Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) 16:33 - Jul 23 with 2804 viewsWarkystache

Dickensian Rochester on a Saturday morning. Walking the high street would have felt like stepping back 150 years had it not been for the cagoule-wearing tourists. And the traffic.

I fancied a trip to Kent. I've just returned from a short, wettish break in Richmond in Yorkshire, where a few trips to Harrogate and York nearly wiped out my bank account (tea in Betty's may be an experience but it's also bloody expensive). Saw that we were playing at Gillingham and fancied a drive out, nothing too taxing or miles away. See how we're coming on, that sort of thing.

I was meeting an old mate who is a Chelsea-cum-Gillingham fan from Chatham. He's originally from Croydon and we met at University 25 years ago. Wayne is now domiciled in Chatham, with a wife, a child, a mortgage and a semi on the sort of street that immediately makes you think commuter-belt. He works in London for an equity firm (whatever that is). His first love is Chelsea but he can't afford a season ticket there so he started watching the Gills. His twelve year old son is a committed Gill, so the two kindly offered me a seat with them in the sparse main stand. At least I stayed dry at half time, even if I couldn't cheer Rowe's goal or our numerous efforts.

I picked Wayne and his son, Charlie, up in Chatham after a disappointingly mediocre steak and chips in Rochester. Both were wearing their new Gills home shirts with pride. "You'll do us today" said Charlie, a note of bitterness creeping into his voice "We're going down this season". "Nah" said his dad, "we'll be OK". Both thought Ipswich would be top ten. "You've signed a few good'uns" said Wayne. I thought he might be taking the piss, but he qualified this with "that Garner was brilliant for Preston and I like Adeyemi". Both bemoaned Gillingham's tight ownership which meant they were relying on frees and loans for the new campaign. "Join the club" I winked at them. "We did" replied Charlie, irony-free.

The stand was sparse and the few Gills fans around us mostly moaned about upcoming summer holiday costs and the wisdom of playing "a little Championship club when we should be 'avving Chelsea or Palace darn 'ere". "Or Brighton" said a little lad sat behind us, after a pause. The fact I was sat with two Gills fans clearly made everyone think I too was a Priestfield man as one of the blokes behind us asked me what I thought Pennock's problem was playing it long and if I didn't think Lee Martin was 'sh*t'? I heartily agreed with the second question. He was. Dreadful waste of money by Keano.

The first half was mostly us, but Garner forgot his shooting boots (worryingly, although he'll have worse games and score) and Celina looked sharp and quick. He's another Ryan Fraser type and will do well here, methinks. The big worry was Chambers at the back. He looked dodgy and I hope Webster starts against Brum. I liked the little kid in midfield (sorry, forgot his name). The result was a travesty as Gills scored a worldy second and we created more coming forward than we did in three or four games last season.

Overall a disappointing result, but not a bad performance and we've added a bit of pace in Celina, who I think will be a good addition. Shame no Huws or Adeyemi, but I think we'll be better than we were last season. Wayne said "that's a confidence-boosting win for us, but we didn't deserve it" and Charlie agreed. Nice afternoon out, didn't cost me too much, but Gillingham is a bit of a hole.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 19:38 - Jul 23 with 2556 viewsbrogansnose

Thank goodness the silly season is almost over and we've got your reports back. I don't want to come accross as unappreciative but no mention of Terry. It's been weeks now, I'm concerned.

Sort it out Warky, there's lot of love on here for Tel.

On a side note, how the hell has Martin been stealing a living playing football. Life's weird.
The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 19:59 - Jul 23 with 2517 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 19:38 - Jul 23 by brogansnose

Thank goodness the silly season is almost over and we've got your reports back. I don't want to come accross as unappreciative but no mention of Terry. It's been weeks now, I'm concerned.

On a side note, how the hell has Martin been stealing a living playing football. Life's weird.

I am voting for Tel as my TWTD hero of the year

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 20:06 - Jul 23 with 2502 viewsWarkystache

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 19:38 - Jul 23 by brogansnose

Hi Brogs - Tel's fine. Mrs Tel and he are going away to Malaga in a few weeks' time and they're thinking of buying a new bed. Her dad's now poorly and living with his brother-in-law in Stisted temporarily.

We won £78 on a combination horse and cricket bet the other day. He's very pleased with himself that he had the foresight to suggest a non-footy bet. Even if it was pin-sticking.

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 20:12 - Jul 23 with 2483 viewsWarkystache

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 20:06 - Jul 23 by Warkystache

Hi Brogs - Tel's fine. Mrs Tel and he are going away to Malaga in a few weeks' time and they're thinking of buying a new bed. Her dad's now poorly and living with his brother-in-law in Stisted temporarily.

We won £78 on a combination horse and cricket bet the other day. He's very pleased with himself that he had the foresight to suggest a non-footy bet. Even if it was pin-sticking.

Oh and I actually thought Lee Martin was alright for Gillingham. He's found his level. It's lower League 1/League 2.

More Gills fans moaned at him than any other player. "It's like being on the social and treating yourself to a Lidl Lobster for two quid out of the best before bin" one bloke amusingly said

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 20:15 - Jul 23 with 2476 viewsMJallday

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 20:06 - Jul 23 by Warkystache

Tel must be the best person on TWTD never to have posted.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 20:38 - Jul 23 with 2415 viewsMedwayTractor

I live near Maidstone, so not too far to travel, but couldn't go as I've not been well for a couple of weeks, seems I didn't miss much.

By the way, you are too kind saying that Gillingham is a bit of a hole. Apart from the Isle of Sheppey, if God wanted to give Kent an enema, he'd shove the hose into Gillingham (as the saying goes).

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

The Warky Report: Gillingham (friendly, away) on 23:58 - Jul 23 with 2248 viewsvapour_trail

Good stuff Warky, and glad to hear Tel is well. Tel's well.

I can't comment on most of the post as I wasn't there, bar your closing observation. Gillingham really is a proper sh1thole. The Priestfield is the cultural highlight.

Looking forward to the return of the report next season.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024