Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Police and Crime Commissioner 17:14 - Apr 20 with 1064 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Just read Suffolk's candidate statements and was interested by the Lib Dem statement. Presumably this is a general policy for them as a party.

"I'm running on a platform to abolish the office of the police and crime commissioner in Suffolk.

"The office has cost the taxpayer around £4.5m in the last five years; if elected I will refuse to take up the position, and will not claim any salary or expenses."

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Police and Crime Commissioner on 10:45 - Apr 21 with 852 viewsDJR

I think I'd vote for them, as PCCs have been a complete waste of space.
Police and Crime Commissioner on 16:23 - Apr 21 with 746 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Police and Crime Commissioner on 10:45 - Apr 21 by DJR

I think I'd vote for them, as PCCs have been a complete waste of space.

Waste of space and taxpayer money. None of them is suggesting anything that would make a real difference to the impact and effectiveness of policing as far as I can see.

I would imagine a good proportion of those on this forum has the entitlement to cast their vote for this candidate too.

(EDITED for grammar.)
[Post edited 21 Apr 16:23]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Police and Crime Commissioner on 09:16 - Apr 25 with 584 viewsDJR

I've just realised in the area where I live that the only election is for the Police and Crime Commissioner.

Given this, I imagine the turnout will be even lower than in most local elections.
Police and Crime Commissioner on 13:07 - Apr 25 with 499 viewsstonojnr

Which sounds great, though i will point out the PCCs were a Lib Dem election commitment in 2010, but what are you going to replace it with ?

Go back to the old setup where the home office, that's not accountable locally sets priorities and budgets for the whole country ?

The old unelected, unaccountable police authorities who never held meetings in public and who appointed people they knew (from the lodge),and still claimed expenses and still spent money to administer themselves.

I might be frustrated that political parties turned the PCC role into another party based election, rather than simply electing independent non politically aligned individuals as it was envisaged.

But the premise of electing someone who can then be held to account locally for the local police budgets, what they spend it on, what their priorities are, that hold all their meetings in public and publish their strategies and decisions, that you can input too, is absolutely the right system to have.
Police and Crime Commissioner on 13:33 - Apr 25 with 470 viewsHotShotHamish

It isn't a general policy for the Lib-Dems nationally, especially in the areas where they are the incumbent!
Police and Crime Commissioner on 13:53 - Apr 25 with 430 viewsDJR

Police and Crime Commissioner on 13:07 - Apr 25 by stonojnr

Which sounds great, though i will point out the PCCs were a Lib Dem election commitment in 2010, but what are you going to replace it with ?

Go back to the old setup where the home office, that's not accountable locally sets priorities and budgets for the whole country ?

The old unelected, unaccountable police authorities who never held meetings in public and who appointed people they knew (from the lodge),and still claimed expenses and still spent money to administer themselves.

I might be frustrated that political parties turned the PCC role into another party based election, rather than simply electing independent non politically aligned individuals as it was envisaged.

But the premise of electing someone who can then be held to account locally for the local police budgets, what they spend it on, what their priorities are, that hold all their meetings in public and publish their strategies and decisions, that you can input too, is absolutely the right system to have.

My understanding is the Lib Dem proposals were to reform police authorities, and a BBC news article says the elected police and crime commissioners were a vital part of the 2010 Tory manifesto.

The article goes on to say that the Tories talked about attracting a whole host of independent candidates rather than the usual suspects, but they then decided each candidate would have to come up with a £5,000 deposit.

The government also decided against offering a free mailshot to each candidate.

PCC are in place largely in non-metropolitan counties and the vast majority are Tory.

Where I live the PCC is anonymous except at election times where either he is supporting Tory candidates or they are supporting him. I suppose I could go digging to find out what he actually does, but it seems to me the whole system is really a complete farce.
[Post edited 25 Apr 13:54]
Police and Crime Commissioner on 15:08 - Apr 25 with 313 viewsronnyd

Police and Crime Commissioner on 09:16 - Apr 25 by DJR

I've just realised in the area where I live that the only election is for the Police and Crime Commissioner.

Given this, I imagine the turnout will be even lower than in most local elections.

Just another tier of useless bureaucracy. Nothing jobs for political cronies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024