Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A real positive from last night that could be crucial 07:01 - Apr 11 with 1521 viewsjasondozzell

I felt we played well and we didn't look nervy or overwhelmed. A bit tired yes,.but that's to be expected and the break after Sat will do us good.

But we played out football and looked much better after Norwich debacle.

We were back to playing our patterns and creating chances.

I feel that could be the difference. When you watch Leeds and Leicester there's a feeling they are more a team if individuals. Not sure under pressure how cohesive they are.

KMac's insistence on process and performance might make the difference.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:06 - Apr 11 with 1466 viewsportmanking

I'm just alarmed at how jaded we all seem. We don't have anywhere near the same effective press or running power. Teams are playing through us a lot easier too.

I think from my perspective there's a grave concern we're burning out at just the wrong time. Which would not bode well if it's to be the playoffs.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:14 - Apr 11 with 1414 viewsjasondozzell

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:06 - Apr 11 by portmanking

I'm just alarmed at how jaded we all seem. We don't have anywhere near the same effective press or running power. Teams are playing through us a lot easier too.

I think from my perspective there's a grave concern we're burning out at just the wrong time. Which would not bode well if it's to be the playoffs.

We've clearly had a difficult patch with illness and injury. Players are definitely tired. But they've got a two week break coming up that could make all the difference.

I think we've also got to remember where we are. Watford were in the premier league recently. They have massively underperformed this season. We can't expect to run teams over all the time.

I think we've got a bit spoilt because of how good we've been! We were the better side last night and deserved to win the game.

I can see the concerns but I think we're okay. We just need to win on Sat.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:14 - Apr 11 with 1410 viewsVic

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:06 - Apr 11 by portmanking

You may well be right about being jaded and tired. Physical and emotional toll and all that. The 2 wk break after Sat is just what we need. We’ll be ok for the PO’s - which is where I exp3ct us to be.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:21 - Apr 11 with 1372 viewsportmanking

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:14 - Apr 11 by jasondozzell

We've clearly had a difficult patch with illness and injury. Players are definitely tired. But they've got a two week break coming up that could make all the difference.

I think we've also got to remember where we are. Watford were in the premier league recently. They have massively underperformed this season. We can't expect to run teams over all the time.

I think we've got a bit spoilt because of how good we've been! We were the better side last night and deserved to win the game.

I can see the concerns but I think we're okay. We just need to win on Sat.

The fortnight break could make all the difference... IF we win Saturday. Although even then Leeds can really crank up the pressure with their following two games before we even kick a ball. Winning last night would have eased those fears significantly.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:35 - Apr 11 with 1282 viewsjasondozzell

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:21 - Apr 11 by portmanking

The fortnight break could make all the difference... IF we win Saturday. Although even then Leeds can really crank up the pressure with their following two games before we even kick a ball. Winning last night would have eased those fears significantly.

Yep, Saturday now is vital. Win and that break will be a lot easier for players and supporters.

We've just got to match Leeds. If they win all their remaining fixtures so be it. We'll have to do the same.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:45 - Apr 11 with 1219 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:35 - Apr 11 by jasondozzell

Yep, Saturday now is vital. Win and that break will be a lot easier for players and supporters.

We've just got to match Leeds. If they win all their remaining fixtures so be it. We'll have to do the same.

Boro won’t be a pushover either. Whilst they were (if we are being kind) mediocre when we played them away, the are now the league’s form team winning 4 and drawing 2.

I wonder if (like Leeds and Leicester) we are seeing an inverse of the ‘on the beach’ teams with nothing to play for. Players looking to impress for a move, get an improved contract, and finding the games generally easier and more enjoyable without the pressure of expectation (playoff/relegation).

Would expect a few more shock results before the season is over.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:46 - Apr 11 with 1212 viewsPioneerBlue

Agree with this, only caveat being we don’t write this team off as it has consistently positively surprised us. I know we may have peaked if we fast forward and look back, but it’s a big leap to say all the things we’ve been doing for a long time will suddenly stop being effective right at this moment. I therefore expect it’s more compounded internal break didn’t give whole squad training pitch time leading into run of games, a couple of injuries derailing a bit, illness and a bit of tiredness from many games. I expect us to deal with this moment based on what’s come before. Town are going up.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:51 - Apr 11 with 1112 viewstractorboy1978

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:45 - Apr 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Boro won’t be a pushover either. Whilst they were (if we are being kind) mediocre when we played them away, the are now the league’s form team winning 4 and drawing 2.

I wonder if (like Leeds and Leicester) we are seeing an inverse of the ‘on the beach’ teams with nothing to play for. Players looking to impress for a move, get an improved contract, and finding the games generally easier and more enjoyable without the pressure of expectation (playoff/relegation).

Would expect a few more shock results before the season is over.

I think games are almost impossible to call at this stage. We do look a bit jaded but so do Leeds and Leicester. Feels to me like it's going to be a case of who is sitting on the chairs when the music stops rather than any one team romping away with it from this point.

I really do think the two week break is going to be a good thing for us. A chance to mentally switch off a bit as much as a physical break. Huge game on Saturday though. And we will know how Leeds/Leicester have done beforehand.
Login to get fewer ads

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:09 - Apr 11 with 1023 viewsBloomBlue

I don't think it's physical jaded, it's mental jaded, the pressure is getting to the players as it is at Leeds and Leicester.
The pressure is making the players take the simple pass, or not gambling on a run, worried they will make a mistake which results in a goal for the opposition.
More than once last night the chance to take that gamble and ping it to a player in a tight situation wasn't taken and the simple side pass was taken, 2 months ago the ping would have been taken.

It's OK talking about one game at a time but it's only natural players will be aware of the Leeds, Leicester results from the previous night.

It's Sir Alex's famous squeaky bum time.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:18 - Apr 11 with 965 viewsportmanking

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:35 - Apr 11 by jasondozzell

That's the problem now. Not winning last night means we do need to match Leeds stride for stride. In all probability, this now means we're going to need a win at Hull to keep it in our hands. A very difficult prospect.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:23 - Apr 11 with 936 viewsportmanking

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:09 - Apr 11 by BloomBlue

I don't think it's physical jaded, it's mental jaded, the pressure is getting to the players as it is at Leeds and Leicester.
The pressure is making the players take the simple pass, or not gambling on a run, worried they will make a mistake which results in a goal for the opposition.
More than once last night the chance to take that gamble and ping it to a player in a tight situation wasn't taken and the simple side pass was taken, 2 months ago the ping would have been taken.

It's OK talking about one game at a time but it's only natural players will be aware of the Leeds, Leicester results from the previous night.

It's Sir Alex's famous squeaky bum time.

We thrived on the pressure last season, though? It feels like we're not dealing with it so well this time around. Maybe it's the greater exposure, the greater carrot, who knows. But I can't help feeling last night was the moment the top two slipped from our grasp (despite moving back in there with the draw).
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:24 - Apr 11 with 934 viewstractorboy1978

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:18 - Apr 11 by portmanking

That's the problem now. Not winning last night means we do need to match Leeds stride for stride. In all probability, this now means we're going to need a win at Hull to keep it in our hands. A very difficult prospect.

Hull have the 14th best home record to be fair. 29 points from 21 games. And in all likelihood they will be fully cooked by the time we play them.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:29 - Apr 11 with 899 viewsChurchman

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 07:14 - Apr 11 by Vic

You may well be right about being jaded and tired. Physical and emotional toll and all that. The 2 wk break after Sat is just what we need. We’ll be ok for the PO’s - which is where I exp3ct us to be.

That’s my take on it too. Play offs probably.

The positives:
My take in last night is that particularly first half we grew into the game and were unlucky not to go into HT a goal or two up. We played pretty well.
The boys gave everything, as they always do. Can’t ask for more.
It was one of those games we could have lost and we didn’t. MM was right. If you can’t win, don’t lose. McKenna’s post match interview was spot on as always.
We have never scored more points in the top two divisions.
When we are playing well, we are a joy to watch. After all, that’s really what it’s all about.

The negatives:
We look tired. Mick Mills on Radio Suffolk has it right. It is not necessarily a physical thing. Yes, every team has played a lot of games, but the way we play, the situation we are in, it feels like we are slightly off it.
As Mick pointed out, Morsy is slightly off form as are one or two others. Doesn’t take much. We also have a few players carrying injury. Not least Moore who looks a few percent below his best.
Omari (gem of a player), is being played more than I suspect KM would like.
We particularly miss Burns. A much better player than he looks on tv. Jackson did fine, but Burns has that little bit of variety to his game.

Overall, a bit disappointing at the time as it was an chance to hurt the other three. The top four have blasted this division and are looking a tad ragged now. Not surprising really so in looking back on it objectively I’m not disappointed. How can you be that after watching a smashing team give their all? Not me. I’ve watched the best football I’ve seen in years this season.

I thought Watford were decent. At times they looked what they are. A parachute team. There certainly weren’t there to roll over. It’s a cliche, but Championship really is a tough league. Last season at this time we were a country mile better than the opposition so it didn’t matter if a player or two were off form. At this level it does.

Do we have enough for top two? In all honesty, I think not, though if Burns/Hirst are back for the last two or three games, you never know.

Regardless of how the next month pans out, what a season. A team to be proud of from a club that’s growing. It’s all good.
[Post edited 11 Apr 8:34]
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:31 - Apr 11 with 888 viewsportmanking

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:24 - Apr 11 by tractorboy1978

Hull have the 14th best home record to be fair. 29 points from 21 games. And in all likelihood they will be fully cooked by the time we play them.

I get the cooked angle. Like you say, that's probably likely. However, they still have plenty of players who can take a game away from you in an instant. All it takes is Carvalho or Philogene to have a game where they're unplayable and we're really up against it. I just can't shake the feeling that last season we would've won last night and tightened the noose on our rivals. In the last week alone, we've let them off. Twice. Granted, we're playing at a much higher level, but these are the demands of a top-level Championship team.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:37 - Apr 11 with 834 viewsiamatractorboy

There was a real gap between the midfield and defensive lines at times, especially before we really got going in that first half. We were a bit fortunate Watford were complete pony in the final third or they would've punished that. I still think we should've won though, that pressure at the end of the first half should've seen us through but we didn't catch a break.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:49 - Apr 11 with 764 viewstractorboy1978

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:31 - Apr 11 by portmanking

I get the cooked angle. Like you say, that's probably likely. However, they still have plenty of players who can take a game away from you in an instant. All it takes is Carvalho or Philogene to have a game where they're unplayable and we're really up against it. I just can't shake the feeling that last season we would've won last night and tightened the noose on our rivals. In the last week alone, we've let them off. Twice. Granted, we're playing at a much higher level, but these are the demands of a top-level Championship team.

They've got players that can hurt you. Whenever I've watched them this season they've looked the proverbial team of individuals though. Not a lot of team structure and we schooled them at PR.

Saturday is our toughest game left for me. Boro just about still in the play off mix and we are looking a touch tired. I'm hoping a two week break and Hull/Coventry being out of the play off mix/having played 2 more games than us in our 2 week break will be of big benefit to us.

Anything can happen now though, we just have to be positive and back the team.
A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:50 - Apr 11 with 762 viewsBloomBlue

A real positive from last night that could be crucial on 08:23 - Apr 11 by portmanking

We thrived on the pressure last season, though? It feels like we're not dealing with it so well this time around. Maybe it's the greater exposure, the greater carrot, who knows. But I can't help feeling last night was the moment the top two slipped from our grasp (despite moving back in there with the draw).

Different quality of teams. For example, Watford were in the Prem only a couple of seasons ago they will have quality players, but playing with no pressure. That extra quality will hurt you and its quality missing from L1

Sir Alex squeaky bum comment was based on the Prem. You would argue players at that level should never be impacted by pressure but they are. As he said that pressure results in players doing strange things and often the complete opposite of what they have done up to that point in the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024