Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... 15:06 - Jul 7 with 3370 viewsbluewein

Maybe someone who is in HR?

So, I started a job 6 weeks ago with a new firm. I'd given my old company 4 weeks notice at the beginning of May as they request all leavers do. My pay day with this firm was on the 18th of every month (strange date I know) The pay role cut off for all clocking in cards and overtime was always the 7th.

I was under the impression that as I was finishing on the 26th of May, from the cut off point I'd be owed another 3 weeks wages. Apparently though I'd already had my final wage as they gave me my P45. Knowing what I was averaging every month, I get the feeling I would have noticed a missing 3 weeks in my last pay slip.

Am I actually due those 3 weeks or am I just sh1t out of luck? The thing is they've done this to someone who used to work at the company before and ended up being taken to tribunal. (They lost. Heavily) So they do have a history of this.

(As it's Friday, I'll expect nothing but "flipping burger jokes/I've mugged off some idiot who used to work here threads" and sensible answers whatsoever.)

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:08 - Jul 7 with 3353 viewsbluelagos

Can you speak to the guy who took them to the tribunal? He'd probably have a better understanding of the issues / timings etc.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:09 - Jul 7 with 3340 viewsbluewein

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:08 - Jul 7 by bluelagos

Can you speak to the guy who took them to the tribunal? He'd probably have a better understanding of the issues / timings etc.

Unfortunately, he had been and gone long before I started with them. Otherwise, he would have been my first point of contact.

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:12 - Jul 7 with 3330 viewstcblue

Unless there's something crazy in your contract of employment they've not got a leg to stand on as you worked those three weeks!

(Not an employment lawyer)
A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:26 - Jul 7 with 3279 viewsColin_Viljoen

Did you get any holiday pay??
A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:31 - Jul 7 with 3267 viewsbluewein

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:26 - Jul 7 by Colin_Viljoen

Did you get any holiday pay??

Apparently I wasn't entitled to any as I'd conveniently used the amount that I'd been entitled to up to that point. (Holiday ran from January to December.)

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:32 - Jul 7 with 3256 viewsEJP

Had you used up most of your holiday allocation?
A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:39 - Jul 7 with 3230 viewsbluewein

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:32 - Jul 7 by EJP

Had you used up most of your holiday allocation?

See above. Was entitled to 10.5 days which I'd already taken. (Amazing how I managed to use the exact amount..)

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:51 - Jul 7 with 3208 viewsbluelagos

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:09 - Jul 7 by bluewein

Unfortunately, he had been and gone long before I started with them. Otherwise, he would have been my first point of contact.

Then I'd suggest a visit to your local Citizens advice bureau. Take a copy of your contract of employment and recent payslios, plus p45.

T.hey should be able to advise if you have been short changed, and what to do about it if that is the case.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:54 - Jul 7 with 3206 viewsSmithersJones

Difficult to say 100% without knowing exactly how your former company works, but based on normal practice I would say:
(a) You are entitled to your basic pay up to and including 26 May. Normally you would be paid this in your May salary although there's just a chance they might choose to delay the last week in case you did a runner. However they would have to tell you this specifically (and have it in your contract that they can do this).
(b) Overtime is more complex, not whether you get it but when. If payroll cut off is 7 May then they can't pay you in May for any OT worked after that date. However if you did work any then you're still owed it, but you might have to wait until June.
If they've given you a P45 then they appear to be under the impression they've paid you everything you're owed.
At the end of the day the only defence they would have in a tribunal is to prove that they had already paid you the money. The fact you're leaving has no consequence about whether you're owed money for work done (bonus/commission might be different but it doesn't look like this is an issue).
A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 16:27 - Jul 7 with 3179 viewsWeWereZombies

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 15:51 - Jul 7 by bluelagos

Then I'd suggest a visit to your local Citizens advice bureau. Take a copy of your contract of employment and recent payslios, plus p45.

T.hey should be able to advise if you have been short changed, and what to do about it if that is the case.

All of this (and the following post) plus, if you go to the CAB and you still have them, take the first couple of payslips from the employment as well so that they can check if you were paid anything in advance on commencing the job that the company will say was deducted from the final pay.

If you have a record of the days you took as holiday that would be useful too, it sounds as if they might be trying it on to save themselves some money - or perhaps they just have a lazy payroll clerk.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 17:01 - Jul 7 with 3138 viewsMJallday

were you on a salary? i guess it depends if you were forward paid.

for example, i get paid on the 20th, but its a full months wage and that applies to the last working day of that month

same might apply to you?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 18:48 - Jul 7 with 3044 viewsbluebud

If you're sure you haven't been paid it yet....then they have to pay you.

If it's salary paid, it's an unlawful deduction.

if it's paid hourly then they're paying less than the minimum wage (same as above also).

..You can take them to tribunal for these issues regardless of length of service.

Write them a letter stating the above, recorded of course and they'll realise you're not going quietly and that you know the score.......they'll pay pretty quickly...if they try and make you wait until next pay day....kick off and threaten to progress it.
A question re. pay for the knowledgeable beacon that is TWTD... on 22:00 - Jul 7 with 2984 viewsbluewein

Cheers all. Some valuable advice taken on board.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024