Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our away defence compared to home defence 23:35 - Feb 21 with 3708 viewspointofblue

The difference in the number of goals we've conceded home and away is stark.

Home - 26 from 16 games (15 more than Leicester and Leeds, 6 more than Southampton, 13 more than West Brom, 10 more than Hull, 12 more than Coventry, 8 more than Norwich)

Away - 18 from 17 games (3 more than Leicester and Leeds, two less than Southampton, level with West Brom, 8 less than Hull, 5 less than Coventry, 14 less than Norwich)

It's even more ridiculous when considering seven of those 18 goals came at Leeds and Preston, so that makes it 11 from the remaining 15.

To put it in greater perspective, we have the joint third best away defence but our home defensive record is worse than everyone, Preston excluded, up to Blackburn in 16th, and even the bottom three have conceded fewer goals.

From what I've seen we don't seem to approach the games that differently away from Portman Road but there must be something behind why we seem so much better on the road. I'm sure it's something McKenna is looking into, and working out if we can bring anything from our travels to the home matches.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 15:20 - Feb 22 with 581 viewsBlueBadger

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:29 - Feb 22 by ArnieM

We don't deal with Teams that transition from defence to attack quickly because we are slow in midfield and defence.

We don't ( and rarely have) defended balls coming into our box . Certain individuals cant header a ball, and lack physical presence to dominate their opponent in the box.

We are poor at covering for our LB and especially RB when they go forward. We have conceded most of our goals down our right side .

The Rotherham game encapsulated most of the above.

And yet, 16 teams in the division have conceded more than we have.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 15:23 - Feb 22 with 576 viewsBlueBadger

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:40 - Feb 22 by Herbivore

Based on your description, it's a miracle we aren't about to get relegated.

I'm starting to think that Arn may not be one of our more insightful analysts.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 16:13 - Feb 22 with 541 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We don't deal with Teams that transition from defence to attack quickly because we are slow in midfield and defence.

We don't ( and rarely have) defended balls coming into our box . Certain individuals cant header a ball, and lack physical presence to dominate their opponent in the box.

We are poor at covering for our LB and especially RB when they go forward. We have conceded most of our goals down our right side .

I am not quite sure that the Rotherham match demonstrated those at all.

None of the Rotherham goals was about a lack of cover in either full back position. Only 1 of the 3 was about a lack of heading/physical presence (unless you are suggesting that Woolfenden should have tried to head clear the ball when Hladky has come for it and presumably called for it).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Our away defence compared to home defence on 17:00 - Feb 22 with 517 viewsElephantintheRoom

Our away defence compared to home defence on 12:22 - Feb 22 by pointofblue

Teams tend to defend more say from home and be more ging ho at home... but we've conceded far more goals to visitors than we have on our travels?

I wonder if there is anything we can implement from our away performances to the games at Portman Road, or whether this would affect the goals scored column? As horrible as Tuesday was, I prefer winning 4-3 to 1-0.

I suspect being a team that is capable of 4-3 is a bit better than doing ´an Arsenal’ of the George Graham vintage.

Both in terms of spectator interest and being difficult to beat. Must be a bit of a worry for the opposition!

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Our away defence compared to home defence on 17:55 - Feb 22 with 487 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

It’s a miracle we’ve only conceded 6 from set pieces (only Leeds and Hull are better with 5) if we don’t defend balls in the box. That or you’re wrong.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 19:11 - Feb 22 with 452 viewsVic

Our away defence compared to home defence on 09:03 - Feb 22 by SuperKieranMcKenna

We have to stop the brain farts and lethargic first 20 minutes. Conceding from the oppositions first attack was utterly ridiculous, and far from the first time. You have to admire the ability to dig deep and come back from setbacks, but we need to start ironing out some of these mistakes if we end up in the playoffs. The Rotherham penalty was a joke, but they score two really soft goals, imagine what the likes of Leeds would do to us.

I get there must be some tiredness in the team but we’ve got quality cover now, and every team plays the same number of league games. We have the quality at the back, Woolfie and Burgess overall have had good seasons, but we do need to come out and defensively make our mark on the game.

Agreed. I’d just say with Woolfie that someone (like Big Al) needs to tell him where row Z is! Sometimes he needs to not try to play pretty but just to take the ball, the man and anything else in his way to get rid of the ball.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Our away defence compared to home defence on 20:59 - Feb 22 with 428 viewsstrikalite

We play more risk reward at home, with full backs pushed on we're left exposed at the back, nothing new there, the reward certainly outweighs the risk you have to say given our points tally against better opposition than last season obviously, every team in this league offers a threat down the flanks no doubt..
Our away defence compared to home defence on 21:20 - Feb 22 with 422 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Our away defence compared to home defence on 19:11 - Feb 22 by Vic

Agreed. I’d just say with Woolfie that someone (like Big Al) needs to tell him where row Z is! Sometimes he needs to not try to play pretty but just to take the ball, the man and anything else in his way to get rid of the ball.

There are times where we persist with the passing it out from the back when it clearly isn't working. Mixing it up a little is key especially as we can pass it long from the back very effectively too. Sometimes we are too slow at progressing up the pitch. It is a balancing act, though, as keeping possession is key. However, if we are going to lose possession, better it to be in the opposition half than in front of our own area!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Our away defence compared to home defence on 03:11 - Feb 23 with 381 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ipswich concede too many goals is the narrative why we won’t go up and while there’s some truth in goals against column we have literally lost the least amount of games in the league. Out scoring the opposition is generally how you’ll get the most points. It’s hurt us a few times at home but minimal, only scum, wba, Leeds - which is low considering the amount we actually have conceded. One loss, 11 wins.
[Post edited 23 Feb 3:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024