Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WBA 2nd goal 23:58 - Feb 10 with 3840 viewsitfcbam

Apart from the poor ball from Edmunsen, am I one of the only ones who think Hladky could have done better with the shot? To me seemed very slow to react to the shot. Was in brilliant form at the start of the season but really feel his form has dipped of late.
WBA 2nd goal on 13:47 - Feb 12 with 364 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

WBA 2nd goal on 12:07 - Feb 12 by pointofblue

I wasn't sure whether he could have done better with their first either. It was directed at his near post.

It was very close range. He can't block the whole goal!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

WBA 2nd goal on 16:49 - Feb 12 with 319 viewsHerbivore

WBA 2nd goal on 13:47 - Feb 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

It was very close range. He can't block the whole goal!

No, but the near post is the forward's shortest and easiest route to goal which is why the goalie usually tries to cover it to force them to try a harder finish. Hladky was largely covering it but moved to his left. If you watch it once it looks like he can't do anything about it, but watch the angle from behind the goal (which was my view live) and he moves and leaves his near post open. Being very picky here but it's happened a few times lately that his positioning hasn't been ideal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

WBA 2nd goal on 16:50 - Feb 12 with 319 viewsHerbivore

WBA 2nd goal on 19:03 - Feb 11 by Eireannach_gorm

Would that mean that we then have to change from playing out from the back. I am not sure that a complete change of style mid season would go well ( playoffs may not be an issue ).

We also played out from the back when Walton was our number 1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

WBA 2nd goal on 17:10 - Feb 12 with 307 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

WBA 2nd goal on 16:49 - Feb 12 by Herbivore

No, but the near post is the forward's shortest and easiest route to goal which is why the goalie usually tries to cover it to force them to try a harder finish. Hladky was largely covering it but moved to his left. If you watch it once it looks like he can't do anything about it, but watch the angle from behind the goal (which was my view live) and he moves and leaves his near post open. Being very picky here but it's happened a few times lately that his positioning hasn't been ideal.

I'm also behind the goal but admittedly had only seen it once. Just watched it again and think you're being a little harsh. The striker looks like he's going to hit it across the goal (which I thought at the time) but then hits it near, which is probably more clever by him than a fault of Hladky. It also goes through Clarke's legs.

When he hits it the striker's virtually on the line of the 6 yard box, so I stand by my point that it's very close and very hard for the keeper, whether the player hits it near post or far. For me the faults are with Clarke changing his mind and position at the start of the move, Wolfy for not getting something on the ball (or player) before he gets that close, and Clarke again for not blocking the shot.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

WBA 2nd goal on 17:19 - Feb 12 with 298 viewsCaptMickMills

Agree
WBA 2nd goal on 18:33 - Feb 12 with 269 viewsVegtablue

WBA 2nd goal on 14:19 - Feb 11 by Nutkins_Return

I honestly think the Hladky 'outstanding' rhetoric is massively overplayed. He's been so much better than expected coming in for Walton and he really is very very good with his feet which for a good spell really helped us.

If you take away the stuff with his feet (which overall you shouldn't) he's a very average goalkeeper at just keeping the ball out the net. Nearly every club he's been at he by as a stint and then gets dropped and I believe it's for this reason. To many shots on target are finding their way in and you can't just ignore that.

Teams are really setting traps on him now which has nullified slightly what we do with ball from him and worse he's giving some real gifts to opposition.

Someone mentioned Sunderland above. He was decent although slightly dubious for their opener. But if their lad hadn't missed a sitter with his woeful pass out it's a different conversation.
[Post edited 11 Feb 18:40]

You continue to claim this but it remains unsupported by Hladky's performances and objective analysis. We're no longer 1st for keeper saves above expectation but we are 5th. That's a lot of keepers that are below him in keeping the ball out of the net and not many above. Perhaps he'll collapse as the season progresses and finish with average Championship figures, but I believe he has it in him to remain in the top handful.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024