Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd 21:06 - Apr 28 with 1049 viewsBrentwoodBlagger2

Bit of a deja vu feeling now as I recall Bradford City were 2nd in First Division and we were in 3rd place. Bradford had to drop points at Wolves and we had to win against Sheffield Utd for automatic promotion to the Prem and we won the game 4.1. Bradford City were winning 3.2 and Wolves hit the post in the last few minutes, but the word went around our ground that Wolves had scored and we were up sparking mad celebration, but sadly that was not the case. We then lost the play off semi final against Bolton on away goals FFS after losing 1.0 at Bolton and then beating them 4.3 at PR under George Burley's management. 4 points over next 2 games will be enough to avoid play off nightmare and get back into the Prem once again. COYFB.
1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:30 - Apr 28 with 943 viewsgainsboroughblue

It was in our hands those last three games. We were three points ahead of Bradford, same amount of games.

We then lost at home to Crewe (yes Crewe) who we helped save from relegation and then away at Birmingham before that Sheff U game. Veno missed a penalty.

Bradford played at Wolves last game who were going for a play-off place so we were hopeful they would come unstuck. Alas, not. Bloody Paul Jewell.

Who remembers a year later? Blackburn hit the woodwork three times in the first half against Man City. The woodwork has been a bastad to us for decades.
[Post edited 28 Apr 21:31]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:36 - Apr 28 with 893 viewstextbackup

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:30 - Apr 28 by gainsboroughblue

It was in our hands those last three games. We were three points ahead of Bradford, same amount of games.

We then lost at home to Crewe (yes Crewe) who we helped save from relegation and then away at Birmingham before that Sheff U game. Veno missed a penalty.

Bradford played at Wolves last game who were going for a play-off place so we were hopeful they would come unstuck. Alas, not. Bloody Paul Jewell.

Who remembers a year later? Blackburn hit the woodwork three times in the first half against Man City. The woodwork has been a bastad to us for decades.

Remember them all like it was yesterday!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:48 - Apr 28 with 862 viewsgainsboroughblue

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:36 - Apr 28 by textbackup

Remember them all like it was yesterday!

I can remember being in the Pioneer that day for some reason. We had a fairly routine win over Walsall. Most people in Portman lower had their heads turned the other way watching the City game which was on the TV's in the executive boxes.

The biggest sod of a last day for me was at Goldstone, Brighton 1989. Someone shouted out that Swindon were losing to Stoke, which would've put us in 5th place as it stood (play-offs was 3rd bottom of the first div and 3,4,5 of div 2 then). Turned out he was either p1ssed or on a wind up and pre-internet days, most of us took it at face value.

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:58 - Apr 28 with 835 viewsIllinoisblue

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:30 - Apr 28 by gainsboroughblue

That Crewe game was a killer. They had a good midfield tbf, Danny Murphy, Seth Johnson and some lad called Jermaine Wright.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 22:05 - Apr 28 with 814 viewsgainsboroughblue

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:58 - Apr 28 by Illinoisblue

That Crewe game was a killer. They had a good midfield tbf, Danny Murphy, Seth Johnson and some lad called Jermaine Wright.

David Wright as well!

Pretty sure we were linked with Mark Rivers as well before he ended up going to Nodge.

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 22:40 - Apr 28 with 733 viewsRonFearonsHair

I can still see Mark Venus looking at the Pioneer stand with his arms outstretched trying to work out why the cheers for the Wolves ‘goal’ had died down while the match he was playing in carried on around him.
1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 22:41 - Apr 28 with 725 viewsiamatractorboy

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 21:58 - Apr 28 by Illinoisblue

I was at both the Sheff Utd and Walsall last game of the season matches, talk about deja vu with the hope turning to despair, but the thing I remember most vividly is this weird vacuum cleaner thing they were using on the Portman Road pitch during half time of that Crewe game, because there was an absolute deluge and the pitch was in danger of being completely waterlogged. I wish they hadn't bothered and it had been replayed!
1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 22:56 - Apr 28 with 662 viewsPlums

Am I correct that it was Paul Jewell's Bradford City and possibly even Steve Sedgley who hit the post for Wolves?
That was a very strange day as our game was won by half time.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 05:34 - Apr 29 with 514 viewsChurchman

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 22:41 - Apr 28 by iamatractorboy

I was at both the Sheff Utd and Walsall last game of the season matches, talk about deja vu with the hope turning to despair, but the thing I remember most vividly is this weird vacuum cleaner thing they were using on the Portman Road pitch during half time of that Crewe game, because there was an absolute deluge and the pitch was in danger of being completely waterlogged. I wish they hadn't bothered and it had been replayed!

I was at the games. It was pre mobile phones with internet, so it was people with radios and rumours. Hopes dashed.

The killer one though was Crewe. The pitch really was sodden and we just never got a grip of the game. So disappointing

Noticeably we played Bury first match that season and the crowd was 13,267. By March it was up to the 15/16k level and selling out by season’s end. How times change.
1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 09:33 - Apr 29 with 301 viewsgainsboroughblue

1998/99 - Last game of season v Sheffield Utd on 05:34 - Apr 29 by Churchman

I was at the games. It was pre mobile phones with internet, so it was people with radios and rumours. Hopes dashed.

The killer one though was Crewe. The pitch really was sodden and we just never got a grip of the game. So disappointing

Noticeably we played Bury first match that season and the crowd was 13,267. By March it was up to the 15/16k level and selling out by season’s end. How times change.

Oh my word. That Bury match. Not sure I've seen a worse game at PR.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024