Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes article 16:43 - Apr 5 with 1808 viewsJimmy86

Having looked at the Downes article I would imagine there is very little chance of him ever returning to town, even if we were interested in bringing him back...

Was interested to see what sort of reception he'd get back at PR and was surprised at the booing.. seemed to have narked him too by the sounds of it.. can't see him rushing to want to return
Downes article on 16:47 - Apr 5 with 1754 viewsMK1

The booing wasn't necessary, but I think there is a a large chunk of jealousy in there. The manager didn't want him, that's good enough for me. Good player, but we have moved on. Suggest he does the same.
Downes article on 16:48 - Apr 5 with 1745 viewsdirtyboy

Why not? Kieffer was hardly loved by some fans and decided to come back

If we signed him, 99% of fans would be over the f****g moon and rightly so, quality player.
Downes article on 16:49 - Apr 5 with 1746 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He handed in a transfer request long before Cook arrived (at least 6 months), so I think his head was out of the door anyway.

I'm not sure why its all just being laid at Cooks door.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Downes article on 16:50 - Apr 5 with 1737 viewsSitfcB

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich by le2blue 5 Apr 15:01
Personally not a fan of booing our former players, especially academy ones and he wasn’t treated very well by Cookie, although always to side to a story…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68741934

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Downes article on 16:50 - Apr 5 with 1720 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Downes article on 16:47 - Apr 5 by MK1

The booing wasn't necessary, but I think there is a a large chunk of jealousy in there. The manager didn't want him, that's good enough for me. Good player, but we have moved on. Suggest he does the same.

To be honest, I think its kind of a back handed compliment from the fans.

Fans know he's a good player, in a team we desperately wanted to beat, so they wanted to try to put him off his game.

I wouldnt boo him, but I think if he was an average player for an average team, he wouldntve been booed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Downes article on 16:51 - Apr 5 with 1716 viewsJimmy86

Downes article on 16:47 - Apr 5 by MK1

Think Dyer did an interview on Statman's podcast stating that Cook held a meeting with Downes and wanted him to stay.. he was always a bit of a hot head and he was trying the other night to get the Egyptian king sent off, luckily Sam didn't bite...

He would have done well under McKenna, but looks from his point of view like there's no love lost
Downes article on 16:52 - Apr 5 with 1700 viewsblueislander

I don’t think that he would be averse to coming back given the change of ownership and management. Football fans are fickle and would welcome him if he performs well.
Downes article on 16:53 - Apr 5 with 1676 viewsJimmy86

Downes article on 16:50 - Apr 5 by SitfcB

Southampton midfielder 'wound up' after being booed at Ipswich by le2blue 5 Apr 15:01
Personally not a fan of booing our former players, especially academy ones and he wasn’t treated very well by Cookie, although always to side to a story…
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68741934

Ahh, didn't know there was another thread, my bad
Login to get fewer ads

Downes article on 16:54 - Apr 5 with 1647 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Downes article on 16:52 - Apr 5 by blueislander

I don’t think that he would be averse to coming back given the change of ownership and management. Football fans are fickle and would welcome him if he performs well.

He was sold by the current ownership.

But the club has changed loads since he left.

Downes article on 16:56 - Apr 5 with 1629 viewsMK1

Downes article on 16:50 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

To be honest, I think its kind of a back handed compliment from the fans.

Fans know he's a good player, in a team we desperately wanted to beat, so they wanted to try to put him off his game.

I wouldnt boo him, but I think if he was an average player for an average team, he wouldntve been booed.

Some fans just boo former players, regardless of their ability. He's a good player, but I wouldn't swap any of our first 15 for him.
Downes article on 16:57 - Apr 5 with 1610 viewsBasuco

I didn't hear any boo's it must have been a small number of Town fans, but he did look quality to me, it was funny when he pulled Morsey to the ground and held him down, Sam appeared to just roll back over him, can't have been comfortable for Flynn and he obviously did not expect Sam to do that and was not happy about it. Very funny to watch. Chappers caught him with a little kick to the back of the calf as well, totally accidental of course.
Downes article on 17:02 - Apr 5 with 1568 viewsBasuco

Downes article on 16:51 - Apr 5 by Jimmy86

Think Dyer did an interview on Statman's podcast stating that Cook held a meeting with Downes and wanted him to stay.. he was always a bit of a hot head and he was trying the other night to get the Egyptian king sent off, luckily Sam didn't bite...

He would have done well under McKenna, but looks from his point of view like there's no love lost

Hot head! I remember that full on Glasgow kiss he gave to a Cambridge Utd defender in a pre-season friendly. He was very lucky the ref did not put it in his report and avoided a ban.
Downes article on 17:05 - Apr 5 with 1523 viewsJimmy86

Downes article on 16:57 - Apr 5 by Basuco

I didn't hear any boo's it must have been a small number of Town fans, but he did look quality to me, it was funny when he pulled Morsey to the ground and held him down, Sam appeared to just roll back over him, can't have been comfortable for Flynn and he obviously did not expect Sam to do that and was not happy about it. Very funny to watch. Chappers caught him with a little kick to the back of the calf as well, totally accidental of course.

That battle between Downes and Morsy was interesting, as each of them were trying to rattle the other into getting booked or sent off...

Downes did look decent the other night, but it seems the booing has definitely rattled him and for a so called hard man he seems a little delicate about it.. he didn't have anything nice to say, as a returning player either.. shame all round
Downes article on 17:06 - Apr 5 with 1521 viewslurcher

Doesn't he omit many of the facts.

Like how he was quite disruptive and engineered a move to West Ham only for West Ham to pull out at the last minute. He sulked for ages after that.

Then the following summer his agent agent organised a move to Palace and he handed a transfer request in. It was the mess around the Palace situation that got him a spell in the U23s
Downes article on 17:08 - Apr 5 with 1489 viewsJimmy86

Downes article on 17:02 - Apr 5 by Basuco

Hot head! I remember that full on Glasgow kiss he gave to a Cambridge Utd defender in a pre-season friendly. He was very lucky the ref did not put it in his report and avoided a ban.

Yep, wasn't it away in a game abroad against a Dutch team? Or did it happen more than once? Always had that streak about him and he still seems to have it.. coming up against Morsy was like fighting fire, with fire
Downes article on 17:45 - Apr 5 with 1281 viewsSwailsey

I’d have him back but he seems extremely salty, bringing up the money we got from him. Let it go.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Downes article on 17:56 - Apr 5 with 1228 viewsScottCandage

Downes article on 16:49 - Apr 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

He handed in a transfer request long before Cook arrived (at least 6 months), so I think his head was out of the door anyway.

I'm not sure why its all just being laid at Cooks door.

I was like 95% sure he had asked to be transferred before all this happened. Sorry dude, if you weren't advised by your agent that this would be a possibility of your transfer request, then you had a bad agent. Once you ask for a transfer, never be surprised if you are frozen out.
Downes article on 18:07 - Apr 5 with 1158 viewsReusersTown

He behaved like a complete and utter tw*t at the time, and in the have the other day too. I'd be fairly happy if he did never play for us again.
Downes article on 18:54 - Apr 5 with 1003 viewsHighgateBlue

Downes article on 17:06 - Apr 5 by lurcher

Like how he was quite disruptive and engineered a move to West Ham only for West Ham to pull out at the last minute. He sulked for ages after that.

Then the following summer his agent agent organised a move to Palace and he handed a transfer request in. It was the mess around the Palace situation that got him a spell in the U23s

To be fair, I don't remember much of what you claim to be facts ever appearing in a TWTD news item. It's conceivable that he knows more about the facts than you do.

From what we do know, my opinion is that he wasn't treated greatly here (I appreciate it's an opinion rather than a fact). He was clearly a cut above what we had at the time, albeit League One is perhaps not the easiest forum in which to show one's class.

He's entitled not to be chuffed at being booed, and frankly I think it's totally classless to boo him, especially given that we're doing just fine and we've received fair compensation for him.
Downes article on 19:25 - Apr 5 with 911 viewsArnieM

Downes article on 17:06 - Apr 5 by lurcher

Correct. He’s a snivelling little brat of the highest order. He’s personally attributes make him as far re,over from Towns current squad as it is possible to get. He’s not fit to grace the the Town shirt, and I wouldn’t want him back here if he begged us.

As for Town fans booing him, I can’t recall hearing anything, but his comments are yet more evidence of his sheer arrogance. He’ll end up being Yet another Billy big bollox journeyman.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Downes article on 19:36 - Apr 5 with 866 viewsVic

Downes article on 19:25 - Apr 5 by ArnieM

Correct. He’s a snivelling little brat of the highest order. He’s personally attributes make him as far re,over from Towns current squad as it is possible to get. He’s not fit to grace the the Town shirt, and I wouldn’t want him back here if he begged us.

As for Town fans booing him, I can’t recall hearing anything, but his comments are yet more evidence of his sheer arrogance. He’ll end up being Yet another Billy big bollox journeyman.

I think that's a little harsh Arnie. Not fit to grace the Town shirt? Really? And what's he done to you to make you think he's a 'snivelling little rat'?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024