that are driving our price increase.”"

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Energy bills on 13:18 - Aug 4 with 4699 viewsLord_Lucan

Energy bills on 13:11 - Aug 4 by GlasgowBlue

"Green subsidies — levied on consumer bills — will treble by 2021-22, The Office for Budget Responsibility says. The controversial tax take will rise from £4.6 billion in 2015-16 to £13.5 billion in 2021-22. The cash will be spent on subsidising economically non-viable energy, such as solar and wind farms. Earlier this week Centrica, the parent company of British Gas, got into a public spat with the government, blaming green levies for putting an extra £149 a year on household bills. The firm said green taxes caused “significant pressures” on pricing and that there was no option but to pass costs on to customers. Centrica CEO Ian Conn said:

“It is transmission and distribution of electricity to the home and government policy costs that are driving our price increase.”"

GB, you are like a rolling party political broadcast.

Do you talk about such things during pillow talk with your wife? Poor old mite must be on the edge.

Energy bills on 13:22 - Aug 4 with 4693 viewsGlasgowBlue

Energy bills on 13:18 - Aug 4 by Lord_Lucan

GB, you are like a rolling party political broadcast.

Do you talk about such things during pillow talk with your wife? Poor old mite must be on the edge.

How is that political? Green taxes put an extra £150+ on an average household energy bill. That's no more political than stating that fags are a ridiculous price because of the duty on them.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2017 13:26]

Iron Lion Zion

Energy bills on 13:26 - Aug 4 with 4679 viewsLord_Lucan

Energy bills on 13:22 - Aug 4 by GlasgowBlue

How is that political? Green taxes put an extra £150+ on an average household energy bill. That's no more political than stating that fags are a ridiculous price because of the duty on them.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2017 13:26]

I'm being bawdy Lynn.

Energy bills on 13:44 - Aug 4 with 4649 viewsgainsboroughblue

Energy bills on 13:26 - Aug 4 by Lord_Lucan

I'm being bawdy Lynn.

He might make that noise, be a bit weird.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Energy bills on 13:58 - Aug 4 with 4634 viewsGlasgowBlue

Energy bills on 13:26 - Aug 4 by Lord_Lucan

I'm being bawdy Lynn.

I don't know what that means?

Iron Lion Zion

Energy bills on 14:10 - Aug 4 with 4613 viewsLord_Lucan

Energy bills on 13:58 - Aug 4 by GlasgowBlue

I don't know what that means?

FFS GB, this is Partridge day.

Get with the program

Energy bills on 14:18 - Aug 4 with 4594 viewsGlasgowBlue

Energy bills on 14:10 - Aug 4 by Lord_Lucan

FFS GB, this is Partridge day.

Get with the program

Partridge passed me by. That was a period when I rarely had a night in and didn't have time to watch the telly.

Iron Lion Zion

Energy bills on 14:28 - Aug 4 with 4584 viewsstantheman

Just switched to Utility warehouse for my phone and broadband but their quote for leccy and gas was 15% higher than my current supplier, if that helps.
Energy bills on 15:15 - Aug 4 with 4543 viewsjeera

Fella, I just look at unit prices when I'm considering a switch. That's all I want to know - how much the stuff costs me per unit.

I don't want gift cards nor money back on my shopping or any other such gimmick.

And that's what puts me off some companies, the gimmicky nonsense.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Energy bills on 16:28 - Aug 4 with 4491 viewsClapham_Junction

Solar and wind not economically viable? Where does this bullsh1t come from?

The Committee on Climate Change estimated the actual increase to be around £105.

Also Lucan, you do seem to be spending rather a lot. My dual fuel bill for a 3-bed Victorian terrace (with only loft insulation) was around £660/yr. If your boiler is relatively new, you might want to consider investing in some better heating controls. They're not cheap, but the savings potential is pretty good.
Energy bills on 17:56 - Aug 4 with 4451 viewsblue_oyster

Indeed. The cost of belief that our actions are destroying the planet: bankrupt the current generation.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Energy bills on 18:00 - Aug 4 with 4445 viewsconnorscontract

Energy bills on 12:22 - Aug 4 by Lord_Lucan

I reckon RKD is Bitcoin mining off your leccy...
Energy bills on 18:29 - Aug 4 with 4425 viewsvapour_trail

I did over three grand in 16 months on energy. Like you I tend to be a bit slack turning off the lights etc. I also live in a big old Victorian thing that isn't exactly efficient.

Twtd opinions / advice by vapour_trail 13 Jul 2017 9:57
So, I moved into my house, set up the leccy and gas with Scottish power, who failed to take my dd payments for a year, leaving me with an energy debt of three and a half grand.

On the one hand, I was pretty annoyed, on the other I thought I should have kept a closer eye on it and I've used the energy so just cough up.

Anyway, raised a complaint with the ombudsman, who has ruled that I should have identified the issue after the first month, and awarded me 150 compo. They keep telling me they're an evidence based org, which is great in theory, but won't tell me the criteria for the award.

I can't be arsed spending any more energy (ho ho) on arguing it - it takes a minimum 15 mins to get through to SP on the phone, so am just going to pay it off, but wondered what people thought / have had similar experiences.

And do you keep an eye on your dds? I have always been admitttedly very lazy and just let them look after themselves. I sort of thought that was the point.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024