Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pep Lijnders 11:29 - Jan 31 with 1054 viewsgordon

If worst came to worst in the summer and we lost McKenna, wonder if Pep Lijnders might be a Mark Ashton sort of target - very up-and-coming in the same vein as McKenna. He wants to manage next, and we might be the sort of project that would attract him - although perhaps he could have a chance of getting one of the big jobs in Netherlands.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/assistants-lijnders-krawietz-and-matos-to-l
Pep Lijnders on 12:27 - Jan 31 with 826 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Hoping we don't have to worry about this for a while, but it will be very interesting to see what direction we take post-McKenna. If it was to happen this summer, then I would also probably look at someone like Lijnders or Bryan Barry-Murphy at City. I also wouldn't be surprised if the owners thought they needed someone more experienced in being the main man, in an attempt to hit the ground running and immediately push for promotion again, presuming we fall short and McKenna takes a jump to a Prem job. I'm not entirely convinced he would leave us this summer in that scenario, but I would be very nervous about it.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Pep Lijnders on 13:00 - Jan 31 with 663 viewsSmithersJones

Pep Lijnders on 12:27 - Jan 31 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Hoping we don't have to worry about this for a while, but it will be very interesting to see what direction we take post-McKenna. If it was to happen this summer, then I would also probably look at someone like Lijnders or Bryan Barry-Murphy at City. I also wouldn't be surprised if the owners thought they needed someone more experienced in being the main man, in an attempt to hit the ground running and immediately push for promotion again, presuming we fall short and McKenna takes a jump to a Prem job. I'm not entirely convinced he would leave us this summer in that scenario, but I would be very nervous about it.

It’s always tempting to say we need someone who can hit the ground running but the owners / Ashton managed to resist that temptation when we were in League 1 and, arguably, the need to get promoted ASAP was greater. I’d hope they would be able to do similar if we’re still on the Championship next season.
Pep Lijnders on 13:39 - Jan 31 with 466 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Pep Lijnders on 13:00 - Jan 31 by SmithersJones

It’s always tempting to say we need someone who can hit the ground running but the owners / Ashton managed to resist that temptation when we were in League 1 and, arguably, the need to get promoted ASAP was greater. I’d hope they would be able to do similar if we’re still on the Championship next season.

I think it's hard to say. You're right that the pressure to succeed was there last season too, but I suppose if we had failed, it would have meant a partial rebuild this season. I think if we fail to go up this season the rebuild required would be more extensive. Having said that, we'd get a much bigger fee for Davis this summer than we would last time. Different challenges, hard to quantify, hard to know which path would be the right one to take. Let's hope we don't have to think about it!

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024