Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" 13:41 - May 1 with 1526 viewsArcher4721

Well done JC. About time this horror was addressed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-rented-homes-housing-bad-la

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-pledges-new-crackdown-rogue-1033257
[Post edited 1 May 2017 13:49]
“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 13:55 - May 1 with 1483 viewsNo9

It was addressed in the 1965 Reents Act, which was nicknamed the Rachman Act after the way in which Peter rachman became very wealthy by making his tennants live in squalor.
I beleive the tories repealed that Act which of course is not surprising but leads to the problems we have today.
“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 13:55 - May 1 with 1487 viewsRyorry

I believe there are already many laws/regulations in place which should deal with this kind of horror, but which are simply not enforced?

Meanwhile, from the "good landlords" point of view, there are also some horror tenants who don't pay their rent or utilities bills, who trash their rented homes and are abusive to the landlords, and who can take an incredibly long time to evict through legal channels. There's also some conflict within the law - e.g. on the one hand landlords are required to ensure no illegal drugs are being made on their premises, but on the other, tenants are entitled to change the locks on the premises without giving their landlords a key. (Unless that's been updated in the past year).

Poll: Time of the annunciation

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:10 - May 1 with 1444 viewsNo9

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 13:55 - May 1 by Ryorry

I believe there are already many laws/regulations in place which should deal with this kind of horror, but which are simply not enforced?

Meanwhile, from the "good landlords" point of view, there are also some horror tenants who don't pay their rent or utilities bills, who trash their rented homes and are abusive to the landlords, and who can take an incredibly long time to evict through legal channels. There's also some conflict within the law - e.g. on the one hand landlords are required to ensure no illegal drugs are being made on their premises, but on the other, tenants are entitled to change the locks on the premises without giving their landlords a key. (Unless that's been updated in the past year).

Can't you have a two way rental agreement which is signed and legally binding?

I believe a lot of the problems are created by poor quality letting agents - that was my experience anyway
“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:12 - May 1 with 1440 viewsmeekreech

Quite right too ! You are going to own the fridge but you are only borrowing the home so must be expected to return it to the owner when requested ! Also a must to treat the home with respect as it belongs to someone else but this is often , in my experience , not adhered to which can cause a lot of problems !

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:35 - May 1 with 1378 viewsRyorry

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:10 - May 1 by No9

Can't you have a two way rental agreement which is signed and legally binding?

I believe a lot of the problems are created by poor quality letting agents - that was my experience anyway

Of course you can - and must actually, I certainly wouldn't let without one (AST Agreement on a rolling 6-monthly renewal with current tenant who's now been in for 20 months) - but sadly, this does not mean all tenants comply with it! Nor does it make it an easy or quick thing to get bad tenants out if they're determined to stay or be awkward.

I ditched the only letting agent I've ever tried - totally incompetent, didn't inform people it's a no-smoking let, 1-man business, wasn't in office most of the time, no voicemail or mobile option - so how many potential tenants were interested, tried ringing but gave up is anyone's guess. In the end, a local friend who was splitting up with her partner contacted me, and he took it.

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:44 - May 1 with 1355 viewsNo9

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:35 - May 1 by Ryorry

Of course you can - and must actually, I certainly wouldn't let without one (AST Agreement on a rolling 6-monthly renewal with current tenant who's now been in for 20 months) - but sadly, this does not mean all tenants comply with it! Nor does it make it an easy or quick thing to get bad tenants out if they're determined to stay or be awkward.

I ditched the only letting agent I've ever tried - totally incompetent, didn't inform people it's a no-smoking let, 1-man business, wasn't in office most of the time, no voicemail or mobile option - so how many potential tenants were interested, tried ringing but gave up is anyone's guess. In the end, a local friend who was splitting up with her partner contacted me, and he took it.

As I said I believe much of the problem is with the letting agent but that isn't any ecuse for lax laws
“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:03 - May 1 with 1311 viewsPendejo

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:12 - May 1 by meekreech

Quite right too ! You are going to own the fridge but you are only borrowing the home so must be expected to return it to the owner when requested ! Also a must to treat the home with respect as it belongs to someone else but this is often , in my experience , not adhered to which can cause a lot of problems !

80/20 Rule applies to both tenants and landlords.

80% will be good
20% will be utter sh*ts

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:05 - May 1 with 1306 viewsWD19

Are you seriously telling me that it is legal to rent out a house currently that does not have safe wiring!? Seems unlikely to me.
Login to get fewer ads

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:06 - May 1 with 1293 viewsRyorry

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 14:44 - May 1 by No9

As I said I believe much of the problem is with the letting agent but that isn't any ecuse for lax laws

Sure.

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:10 - May 1 with 1283 viewsRyorry

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:05 - May 1 by WD19

Are you seriously telling me that it is legal to rent out a house currently that does not have safe wiring!? Seems unlikely to me.

It's not. There are (quite rightly) many more h&s regulations now too, including requirements for carbon monoxide detectors, smoke alarms etc.

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:13 - May 1 with 1269 viewsWD19

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:10 - May 1 by Ryorry

It's not. There are (quite rightly) many more h&s regulations now too, including requirements for carbon monoxide detectors, smoke alarms etc.

Thought so. Had all the hallmarks of the usual vacuous sound bytes from our illustrious political leaders.

Can someone please wake me up when the GE is over.
“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:20 - May 1 with 1240 viewsDolly2.0

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:13 - May 1 by WD19

Thought so. Had all the hallmarks of the usual vacuous sound bytes from our illustrious political leaders.

There are lots of rental properties that are unfit to live in, regardless of what the law says.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge on 15:25 - May 1 with 1229 viewsRyorry

“You have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge" on 15:13 - May 1 by WD19

Can't remember whether it's actually on the statute book yet, but I know there's been a recent move towards requiring an electrical safety cert for all rented properties with (iirc) 5-yearly checks required. I have a cert for mine anyway, but will look it up.

If other landlords are interested, I've found being a member of the RLA very useful - all the forms available to download, regular seminars, webinars, updating on law, advice etc etc for less than £100 annually https://www.rla.org.uk/

Update: https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/responsibilities/electrical_safety.shtml?

Not yet a specific requirement for single tenancies apparently (except as normal part of building regs and general duty of safety), only HMOs, but you'd be pretty stupid not to have an electrical safety cert for any property imho.
[Post edited 1 May 2017 16:00]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024