Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any car dealers, or similar on here? 10:49 - Mar 13 with 1818 viewsVic

I've just returned a faulty car to the used car dealer I bought it from. I had to take them to court to get him to accept it back. They picked it up yesterday but as they hadn't made the payment into my account I kept the V5. They are now saying they need "the full v5 before payment".

So I have 2 questions:
1) Is this usual? They have proven so unscrupulous that I don't really trust them with both the car and the V5 before they've paid!
2) when they ask for the full V5 do they mean the whole document, or everything but the yellow slip? I'm a bit confused because the V5 and the Gov website say that if you sell to the motor trade you give them the main part of the V5 and keep the yellow part. However, strictly speaking I'm not selling it to them - I'm just returning a faulty car!

Whats your advice guys and gals?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 10:55 - Mar 13 with 1764 viewstcblue

My advice would be to take the V5 into the dealership and get paid there and then
Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:02 - Mar 13 with 1742 viewsearlsgreenblue

As the cars going back in to the trade you are correct keep the yellow bit & inform DVLA your no longer the keeper, if you don’t & it’s still registered to you potentially you could have grief in the future if it doesn’t get taxed etc, & also that’s how any remaining tax is refunded to you. Don’t forget to inform insurance take it off your liability they can’t use it so easily then!
The V5 is not proof of ownership any way so of little value & can relatively easily be reapplied for.
Best of luck.
Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:03 - Mar 13 with 1738 viewsVic

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 10:55 - Mar 13 by tcblue

My advice would be to take the V5 into the dealership and get paid there and then

Agreed - but unfortunately they are 250 miles away and unless absolutely pushed I haven't the time to go there and back.

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:07 - Mar 13 with 1727 viewsVic

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:02 - Mar 13 by earlsgreenblue

As the cars going back in to the trade you are correct keep the yellow bit & inform DVLA your no longer the keeper, if you don’t & it’s still registered to you potentially you could have grief in the future if it doesn’t get taxed etc, & also that’s how any remaining tax is refunded to you. Don’t forget to inform insurance take it off your liability they can’t use it so easily then!
The V5 is not proof of ownership any way so of little value & can relatively easily be reapplied for.
Best of luck.

Cheers. In terms of the money would you advise to comply with their request? Is that normal?

It's a bit of a mess really - because thinking about it, my guess is that they won't want to be registered as the owner will they. (From memory I don't think dealers usually change the V5 into their name do they? TBH, I'm not sure what or how they do it - hence asking on here!)

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:08 - Mar 13 with 1733 viewsearlsgreenblue

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:03 - Mar 13 by Vic

Agreed - but unfortunately they are 250 miles away and unless absolutely pushed I haven't the time to go there and back.

There’s also a very good tip in that as well, I’d always advise customers who might ask if I had x or y in stock & didn’t have, to look locally & source if possible as historically long distance purchases ended in tragedy when something went wrong!
Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:20 - Mar 13 with 1694 viewsVic

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:08 - Mar 13 by earlsgreenblue

There’s also a very good tip in that as well, I’d always advise customers who might ask if I had x or y in stock & didn’t have, to look locally & source if possible as historically long distance purchases ended in tragedy when something went wrong!

Absolutely - and sounds like you're one of the good guys!

Ironically it was the local village garage at the time it was bought (by my son) but he has moved back to Suffolk in the time it has taken to get to court to get the order for them to issue a refund. It's a non runner and I've been storing it for him since he moved back.

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:32 - Mar 13 with 1638 viewsPinewoodblue

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:20 - Mar 13 by Vic

Absolutely - and sounds like you're one of the good guys!

Ironically it was the local village garage at the time it was bought (by my son) but he has moved back to Suffolk in the time it has taken to get to court to get the order for them to issue a refund. It's a non runner and I've been storing it for him since he moved back.

Not sure it is technically a refund but a judgement in your favour which happens to be the amount paid.

You might still have to go back to court to enforce the judgement.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 12:33 - Mar 13 with 1451 viewsPendejo

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 11:03 - Mar 13 by Vic

Send V5 by recorded delivery, taking photographs of document being inserted in the envelope, and of the postage frank / stamp.f

You will get a tracking number and will know when it's delivered.

V5 is only registered keeper not owner, for ownership to pass there needs to be payment. Are you able to register anything at HPI?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 12:49 - Mar 13 with 1402 viewsDJR

I am not an expert on the V5 document, but if there is a court order, and they have the car, you are entitled to payment and are in strong position by still having the V5. Indeed, given the court order, I would have thought you were entitled to payment before returning the car

So I would tell them you want payment before you send the V5, and go back to court for enforcement if they play silly b*ggers.
[Post edited 13 Mar 12:50]
Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 13:42 - Mar 13 with 1249 viewsredrickstuhaart

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 12:49 - Mar 13 by DJR

I am not an expert on the V5 document, but if there is a court order, and they have the car, you are entitled to payment and are in strong position by still having the V5. Indeed, given the court order, I would have thought you were entitled to payment before returning the car

So I would tell them you want payment before you send the V5, and go back to court for enforcement if they play silly b*ggers.
[Post edited 13 Mar 12:50]

If its an order, the v5 is irrelevant. They must pay within 14 days.
Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 14:08 - Mar 13 with 1180 viewsgiant_stow

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 13:42 - Mar 13 by redrickstuhaart

If its an order, the v5 is irrelevant. They must pay within 14 days.

They might go bust though - I'd keep the car, until I have the money, personally.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 14:40 - Mar 13 with 1130 viewsVic

Thanks all, comments much appreciated.

If I do send the V5 should I send it all or keep the yellow section? Either way I presume I'll do transfer to the dealer via the DVLA online thingy.?

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 14:57 - Mar 13 with 1097 viewsPinewoodblue

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 14:40 - Mar 13 by Vic

Thanks all, comments much appreciated.

If I do send the V5 should I send it all or keep the yellow section? Either way I presume I'll do transfer to the dealer via the DVLA online thingy.?

Does your son have any friends, or perhaps former work colleagues, who live in the area the dealer is?*

If he does perhaps you could post the V5 to them and they can hand it over, but only when you confirm the money has been received. The V5 is a red herring, the real problem is you don’t yet have your money.

* If they , legitimately, wear a police uniform all the better.

II the car were to be parked on the road, or in a car park, the registered keeper would be responsible for any tickets.

Does the court order clearly state which order things should be done in. You shouldn’t be trusting someone who makes you get a court order, no guarantee they will behave honourably.

2023 year of destiny

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 15:14 - Mar 13 with 1039 viewsVic

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 14:57 - Mar 13 by Pinewoodblue

Does your son have any friends, or perhaps former work colleagues, who live in the area the dealer is?*

If he does perhaps you could post the V5 to them and they can hand it over, but only when you confirm the money has been received. The V5 is a red herring, the real problem is you don’t yet have your money.

* If they , legitimately, wear a police uniform all the better.

II the car were to be parked on the road, or in a car park, the registered keeper would be responsible for any tickets.

Does the court order clearly state which order things should be done in. You shouldn’t be trusting someone who makes you get a court order, no guarantee they will behave honourably.

You are right.

The big and frustrating thing is this is that after 27 of the 30 days the court stipulated for the car needed to be picked up and 'refund' paid they still haven't issued the paperwork of the order. He's chased them but still nothing. It's been an 18 month nightmare from start to finish - and now it seems it's still not over! Poor lad works in the NHS in a role and with shifts that just don;t give him space or time to do this donkey work himself.

Do you know which bit of the V5 should be sent? All of it or should he keep a bit back? I'm assuming that the dealer will want to have it all so they can just hand it to the next poor sucker who buys the very duff car from them.
[Post edited 13 Mar 15:17]

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 17:04 - Mar 13 with 915 viewsPinewoodblue

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 15:14 - Mar 13 by Vic

You are right.

The big and frustrating thing is this is that after 27 of the 30 days the court stipulated for the car needed to be picked up and 'refund' paid they still haven't issued the paperwork of the order. He's chased them but still nothing. It's been an 18 month nightmare from start to finish - and now it seems it's still not over! Poor lad works in the NHS in a role and with shifts that just don;t give him space or time to do this donkey work himself.

Do you know which bit of the V5 should be sent? All of it or should he keep a bit back? I'm assuming that the dealer will want to have it all so they can just hand it to the next poor sucker who buys the very duff car from them.
[Post edited 13 Mar 15:17]

Sorry I don't know the answer to that one. I know you shouldn’t but I have always left the dealer to do it for me.

2023 year of destiny

Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 17:12 - Mar 13 with 896 viewsericclacton

Yes.
Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 18:53 - Mar 13 with 798 viewscressi

I would photo copy before I sent if they have already been a pain
Any car dealers, or similar on here? on 19:59 - Mar 13 with 735 viewsOldFart71

I don't in anyway suggest this to you. But a former work colleague once told me he had a similar problem when he bought a car from a dealer who refused to do anything about a car that was far from satisfactory. Suffice to say the dealer had a little visit one night, well more precisely his car lot and not many of his vehicles were fit for resale the next day. I found to my cost that unlike buying from a dealer buying private doesn't have or give you the same cover law wise.I bought a vehicle off an auction website, went to pick it up and it looked superb. My fault but I got carried away with the look of the thing. It was a Saab cabriolet. Paid in cash and the thing flew home. Due to having another car at the time I parked the Saab up , got rid of the other car and started using it. Four day's later the engine warning light came on. To cut a long story short the repair of the engine cost me about three times the amount I had paid for the car. I'd have been better cutting my losses and scrapping it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024