Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 19:15 - May 13 with 1677 viewsKeno

cant find a town in 5 so here are the highlights

Any who was there care to add any memories?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:31 - May 13 with 1605 viewsbrogansnose

It absolutely hammered it down with rain before , during and after the game and we were on the open scaffold / terrace thing.

The football was delightful .
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:38 - May 13 with 1554 viewsandytown

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:31 - May 13 by brogansnose

It absolutely hammered it down with rain before , during and after the game and we were on the open scaffold / terrace thing.

Someone had broken down on the approach to the Dartford tunnel on the way home, queued for ages but didn’t care after watching that!
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:41 - May 13 with 1514 viewsDarkBrandon

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:31 - May 13 by brogansnose

I watched it on the iPad, so can’t add any on-the-ground insight, but someone on here suggested it looked like we had league one players who had been given Premier League coaching.

That stuck with me, and it is a comment that has aged phenomenally well.
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:55 - May 13 with 1448 viewsPendejo

Was due to travel with Coastal Blue, he was unwell, got lots of funny looks as my waterproof jacket is a dull yellow (wife bought it for me).

We got soaked but Gills got rinsed.

A taste of the greatness to come.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:55 - May 13 with 1447 viewssmithy69

There was a 15/20 minute period where we were sublime
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:56 - May 13 with 1446 viewsbrogansnose

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 19:41 - May 13 by DarkBrandon

I watched it on the iPad, so can’t add any on-the-ground insight, but someone on here suggested it looked like we had league one players who had been given Premier League coaching.

That stuck with me, and it is a comment that has aged phenomenally well.

There as an improvement under Cook from Lambert ball but we seemed to go interstellar in that game and it stayed that way.
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:18 - May 13 with 1394 viewsbazza

You going to do a game per day? .. this is great .!! I Was trawling through photos of when I first took my eldest .. 2018 season Brentford home .. poor boy. So I’d say even he deserved the back to back promotions.
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:36 - May 13 with 1320 viewsMeadowlark

Chucked it down.
Ended up driving through the Blackwall Tunnel coming home.
Sone Aluko controlled the match.
Login to get fewer ads

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:42 - May 13 with 1284 viewsKeno

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:18 - May 13 by bazza

You going to do a game per day? .. this is great .!! I Was trawling through photos of when I first took my eldest .. 2018 season Brentford home .. poor boy. So I’d say even he deserved the back to back promotions.

I might do, hadn’t really thought.

What do you think?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:48 - May 13 with 1249 viewsSteve_M

Rain, rain and more rain.

We were good though, first match after McK had some decent time on the teasing ground and Gillingham had no idea how to stop us. Aluko untouchable that day but a shout out for Norwood whose goals at that time got McK off to a good start.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:51 - May 13 with 1235 viewsDeliasMashedPotato

I think shaking hands with steve evans was the motivation kieran needed to get us out of that league!
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:52 - May 13 with 1229 viewsbazza

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:42 - May 13 by Keno

I might do, hadn’t really thought.

What do you think?

Definitely do it, it’s nice to read peoples memories from the games too.
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:52 - May 13 with 1225 viewsbazza

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:48 - May 13 by Steve_M

Rain, rain and more rain.

We were good though, first match after McK had some decent time on the teasing ground and Gillingham had no idea how to stop us. Aluko untouchable that day but a shout out for Norwood whose goals at that time got McK off to a good start.

Cracker from burns as well.
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 21:03 - May 13 with 1137 viewsolimar

The Aluko pass into Matt Penney for the third goal was absolutely brilliant. He was a class above that day. Also, remember Edmundson strolling out of defence in the 2nd half at will, had one long range effort well saved and looked like a Championship player cruising through the game.
It was forgotten for quite a while how good he was in those first few months under McKenna, until he got that run of games when Burgess was away this year and recovered his reputation in the eyes of many.
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 21:04 - May 13 with 1128 viewsSteve_M

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 20:52 - May 13 by bazza

Cracker from burns as well.

I forgot how good the first goal was, the great thing is that we’ve evolved to do that against better sides now.

Also Penney with the proto-Davis run and assist for the third. Patterns of play starting very early.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 21:48 - May 13 with 1006 viewsbazza

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 21:04 - May 13 by Steve_M

I forgot how good the first goal was, the great thing is that we’ve evolved to do that against better sides now.

Also Penney with the proto-Davis run and assist for the third. Patterns of play starting very early.

Yea, amazing how you can see the early signs from that game. Shame about bonne , would have been nice had it worked out for him here.
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 08:01 - May 14 with 744 viewsBlue_In_Kent

It's my local club and Gills gave something like 200 tickets to the youth football club I coached at so I took half of my u15's down to watch it, including 2 Romanian lads (who were fabulous little players!) who had never been to a football game and kept asking me to arrange to go to one. They came away loving Ipswich and I remember one of them saying to me that he thought Morsy should be playing for England. I told him he was Egyptian and he probably knew Mo Salah which blew his mind!

Most Gills fans I sat with that day knew I was a Tractor boy and ended up celebrating with me as they'd already given up with Gills that season and just enjoyed the football we were playing in the end. Other than the guy I spent 10 minutes queuing for a burger behind who thought that we were there to be got at if Gills could just move the ball forward faster, which seemed a little odd as they spent the whole game using the same tactics of the centre back hitting a long diagonal ball to Oliver and being shocked when Fridge came away with the ball every time 😂.

I remember coming away thinking this felt like a different victory to anything I'd seen for a good few years and my son made a bet with the rest of his team that Ipswich would be in the Premier by 2026 after the game and he was roundly mocked by most of them. His phone nearly exploded 2 Saturdays ago!
McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 08:17 - May 14 with 698 viewsHerbivore

I wasn't there but remember watching on iFollow and being completely blown away by how we played. We'd gone from a disjointed rabble to a cohesive footballing side who could carve the opposition open at will. Yes, it was only Gillingham, but to see the playing principles McKenna had instilled in such a short space of time was very exciting.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

McKenna first away game - Gillingham 8/1/22 on 12:40 - May 14 with 544 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Thinking back to that first half season for McKenna, we had lots of clean sheets and too many draws but I'm wondering if we didn't concede that last minute goal v Oxford and somehow got ourselves up into the play offs and won them, would we now be a Premier League side?

I doubt it. That season extra in L1 of building patterns of play under McKenna probably helped.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024