Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post Office Scandal 08:46 - Feb 13 with 623 viewsChurchman

Attached is the latest link on this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/13/ex-post-office-boss-gave-fujitsu

This scandal is beyond belief. Everything I read on it disgusts me. Fujitsu, that rubbish company who have tied up politicians in a neat little bow while raking in millions of yours and my money repeated their apology. Oh, that’s ok then. Thanks for the apology. All better now.

Apart from the many people who’ve had their lives ruined.

If ever a person deserved to be facing a criminal trial after the Public Enquiry, it’s Paula Vennells. But it won’t happen. There are too many bigger fish up the food chain, all the way to number 10, that’d be in the spotlight.

It’s easier to cover up than expose when you have weak laws. Ford’s ecoboost engines are a good example. Fords are getting hammered by legal cases in America because of failure of these. They don’t even make the parts to repair them, as my mate’s daughter recently found out when her five year old car took four months to repair at a cost of over £2k.

All Ford’s energy is in dealing with America and what’s being thrown at them there. The U.K.? Who cares. Here they are legally untouchable. A bit like their rotten engines should be.
Post Office Scandal on 08:51 - Feb 13 with 613 viewsredrickstuhaart

Not sure what you are on about with Ford. Perhaps not a story which has been seen. But of course anyone buying a car here has legal recourse...
Post Office Scandal on 09:07 - Feb 13 with 561 viewsChurchman

Post Office Scandal on 08:51 - Feb 13 by redrickstuhaart

Not sure what you are on about with Ford. Perhaps not a story which has been seen. But of course anyone buying a car here has legal recourse...

Some stuff here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/posts/3118059698463902/

And here:

https://lemonlawexperts.com/ford-ecoboost-lawsuit/

There are ways to mitigate failure of them to an extent. My buddy has been advised to ignore the recommended servicing requirements for his Fiesta and Focus and get the oil changed every six months and the timing belts more frequently than recommended.

As for legal recourse that depends on the age of the vehicle doesn’t it?
Post Office Scandal on 11:02 - Feb 13 with 485 viewsRadlett_blue

The Post Office scandal is a good example of how the American system of being able to impose punitive damages might have changed the behaviour of the Post Office and/or Fujitsu. Of course, the likelihood is that the Post Office would have gone bust & the taxpayer would have picked up the bill.
However, I don't think we want to Amercanise our legal system, with telephone numer figures regularly being awarded in compensation becasue the result is that companies need to take out hugely expensive insurance policies & the cost of this is passed on to the consumer. Medical malpractice is a good example of this.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Post Office Scandal on 12:01 - Feb 13 with 445 viewsChurchman

Post Office Scandal on 11:02 - Feb 13 by Radlett_blue

The Post Office scandal is a good example of how the American system of being able to impose punitive damages might have changed the behaviour of the Post Office and/or Fujitsu. Of course, the likelihood is that the Post Office would have gone bust & the taxpayer would have picked up the bill.
However, I don't think we want to Amercanise our legal system, with telephone numer figures regularly being awarded in compensation becasue the result is that companies need to take out hugely expensive insurance policies & the cost of this is passed on to the consumer. Medical malpractice is a good example of this.

I think you make a very good point and you are of course right.

However, something does need to be done to reduce the risk of disgraceful activities like that of the Post Office, Fujitsu, officials and politicians in this case ever being repeated. The same applies to the free for all for tax payers money with PPE and Covid contracts. Free money (yours and mine) for certain people and no accountability.

As national disgraces go the nearest I can think to the Pist Office disgrace it is the actions of the NCB and Government over the Aberfan disaster in the 1960s.
Post Office Scandal on 12:10 - Feb 13 with 435 viewsRadlett_blue

Post Office Scandal on 12:01 - Feb 13 by Churchman

I think you make a very good point and you are of course right.

However, something does need to be done to reduce the risk of disgraceful activities like that of the Post Office, Fujitsu, officials and politicians in this case ever being repeated. The same applies to the free for all for tax payers money with PPE and Covid contracts. Free money (yours and mine) for certain people and no accountability.

As national disgraces go the nearest I can think to the Pist Office disgrace it is the actions of the NCB and Government over the Aberfan disaster in the 1960s.

The problem is, whom do you actually blame & try to penalise for this fiasco?
Post Office executives - it's easy to blame Vennells, but this had been 8 years in the making before she even started working at the PO. Yes, she seemed to handle the aftermath very badly.
Post Office directors - were they asleep on the job?
Post Office ministers - see Ed Davey.
Fujitsu.
Trying to prosecute individuals is expensive, comples & rarely successful. However, if it can be proven that people lied under oath, they could pe charged with perjury, which is a serious offence.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024