Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. 09:53 - Jan 31 with 2595 viewsBlueBadger

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/afford-private-school-fees-bankrupt-2874929

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 09:55 - Jan 31 with 2123 viewsKeno

If only there were places where you could get your children educated without having to pay those fees

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 09:56 - Jan 31 with 2113 viewsBlueBadger

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 09:55 - Jan 31 by Keno

If only there were places where you could get your children educated without having to pay those fees

I bet they've got a widescreen telly with all the channels. No sympathy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:00 - Jan 31 with 2074 viewsKeno

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 09:56 - Jan 31 by BlueBadger

I bet they've got a widescreen telly with all the channels. No sympathy.

they probably drink a Volvo and eat Waitrose quinoa, but not from the Essential range!!

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:00 - Jan 31 with 2083 viewsSteve_M

Although that particular story does seem to have been written to produce exactly this reaction.

When the Telegraph do it, it's from genuine incomprehension that the people featured have to make sacrifices.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:16 - Jan 31 with 1988 viewsmeekreech

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 09:55 - Jan 31 by Keno

By paying the fees they are guaranteeing the children are going to be properly educated .
They are also being given a chance to advance their lives to become leaders in all aspects of society. The current system of schooling is not designed to help children progress and improve themselves.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:20 - Jan 31 with 1948 viewsBlueBadger

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:16 - Jan 31 by meekreech

By paying the fees they are guaranteeing the children are going to be properly educated .
They are also being given a chance to advance their lives to become leaders in all aspects of society. The current system of schooling is not designed to help children progress and improve themselves.

So, what you're saying is that we should elect someone willing to fund the state education service and pay teachers much better so as to be able to retain the best and most experienced as well as recruit more(due to more attractive salaries and working conditions) so that new can improve teacher to pupil ratios and scrap the league table system and narrow and obsessive focus on grades uber alles as opposed to cutting vital services to fund tax giveaways?
[Post edited 31 Jan 10:23]

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:20 - Jan 31 with 1940 viewsKeno

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:16 - Jan 31 by meekreech

Are they guaranteeing that tho? really??

and are you writing off anyone thats had a state education, thats good to know.

I'll give back all my professional qualifications, take the letters from behind my name, give back the money I earnt from the sale of a business I built up from nothing as obviously my grammar education makes me unworthy

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:24 - Jan 31 with 1923 viewsSteve_M

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:20 - Jan 31 by Keno

I'll give back all my professional qualifications, take the letters from behind my name, give back the money I earnt from the sale of a business I built up from nothing as obviously my grammar education makes me unworthy

I think it's a good point really Keno, I mean one only has to look at the stunning success and judgement shown by the prominent alumni of, say, Eton to realise that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 11:04 - Jan 31 with 1816 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Really? I went to a fairly mediocre school and went on to get the equivalent of two degrees (one actual, one professional equivalent).

But that kind of thinking is why privately educated people are over represented at exec level in many industries as well as politics. Unfortunately the class system is alive and well.
Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 11:51 - Jan 31 with 1701 viewsDJR

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 11:04 - Jan 31 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Really? I went to a fairly mediocre school and went on to get the equivalent of two degrees (one actual, one professional equivalent).

But that kind of thinking is why privately educated people are over represented at exec level in many industries as well as politics. Unfortunately the class system is alive and well.

Agreed. But I think it's more than just education because connections and confidence also come into play. Indeed, I remember Graham Chapman talking about his own lack of self-confidence in comparison to his public school educated Monty Python colleagues.
Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 11:52 - Jan 31 with 1690 viewsBasuco

Meekreech actually said, private education guarantees the best chance of a proper education, it obviously depends on the child and their attitude and ability to learn. But if they are in the best learning environment it helps a lot.
Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 11:57 - Jan 31 with 1643 viewsjaykay

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/29/former-science-minister-quit-cou
its so sad that these people are suffering hardship. us poor people don't have these worries

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 12:24 - Jan 31 with 1568 viewsjayessess

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 11:52 - Jan 31 by Basuco

Meekreech actually said, private education guarantees the best chance of a proper education, it obviously depends on the child and their attitude and ability to learn. But if they are in the best learning environment it helps a lot.

Most current sociology of education research is rather dismissive of the effects of the actual teaching in private schools on intellectual ability. The greatest influences on academic results are (a) parents' cultural capital and educational background (b) parents' wealth. At a societal level the results difference between kids going to state schools and private schools from similar backgrounds isn't that great.

In general what parents are paying for (sometimes without being aware of it) is actually just access to privileged social networks (old boys' clubs!) and separation from state-school kids (snobbery!).

It does tend to have a negative effect on schooling and social cohesion in the wider society though. There are national school systems without a significant private sector, where privileged groups are incentivised to push for greater state school spending and fight for better quality education. These systems also tend towards preventing the formation of closed social elites and towards more mixed, socially-mobile societies!

(Screw taxes, I'd just abolish the sector wholesale).
[Post edited 31 Jan 12:57]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 12:38 - Jan 31 with 1513 viewshoppy

To be fair, the typos you're renowned for would be of a higher quality...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 12:39 - Jan 31 with 1501 viewsIllinoisblue

Sounds like they need to budget better and work harder.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 12:40 - Jan 31 with 1498 viewsPendejo

Down size "your" school fees then...?

If fees go from £42k to £50k find somewhere that's fine from £36k to £42k?
Maybe, as it's a freemarket, they'll be able to shop around for private education.
Maybe the schools will compete for the best pupils American movie stylee

These places being registered as charities is a joke.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 13:03 - Jan 31 with 1404 viewsKeno

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 12:38 - Jan 31 by hoppy

To be fair, the typos you're renowned for would be of a higher quality...

or my dicklicksia would have been treated propertly

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 13:05 - Jan 31 with 1397 viewshoppy

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 13:03 - Jan 31 by Keno

or my dicklicksia would have been treated propertly

I think you've just been counting on the Penny's too much.

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 13:12 - Jan 31 with 1354 viewsKeno

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 13:05 - Jan 31 by hoppy

I think you've just been counting on the Penny's too much.

I wasnt sure if that post would go down very well

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 13:54 - Jan 31 with 1277 viewsBlueBadger

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 11:52 - Jan 31 by Basuco

So, we're back to it being a funding issue then?

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 14:02 - Jan 31 with 1249 viewsBlueBadger

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 12:24 - Jan 31 by jayessess

Most current sociology of education research is rather dismissive of the effects of the actual teaching in private schools on intellectual ability. The greatest influences on academic results are (a) parents' cultural capital and educational background (b) parents' wealth. At a societal level the results difference between kids going to state schools and private schools from similar backgrounds isn't that great.

In general what parents are paying for (sometimes without being aware of it) is actually just access to privileged social networks (old boys' clubs!) and separation from state-school kids (snobbery!).

It does tend to have a negative effect on schooling and social cohesion in the wider society though. There are national school systems without a significant private sector, where privileged groups are incentivised to push for greater state school spending and fight for better quality education. These systems also tend towards preventing the formation of closed social elites and towards more mixed, socially-mobile societies!

(Screw taxes, I'd just abolish the sector wholesale).
[Post edited 31 Jan 12:57]

Teaching mate of mine maintains that the private sector is 'OK for polishing up mediocrity, but the standards aren't all that, really.'
[Post edited 31 Jan 14:15]

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 14:02 - Jan 31 with 1241 viewsBlueBadger

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 10:00 - Jan 31 by Keno

they probably drink a Volvo and eat Waitrose quinoa, but not from the Essential range!!

I imagine that drinking an entire Volvo is quite tyring.

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 14:05 - Jan 31 with 1221 viewshoppy

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 14:02 - Jan 31 by BlueBadger

But your stools would be very solid afterwards... that's one of the benefits of having a Volvo.

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 14:06 - Jan 31 with 1217 viewsKeno

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 14:02 - Jan 31 by BlueBadger

sorry there are 3 V words I get muddled up volvo, vulva and volvic

I wondered why I was asked to leave the garage when I asked a lady salesperson if I have a test drive
[Post edited 31 Jan 14:07]

Thoughts and prayers everyone, thoughts and prayers. on 14:24 - Jan 31 with 1168 viewsjonbull88

No one should be written off ever, however in a school nowadays when class sizes are 30-35 it makes it jolly hard to get help to the “strugglers”. I speak from experience in that my boys are fortunate enough to go to private school, my eldest needs extra help which they are able to provide, with him having a class size of only 14, I feel he would most definitely would have been overlooked in the state system. Ideally we would all love a well funded state system, but how much truly would the cost be to half class sizes, an awful lot I imagine.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024