Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday in the away end 09:54 - May 7 with 1383 viewsyorkshireblue

As I’ve seen a few other town fans talking about it on social media – I was in the away end on Saturday. Missed out on when the two plus tickets went on sale, and had a friend messaged me wanted if I wanted a ticket as soon as Huddersfield put out that tweet. Apparently they’d sold 800 tickets up the Tuesday night, but then doubled that the following day after the Coventry game. I paid face value, but I think I was in the minority speaking to people. Some even has tickets – or claimed to at least – from Huddersfield players.

I doubt all the extra sales were all Ipswich fans, but there were several hundred in there – some making it more obvious than others. There were at least two I saw wearing Ipswich shirts which I thought was brave as could easily see the police turning them away. I don’t usually pay attention to how the queue at the away ticket office to collect tickets – but it was long! – again a sign there were plenty of Ipswich fans in there. I was prepared to be asked for ID and turned away – my initial thought the queue was so long for that reason – but the person behind the counter handing out tickets couldn’t have cared less.

A few cheered when we went 1-0 up – but that was covered by Huddersfield straight away chanting we all hate Leeds scum. Although there were the odd Huddersfield fan getting angry at people cheering their own team losing – but at no point did I feel threatened. I saw a Dad and lad there at the queue to the bar carrying bags from the town shop and the Dad said to his son “Just don’t speak to anyone and we’ll be fine”.

The main thing that stood out was the atmosphere. I was fairly central, towards the back and one thing that jumped out was how quiet the Ipswich fans sounded. I know it’s ridiculous, I know the atmosphere was amazing – I could see everyone bouncing around but honestly could hardly hear it. I’ve had a fair few mates go to Portman Road over the years in the away end following their teams telling me how quiet we are even when I’ve been there and thought it was decent and put it down to saltiness – but honestly it was weird. I’m guessing due to the low roof above the away fans.

Also, there was absolutely no policing of fans bringing bottles of beer to the seats. Not sure if that is regular or they just didn’t care as it was the last day of the season, or stewards were dispatched elsewhere for the day but loads of people were drinking their beers in the stand (which they obviously complained about the price of!). I didn’t partake as I didn’t want to draw attention to myself.

Sadly – but understandably so I’d prepared myself for it – there was no chance I could get on the pitch. I know some fans in Block A jumped down the roof – but after Maidstone there is a Perspex screen in front of the away fans. The door to the lower section had police who outrightly said they would arrest anyone who went through it. I possibly could have gone over the barrier in the upper tier, into the home fans and then tried to get down. A Town fan was crying at the door to the lower tier – one of the people in an Ipswich shirt – saying the police had ruined his life but not letting him through.

The important thing is that I can say I was there. They were a great set of fans, very complimentary to us as a football club and a town. Very good atmosphere considering the position they were in – I hope they do well and bounce straight back up.
Saturday in the away end on 10:18 - May 7 with 1177 viewsHTown

Thanks, I was in the away end - didn't see too many Ipswich fans, thought we brought good numbers regardless and the majority of us seemed to enjoy the party atmosphere and celebrating with you guys before and after. It was great that everyone could party together and there was no nastiness at all unlike them Notts Forest knobheads at Wembley.

I know a few on our forums and on social media have now taken Ipswich as their Premiership team to follow, there genuinely seems to be a bit of a love in between the 2 sets of fans. It's unfortunate that when we was in the Prem, you guys we're in League 1 and now the rolls have reversed.

Hopefully under our ambitious owner we nail a good manager down and give him the funds he needs to get out of League 1 first time around, then build from there like you guys did.

All the best for next season, enjoy it!

Up The Town x 2.
Saturday in the away end on 10:48 - May 7 with 954 viewsWickwar_Blue

I witnessed one chap stand up, with c2 mins to go, remove his jumper to reveal his Town shirt. He stood with arms aloft resembling Christ The Redeemer in Rio, before Huddersfield fans bundled him out.
[Post edited 7 May 10:53]
Saturday in the away end on 13:13 - May 7 with 541 viewsPlums

Saturday in the away end on 10:18 - May 7 by HTown

Thanks, I was in the away end - didn't see too many Ipswich fans, thought we brought good numbers regardless and the majority of us seemed to enjoy the party atmosphere and celebrating with you guys before and after. It was great that everyone could party together and there was no nastiness at all unlike them Notts Forest knobheads at Wembley.

I know a few on our forums and on social media have now taken Ipswich as their Premiership team to follow, there genuinely seems to be a bit of a love in between the 2 sets of fans. It's unfortunate that when we was in the Prem, you guys we're in League 1 and now the rolls have reversed.

Hopefully under our ambitious owner we nail a good manager down and give him the funds he needs to get out of League 1 first time around, then build from there like you guys did.

All the best for next season, enjoy it!

Up The Town x 2.

I can honestly say the Huddersfield fan in his shirt amongst the eight Ipswich fans in my kitchen on Saturday was very well behaved and wished us all the best. Pleased it was the same at the game.
All the best for next season and if you do manage to come up with a decent manager/ DoF, please make sure they have a 'no exit to Norwich' clause in their contract this time - make them do their own thinking!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024