Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? 07:35 - Feb 11 with 1395 viewstonydinning

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back?

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 09:18 - Feb 11 with 1206 viewsElephantintheRoom

His spot? You just rendered this poll meaningless

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 10:32 - Feb 11 with 1142 viewsEastboundSplinter

Did you see Walton v Maidstone?
Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:44 - Feb 11 with 1057 viewsRyorry

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 10:32 - Feb 11 by EastboundSplinter

Did you see Walton v Maidstone?

Can't blame him for being rusty.

Big risk/gamble to change keepers at any time unless enforced, particularly since our other defenders aren't exactly solid currently, but if KM were to try it, I suppose now would be the time.

This is where having a cup run would have been helpful.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:48 - Feb 11 with 1036 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:44 - Feb 11 by Ryorry

Big risk/gamble to change keepers at any time unless enforced, particularly since our other defenders aren't exactly solid currently, but if KM were to try it, I suppose now would be the time.

To be fair, Hladky should never have been beaten for the second goal, but apart from that, he really hasn't done enough wrong for his place to be under threat at all.

What would help him is if the players in front of him would stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:55 - Feb 11 with 1036 viewsblueasfook

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 09:18 - Feb 11 by ElephantintheRoom

His spot? You just rendered this poll meaningless

He was undisputed #1 keeper last season and only got displaced due to being injured. Hladky came in and did great but lately I think there is a good argument to consider bringing Walton back. I've been saying this for a few weeks. Many people seem to be in denial that Hladky has been culpable in the goals we have conceded lately. I could see Brom's goal coming a mile off yesterday when they were playing the high press yet he still decided to roll it out to a defender putting us immediately in peril.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 12:02 - Feb 11 with 1001 viewsEastboundSplinter

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:55 - Feb 11 by blueasfook

He was undisputed #1 keeper last season and only got displaced due to being injured. Hladky came in and did great but lately I think there is a good argument to consider bringing Walton back. I've been saying this for a few weeks. Many people seem to be in denial that Hladky has been culpable in the goals we have conceded lately. I could see Brom's goal coming a mile off yesterday when they were playing the high press yet he still decided to roll it out to a defender putting us immediately in peril.

If we were to bring Walton back in we’d have to change our game up a lot. I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing as we’ve been found out. But many on the board seem to disagree.
Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 14:02 - Feb 11 with 872 viewsitfcbam

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:48 - Feb 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

To be fair, Hladky should never have been beaten for the second goal, but apart from that, he really hasn't done enough wrong for his place to be under threat at all.

What would help him is if the players in front of him would stop shooting themselves in the foot.

With the ball at his feet has been a big plus this season, and created openings. However he has given the ball away a few times recently. Would be a massive call to switch but 1 I feel might only might be worth doing. Defense look very uncertain in front of him, Walton is a better organiser and more vocal. Overall feel he is the better of the 2 keepers, but Hladky has been so good this season, especially early part.
Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 14:09 - Feb 11 with 856 viewsWeWereZombies

Surely if we rotate the keepers they will not see the shots coming in ?

Unless we can fit them with wing mirrors...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 14:57 - Feb 11 with 822 viewsBluJu

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:48 - Feb 11 by Cheltenham_Blue

I totally disagree. He was unsighted by at least Wolfy, if not other players too as the shot was taken. The blame for that goal is elsewhere. The stupid pass into midfield? Players not closing Swift down?
Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 17:24 - Feb 11 with 733 viewsVegtablue

Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back? on 11:44 - Feb 11 by Ryorry

I struggle a bit with what people have seen over the past year or so to convince them that a swap should be made, honestly. Hladky should have saved the second yesterday in my opinion but it's also a great strike; not a howler for me. Etched into my memory are some painfully soft goals last season too, which more than rival those we've conceded in the Championship. We were ridiculously dominant in L1; perhaps the sheer number of trouble-free clean sheets is enough to think that way.

This season has been difficult for Walton, not least his cup cameos where the onus has been on him to leap out of the blocks. I don't expect anyone to watch the videos below, but inside contain goals conceded that I believe should make people reconsider the watermark by which they judge Hladky's performances. Walton benefitted last season from an understudy who I'm told was appalling in his opening appearances with us (I say that not because I doubt it but because I didn't see them myself); sufficiently so for fans to believe he provided no competition and shouldn't come near the starting league XI ever again. It's a real positive we now have an understudy who people rate so highly.

The above isn't intended as a barrage of dreadful clangers, but a reminder of the goals we've conceded when Hladky wasn't on the pitch, and how they wouldn't stand up well to the same scrutiny. We give up far more chances now and Hladky remains in credit for expected saves across the season. He's conceded two goals more than expected since his purple patch in the first third of the campaign, when he was the best performing keeper in the league (adjudged to be doing 'okay' by many Ipswich fans 😅). I'm not sure if the own goals have counted against him or if they're factored into analysis but either way, for comparison, Walton conceded two goals more than expected across Fulham and Maidstone (Wimbledon didn't contain this analysis).

I'm all for us beginning pre-season with a clean slate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024