Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History 09:33 - Mar 24 with 4176 viewsKeno

its a little dusty here, and there I a lot of pollen about and I cant help but think that what we are building today in terms of the feeling, the atmosphere, a style a clearly defined 'Ipswich Way" do resonant with the Robson era

a few other random thoughts

apparently it is 'may not be appropriate' to shout 'you effing useless welsh c*** b'stard' when Clive Thomas came on the screen although I did point that is was factually correct

I miss the old Northstand

What a player Beattie was my word you forget just how good

I do care what other team you compare us with there is no one else I would want to support, we truly are the finest football team the world has ever seen

COYBS!!!!!

in case anyone else wants to watch

[Post edited 24 Mar 9:38]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:30 - Mar 26 with 376 viewsgainsboroughblue

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:08 - Mar 26 by DJR

Yes, that was the game, and I ought to have remembered the date because it was my birthday and I was 10.

In those days, I used to get on a bus from Broke Hall with friends of the same age to go to games. We used to get there when the ground opened (around 1.30), stand in Churchmans and sing songs long before kick-off. At that age it was a real adventure.

We'd then watch the game on Match of the Week the next day at someone's house with Gerry Harrison commentating, and jump about and shout when the goals went in.
[Post edited 26 Mar 15:14]

Pretty sure MOTW would be on a Saturday night sometimes as well. Used to be on after Tales of the unexpected or Sapphire and Steel or something.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:46 - Mar 26 with 360 viewsBluePG

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 07:46 - Mar 25 by Churchman

I read that too. From a number of sources around that time and right the way up to when Sky invented football and all previous teams and achievements were chucked in the bin.

And it really was an extraordinary team. So close to the rewards it deserved.

The opening paragraph in the excellent The Men Who Made The Town chapter for the 1980/81 season says something like, “Quite simply, during the 1980/81 season, Ipswich Town were the best side in the country, and probably in the top three sides in Europe.”

Ok, biased as was written by Ipswich fans, however those words will always stay with me since I first read them as a 14-year old.

An updated version would be excellent at some stage; the statistics themselves were a joy to flick through. There were one or two updates in the following seasons, however as we fell from grace nothing was subsequently produced, I believe.

Poll: Best Dane?

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:48 - Mar 26 with 357 viewssolemio

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 14:46 - Mar 26 by farkenhell

Michel Platini said something like this.

Platini certainly said we were the best team in Europe that season.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 16:25 - Mar 26 with 322 viewsDJR

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:30 - Mar 26 by gainsboroughblue

Pretty sure MOTW would be on a Saturday night sometimes as well. Used to be on after Tales of the unexpected or Sapphire and Steel or something.

In those days Match of the Week was on a Sunday, and from recollection it tended to feature either Ipswich or Norwich when they were at home, although for some bizarre reason I remember one season when Hull were on it a lot (I think because they were on the verge of promotion to the First Division).
[Post edited 26 Mar 18:26]
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 18:02 - Mar 26 with 291 viewsfarkenhell

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 16:25 - Mar 26 by DJR

In those days Match of the Week was on a Sunday, and from recollection it tended to feature either Ipswich or Norwich when they were at home, although for some bizarre reason I remember one season when Hull were on it a lot (I think because they were on the verge of promotion to the First Division).

That's right, although I do recall that for a few seasons in the late 70's/early 80's, ITV (MotW) swapped its schedule with BBC (MotD), so that, in alternate years, ITV was on Saturday night and BBC was on Sunday early afternoon. It didn't work out though and they soon changed it back to their regular slots.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 18:44 - Mar 26 with 267 viewsgainsboroughblue

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 16:25 - Mar 26 by DJR

I think the Hull thing was all to do with the Belmont transmitter as you used to be able to pick up Anglia TV into parts of Lincs/Yorks.

I think parts of Norfolk can still pick up Yorkshire TV.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 19:46 - Mar 26 with 241 viewsChurchman

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:46 - Mar 26 by BluePG

The opening paragraph in the excellent The Men Who Made The Town chapter for the 1980/81 season says something like, “Quite simply, during the 1980/81 season, Ipswich Town were the best side in the country, and probably in the top three sides in Europe.”

Ok, biased as was written by Ipswich fans, however those words will always stay with me since I first read them as a 14-year old.

An updated version would be excellent at some stage; the statistics themselves were a joy to flick through. There were one or two updates in the following seasons, however as we fell from grace nothing was subsequently produced, I believe.

It would! I have the book, albeit with a ripped up dust jacket.

It’s very much an encyclopaedia style as opposed to Ken Rice’s 1972/3 book ‘Ipswich’ which my Godfather very kindly bought for me. I virtually zzzd with that book!
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 19:47 - Mar 26 with 241 viewsswede

A wonderful walk down memory lane. Even footage of my first ever match in Oct 1970 when Town beat Liverpool with a goal from Mick Hill. I don't think I have seen that footage since it was aired on MOTD fifty-four years ago. Urgh I feel old!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024