Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Deadly Derek.. 17:47 - Apr 15 with 844 viewsnorfsufblue

I know a lot on here must be Essex fans but I follow Kent and we just lost one of our and my personal greats in the wonderful Derek Underwood. Him and Knotty in unison was was a wonderful and often poetry in motion.
Loved watching them playing for England on BBC 1/2 back in the day.
A sad cricketing loss
RIP Deadly
RIP Deadly Derek.. on 18:09 - Apr 15 with 773 viewsMK1

Fantastic player. Talked about, but not often enough. A true Kent and England legend.
R.I.P Great man.
RIP Deadly Derek.. on 18:16 - Apr 15 with 755 viewsChurchman

I follow Kent too and was lucky enough to see Derek play. One of the greats. On any sort of damp wicket he was true to his nickname. Deadly. Unplayable with his control and speed for a spin bowler.

RIP Mr Underwood.
RIP Deadly Derek.. on 19:11 - Apr 15 with 677 viewsbrogansnose

Another Kent follower here.

Goodness me, very sad to lose him but thanks for the memories Derek.
RIP Deadly Derek.. on 19:26 - Apr 15 with 654 viewsFtnfwest

Great bowler and competitor, one of the first england cricketers I remember around 72/73 RIP
RIP Deadly Derek.. on 10:14 - Apr 16 with 471 viewsElephantintheRoom

I seem to remember he was dropped by England from time to time because Norman Gifford had a more ‘correct’ action. Deadly was a bit unique in his near medium pacers.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

RIP Deadly Derek.. on 12:35 - Apr 16 with 408 viewsgainsboroughblue

RIP Deadly Derek.. on 10:14 - Apr 16 by ElephantintheRoom

I seem to remember he was dropped by England from time to time because Norman Gifford had a more ‘correct’ action. Deadly was a bit unique in his near medium pacers.

Pretty sure that when I used to get the 'Cricketers who's who' or 'Playfair handbook' each year, Underwood was always listed as 'left-arm slow-medium'.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

RIP Deadly Derek.. on 12:37 - Apr 16 with 405 viewsvilanovablue

Once described as a medium paced slow bowler on his day was unplayable. A true gent and a very sad loss.
RIP Deadly Derek.. on 14:55 - Apr 16 with 342 viewswoodbridge_blue

Surrey member here, but a great admirer of Deadly, as kids we all tried to copy his unique action but never succeeded.

One of my earliest cricketing memories is the last Ashes test at The Oval in 1968 when he skittled out the Aussies with about five minutes to spare, and all nine fielders in view around the bat.

Great player and by all accounts a really top bloke.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024