Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don’t often watch golf on TV 01:19 - Apr 13 with 1082 viewsIllinoisblue

But when I do I like to watch the Masters and hear the commentators talk about what a long and tiring day it’s been for the players.

Millionaires with caddies playing one of the best groomed courses in the world. Cry me a river ffs.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 08:24 - Apr 13 with 898 viewsChurchman

I enjoy golf. But I had to switch off last night. The commentators drove me nuts with endless wanging on about the weather. It was windy and more difficult. So what. This is a course where the rough is better than the greens on many ‘normal’ courses and the grass so dense it’s like playing off a tee most shots. Divots to play out from? Nope.

At one point McIlroy, who was made to look a second level mug by the best player in the world Scheffler, hoiked one into the water. ‘The wind’ etc etc bleated the commentators. No, McIlroy played the wrong shot badly. His partners didn’t. And that’s a player used to playing links golf. No excuses.

The conditions were the same for all. Get on with it.
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 09:38 - Apr 13 with 827 viewsNutkins_Return

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 08:24 - Apr 13 by Churchman

I enjoy golf. But I had to switch off last night. The commentators drove me nuts with endless wanging on about the weather. It was windy and more difficult. So what. This is a course where the rough is better than the greens on many ‘normal’ courses and the grass so dense it’s like playing off a tee most shots. Divots to play out from? Nope.

At one point McIlroy, who was made to look a second level mug by the best player in the world Scheffler, hoiked one into the water. ‘The wind’ etc etc bleated the commentators. No, McIlroy played the wrong shot badly. His partners didn’t. And that’s a player used to playing links golf. No excuses.

This is proper grumpy old man stuff 🤣. It was blowing an absolute Gail. Balls that were still were rolling off the green and on some holes putts were stopping half the distance as the wind got them etc. This is the pinnacle of the sport at the Masters and maybe the worst gusting conditions they've played in. Of course the commentators were talking about it. It was having a massive difference for the players that went out later like Rory, Rahm, Sheffler etc. They cut went from +2 to +6.

The whole point was the conditions were NOT the same for all. Those that went out early didn't have it and hence it impacted the pack in terms of scores. Why would commentators ignore what they were seeing with their eyes.
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 09:41 - Apr 13 with 824 viewsredrickstuhaart

I don't recall them saying "and you should be sympathetic to them because their lives are hard and they want your sympathy"

Bizarre comment.
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 10:04 - Apr 13 with 797 viewsstrikalite

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 09:38 - Apr 13 by Nutkins_Return

This is proper grumpy old man stuff 🤣. It was blowing an absolute Gail. Balls that were still were rolling off the green and on some holes putts were stopping half the distance as the wind got them etc. This is the pinnacle of the sport at the Masters and maybe the worst gusting conditions they've played in. Of course the commentators were talking about it. It was having a massive difference for the players that went out later like Rory, Rahm, Sheffler etc. They cut went from +2 to +6.

The whole point was the conditions were NOT the same for all. Those that went out early didn't have it and hence it impacted the pack in terms of scores. Why would commentators ignore what they were seeing with their eyes.

Yeah pretty spot on that to be fair, becomes farcical on the greens when you throw in the fact that they can't hold the ball back from a missed putt with perfect weight due to the conditions, once the wind starts moving the ball they're on the brink of walking off, which you can understand, and believe me I love to see these guys suffer on the course, that's becoming rare on these modern easy(for them)courses where the rough is cut down and it's set up for low scores....so I'm enjoying this, nobody killed it yesterday, they probably will today if the wind has dropped though..
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 10:23 - Apr 13 with 765 viewsblueislander

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 08:24 - Apr 13 by Churchman

It is not true that McIlroy is used to playing links courses. Obviously as a kid in Ireland he did , but for the past 15 years he will have played very little links golf. Also, given his golfing upbringing, he doesn’t like or do well playing in high winds.
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 17:10 - Apr 13 with 635 viewsNutkins_Return

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 10:04 - Apr 13 by strikalite

Yeah pretty spot on that to be fair, becomes farcical on the greens when you throw in the fact that they can't hold the ball back from a missed putt with perfect weight due to the conditions, once the wind starts moving the ball they're on the brink of walking off, which you can understand, and believe me I love to see these guys suffer on the course, that's becoming rare on these modern easy(for them)courses where the rough is cut down and it's set up for low scores....so I'm enjoying this, nobody killed it yesterday, they probably will today if the wind has dropped though..

Agree although I don't include Augusta as one of the easy courses. Very very difficult but the test is in the greens and they dry them out and make them harder each day. Some super tight fairways as well. They don't do the long roughs but they have some ridiculously tough holes. Would love to play it.
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 18:13 - Apr 13 with 582 viewsstrikalite

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 17:10 - Apr 13 by Nutkins_Return

Agree although I don't include Augusta as one of the easy courses. Very very difficult but the test is in the greens and they dry them out and make them harder each day. Some super tight fairways as well. They don't do the long roughs but they have some ridiculously tough holes. Would love to play it.

Yes Augusta is tough no doubt, though big advantage to be able to hit Driver 350 or three wood 300 as the top guys are doing, greens do somewhat compensate for that...but yep love this course..
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 20:12 - Apr 13 with 541 viewsChurchman

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 09:38 - Apr 13 by Nutkins_Return

That’s me! Grumpy as hell 😃. I love it when in America they are forced to play something other than parkland target golf. I get there was a little bit of a breeze. So what? We could see it. Mention it a couple of times but the commentators mentioned it on every single shot. Off button deployed.

Some players managed it better than others. Four rounds, early late starts first two days. You finish where you deserve. That’s why the majors are brilliant.

As for Scheffler, he seemed to manage ok. McIlroy, who should be used to playing in windy conditions, didn’t. But then one is the best player in the world.
[Post edited 13 Apr 23:09]
Login to get fewer ads

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 23:39 - Apr 13 with 460 viewsChurchman

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 17:10 - Apr 13 by Nutkins_Return

It is THE major to win really. The tradition, the beauty of the course, the Green Jacket. It’s special. You’d take it over all the others. I’d love to play Augusta, though even if a miracle occurred and I was allowed, I wouldn’t be good enough. I’ve played one or two top courses and boy, they’re hard going.

Watching the coverage, I’ve turned the sound off. They are bleating on about the greens being tough now. On the golf, Morikawa is playing really nicely as has Fleetwood today though he’s just dropped a shot on 18. DeChambeau hits some extraordinary shots and has a really bonkers putting style that seems to work - but just chipped it into the water from no distance. These guys are human!
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 00:04 - Apr 14 with 445 viewsBugs

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 23:39 - Apr 13 by Churchman

It is THE major to win really. The tradition, the beauty of the course, the Green Jacket. It’s special. You’d take it over all the others. I’d love to play Augusta, though even if a miracle occurred and I was allowed, I wouldn’t be good enough. I’ve played one or two top courses and boy, they’re hard going.

Watching the coverage, I’ve turned the sound off. They are bleating on about the greens being tough now. On the golf, Morikawa is playing really nicely as has Fleetwood today though he’s just dropped a shot on 18. DeChambeau hits some extraordinary shots and has a really bonkers putting style that seems to work - but just chipped it into the water from no distance. These guys are human!

I would take an Open win (especially at St Andrews) over a Masters, but can also understand where you're coming from, and accept it's certainly a valid opinion.

I just wish I had a tenth of the talent of the bloke that came last. I just want to break 80 once!
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 00:48 - Apr 14 with 426 viewsChurchman

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 00:04 - Apr 14 by Bugs

I would take an Open win (especially at St Andrews) over a Masters, but can also understand where you're coming from, and accept it's certainly a valid opinion.

I just wish I had a tenth of the talent of the bloke that came last. I just want to break 80 once!

When I was playing a lot for a period of a few years I was regularly scoring between 80 and 85 wherever I played. But I never broke 80 and I certainly won’t now. I’m absolute cr@p 😂. I just didn’t start early enough or play enough to get any better. Obviously I didn’t have the ability either.

I’ve been lucky enough to play with a fair number of good golfers and I did go to watch the Open once. These golfers are truly amazing. Different planet. I’d settle for a fraction of their talent too.

St Andrews? The home of golf. Yep, I’ll concede and agree with you on that, but the rest? I’d take the Masters every time. It’s the cache that goes with it as much as anything else.
[Post edited 14 Apr 0:55]
I don’t often watch golf on TV on 00:58 - Apr 14 with 403 viewsBugs

I don’t often watch golf on TV on 00:48 - Apr 14 by Churchman

When I was playing a lot for a period of a few years I was regularly scoring between 80 and 85 wherever I played. But I never broke 80 and I certainly won’t now. I’m absolute cr@p 😂. I just didn’t start early enough or play enough to get any better. Obviously I didn’t have the ability either.

I’ve been lucky enough to play with a fair number of good golfers and I did go to watch the Open once. These golfers are truly amazing. Different planet. I’d settle for a fraction of their talent too.

St Andrews? The home of golf. Yep, I’ll concede and agree with you on that, but the rest? I’d take the Masters every time. It’s the cache that goes with it as much as anything else.
[Post edited 14 Apr 0:55]

You're better than me! Also, a late starter to the game, My current HC is 17.7 best score is 83 but far more often closer to 100 than 80! Which in fairness to myself is right given my HC.....but also believe I can and should be be a lot better than my HC
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024