Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bozidar Jankovic 09:22 - Apr 12 with 1243 viewsgainsboroughblue

Now that was a kick in the crotch.

We owe Boro.
[Post edited 12 Apr 9:23]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Bozidar Jankovic on 09:43 - Apr 12 with 1153 viewsGlasgowBlue

Horrible day. Took a 1-0 lead as well. Just three weeks before I was at Villa Park when we lost the FA Cup semi final to Manchester City. We just ran out of steam that season due. to playing so many games with such a small squad.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Bozidar Jankovic on 09:57 - Apr 12 with 1082 viewsLord_Lucan

Bozidar Jankovic on 09:43 - Apr 12 by GlasgowBlue

Horrible day. Took a 1-0 lead as well. Just three weeks before I was at Villa Park when we lost the FA Cup semi final to Manchester City. We just ran out of steam that season due. to playing so many games with such a small squad.

And they say lightening doesn’t strike twice eh?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bozidar Jankovic on 11:08 - Apr 12 with 968 viewscressi

Bozidar Jankovic on 09:57 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

And they say lightening doesn’t strike twice eh?

I was there That day Arsenal beat Villa 2 - 0 think if we had won we would have won the title.
Bless you! (n/t) on 11:44 - Apr 12 with 882 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The away support that day ........ on 11:56 - Apr 12 with 857 viewsfhb1

I remember being at Ayresome Park that day, stuck in the open terracing in one of the corners I believe. Part of that (fading) memory is that there weren't really many Town fans there, considering the magnitude of the game. No more than a few hundred ?
Have I got that right - 'cos on today's standards, we'd have had thousands !
The away support that day ........ on 12:05 - Apr 12 with 820 viewsgainsboroughblue

The away support that day ........ on 11:56 - Apr 12 by fhb1

I remember being at Ayresome Park that day, stuck in the open terracing in one of the corners I believe. Part of that (fading) memory is that there weren't really many Town fans there, considering the magnitude of the game. No more than a few hundred ?

Not sure what roads, by-passes would've been built at that time but I reckon you could have added another hour or so on to travel time to Boro at that point. Attendances generally weren't fantastic across the country with,unemployment etc, though this did get worse mid 80s.

We did take a lot to Europe though and Villa away midweek was well attended.

Town's away following probably went up a notch in the Duncan era funnily enough. We'd regularly top 1,000, which back then was seen as a good turn out. Probably on average we'd take 500-800.

Burley era probably saw another increase but I wasn't as prolific then.

I had an away day renaissance between 2003 and 2012 where we were fairly consistent despite gradual decline on the field.

Bozidar Jankovic on 12:25 - Apr 12 with 741 viewsmr_bean

Dalian paid them back with interest in '88:

The away support that day ........ on 12:30 - Apr 12 with 728 viewsfhb1

The away support that day ........ on 12:05 - Apr 12 by gainsboroughblue

Not sure what roads, by-passes would've been built at that time but I reckon you could have added another hour or so on to travel time to Boro at that point. Attendances generally weren't fantastic across the country with,unemployment etc, though this did get worse mid 80s.

We did take a lot to Europe though and Villa away midweek was well attended.

Town's away following probably went up a notch in the Duncan era funnily enough. We'd regularly top 1,000, which back then was seen as a good turn out. Probably on average we'd take 500-800.

Burley era probably saw another increase but I wasn't as prolific then.

I had an away day renaissance between 2003 and 2012 where we were fairly consistent despite gradual decline on the field.

I expect the trip was much more arduous then, but you're right, the general fanbase was much lower - such a different social environment - including hooliganism.

I was at a sweet spot age then - earning enough on my paper round to afford to get to games, but too young to feel too threatened by those wanting to beat you up (with knives beginning to make more of an appearance then). Saying that, although i went on the coaches alone, I'd often pretend to be with other 'parent-like' people to avoid being smacked !
Login to get fewer ads

The away support that day ........ on 13:11 - Apr 12 with 652 viewsFtnfwest

The away support that day ........ on 11:56 - Apr 12 by fhb1

apart from the travel difference these days etc i do remember the constant ebb and flow that season of highs when we thought we would win the league and lows when we didn't. It looked like on a couple of occasions it was gone and the run in to that game was certainly one of them and kept the travelling numbers down. Then all of a sudden we had a temporary dreamland at half time, but then Bosco bl**dy jankovic popped up. Otherwise travelled pretty well that season, i went to the league game at villa having missed the semi 3 days earlier and that was very well attended to say the least.
The away support that day ........ on 13:37 - Apr 12 with 593 viewsfhb1

The away support that day ........ on 13:11 - Apr 12 by Ftnfwest

apart from the travel difference these days etc i do remember the constant ebb and flow that season of highs when we thought we would win the league and lows when we didn't. It looked like on a couple of occasions it was gone and the run in to that game was certainly one of them and kept the travelling numbers down. Then all of a sudden we had a temporary dreamland at half time, but then Bosco bl**dy jankovic popped up. Otherwise travelled pretty well that season, i went to the league game at villa having missed the semi 3 days earlier and that was very well attended to say the least.

I was at the Villa league game - a great night - I can remember climbing to the top of the fence at the front of the away section a the final whistle - whilst home fans starting to rush in a cause a few fights. I too missed the semi-final - having been to most of the games that season, i had to attend my grandparents silver bleedin wedding celebrations, in Dartford. It's the sort of thing you couldn't get out of in my family... All day people said "I thought you'd be at the game today" grrrr
The away support that day ........ on 14:38 - Apr 12 with 498 viewsnorfsufblue

The away support that day ........ on 13:11 - Apr 12 by Ftnfwest

Yep agree numbers were lower than you'd have thought ..... I remember learning of Arsenal's 2nd goal in the bog .. there was always someone with a transistor radio !.... thought we were finally going to do it ( though we still had one more game at home to win) but then we went all "Ipswich" and Bosco showed up and ruined everything!.... have to say though Jankovic was just doing his job though unlike Thomas in 1975!
Bozidar Jankovic on 14:43 - Apr 12 with 488 viewsLord_Lucan

Bozidar Jankovic on 11:08 - Apr 12 by cressi

I was there That day Arsenal beat Villa 2 - 0 think if we had won we would have won the title.

We would have had to beat Soton at home from memory.

Not sure but I think Villa beat the arse 3-0

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bozidar Jankovic on 15:22 - Apr 12 with 415 viewsrunaround

Bozidar Jankovic on 14:43 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

We would have had to beat Soton at home from memory.

Not sure but I think Villa beat the arse 3-0

Villa lost 2-0 at Arsenal so had we have beaten Boro then Soton we would have been champions.😩
Think I was too young at the time to appreciate how close we came to winning a treble and how we would not get that chance again. 9 year old me thought ITFC did those things all the time
Bozidar Jankovic on 15:28 - Apr 12 with 401 viewsgainsboroughblue

Bozidar Jankovic on 15:22 - Apr 12 by runaround

Villa lost 2-0 at Arsenal so had we have beaten Boro then Soton we would have been champions.😩
Think I was too young at the time to appreciate how close we came to winning a treble and how we would not get that chance again. 9 year old me thought ITFC did those things all the time

And it went to the last day the next season as well. Was never in our hands though. Liverpool were already a point ahead and beat Spurs 2-1. Peter 'bloody' Davenport scored a hat-trick to beat us down here.

We don't tend to come out the right side of final day of the season two or three way fights.

In my liftetime, I can only think of 93-94, 03-04 and 14-15.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024