Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1972 Andes Plane Crash 17:35 - Jan 8 with 1664 viewspedrail

I hope the TWTD community will forgive a shameless plug. There is a three-part documentary on the 1972 Andes Plane Crash that will air Tue, Wed, Thu this week at 10pm on channel 5. I was consultant expert for this (though don't appear), and the production was guided by my book on the subject 'To Play the Game' ( https://johnguiver.org/books ). The story is much in the news this week because of the remarkable film 'The Snow Society' which recently appeared on NetFlix.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 17:50 - Jan 8 with 1596 viewsRIPbobby

Is this the Rugby team which had to eat the deceased to stay alive?
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 17:57 - Jan 8 with 1566 viewspedrail

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 17:50 - Jan 8 by RIPbobby

Is this the Rugby team which had to eat the deceased to stay alive?

Yes
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 18:02 - Jan 8 with 1544 viewsRIPbobby

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 17:57 - Jan 8 by pedrail

Yes

Probably well worth a watch if people are into true stories. From memory they were stuck high up in the Andes before they are found. Incredible story really. Quite possibly the worst sports tour ever.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 18:08 - Jan 8 with 1523 viewsMattinLondon

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 18:02 - Jan 8 by RIPbobby

Probably well worth a watch if people are into true stories. From memory they were stuck high up in the Andes before they are found. Incredible story really. Quite possibly the worst sports tour ever.

Granted it was bad - but the Sunday League team that I used to play for once went for a long weekend in Lowestoft where we played a couple of games. The things I saw there, the people I met…well, it’s the stuff of nightmares.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 18:11 - Jan 8 with 1505 viewsbazza

The film alive is based on that, well
Worth a watch.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 18:12 - Jan 8 with 1504 viewspedrail

It is a fascinating multifaceted story, in terms of the community they came from, the politics in Uruguay at the time, the accident itself, the unprecedented continuation of the search by the parents, the events on the mountain, the return of the survivors to the close knit community where they lived side by side with the families of the dead, etc. The anthropophagy/cannibalism was probably the least interesting aspect of it.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 18:55 - Jan 8 with 1416 viewsRIPbobby

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 18:12 - Jan 8 by pedrail

It is a fascinating multifaceted story, in terms of the community they came from, the politics in Uruguay at the time, the accident itself, the unprecedented continuation of the search by the parents, the events on the mountain, the return of the survivors to the close knit community where they lived side by side with the families of the dead, etc. The anthropophagy/cannibalism was probably the least interesting aspect of it.

Yes I will certainly be watching. Always reminds me of a story friend had of survival in the Caribbean. One of those horrendous storms rolled in for a number of days and he spoke of how he and a German chap basically kept a number of multi nationals alive by keeping the remnants of the storm back. Quite harrowing really. It happened in days when we weren't great friends with Germany. But human spirit kicked in and they were heroes.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 19:07 - Jan 8 with 1378 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I remember watching a film about this in Spanish at school. Never seen such an attentive classroom. The Snow Society was out in some smaller cinemas last week but I missed it so pleased to find out it's on Netflix, but will probably watch this series first - thank you.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Login to get fewer ads

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 19:21 - Jan 8 with 1329 viewspedrail

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 19:07 - Jan 8 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I remember watching a film about this in Spanish at school. Never seen such an attentive classroom. The Snow Society was out in some smaller cinemas last week but I missed it so pleased to find out it's on Netflix, but will probably watch this series first - thank you.

Society of the Snow is well worth watching on the big screen if you get a chance. It is shortlisted for the Oscars in several categories. I had a chance to go to a couple of prescreenings in London in December, and had a long chat with the director. The attention to detail and authenticity is remarkable. I think that 600 hours of footage went into the final editing phase. Although the mountain scenes were filmed in Spain, they are superimposed on extensive footage of the accident site itself, so you are seeing what the survivors saw.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:04 - Jan 8 with 1272 viewsRIPbobby

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 19:21 - Jan 8 by pedrail

Society of the Snow is well worth watching on the big screen if you get a chance. It is shortlisted for the Oscars in several categories. I had a chance to go to a couple of prescreenings in London in December, and had a long chat with the director. The attention to detail and authenticity is remarkable. I think that 600 hours of footage went into the final editing phase. Although the mountain scenes were filmed in Spain, they are superimposed on extensive footage of the accident site itself, so you are seeing what the survivors saw.

Can I ask? Were you involved in the incident itself?
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:24 - Jan 8 with 1236 viewspedrail

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:04 - Jan 8 by RIPbobby

No I was not. I am a couple of years younger than the youngest survivor. 14 of the 16 survivors are still alive today - almost all living close by to each other. I met one of them in a trip to the crash site in 2013, and now know amost everyone in the community (survivors and those who died), and good friends with several of the survivors.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:32 - Jan 8 with 1216 viewsRIPbobby

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:04 - Jan 8 by RIPbobby

Sorry I have just read the original post again.
I'm sorry if I have sounded a little flippant in the post above. I am not very good at writing on these tiny little telephones. I much prefer a nice comfy keyboard to communicate with.

My goodness I cannot begin to imagine what happened all those weeks up in that cold, desolate area. The relationships that were built and potentially cracked must have been mind blowing. Words can hardly describe the emotions that must have occurred up there.

I promise to read that book when I can. I'm still pretty heartbroken from the last book I read... An Inconvenient Death - Miles Goslett. Pretty tough to take in.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:44 - Jan 8 with 1175 viewspedrail

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:32 - Jan 8 by RIPbobby

Sorry I have just read the original post again.
I'm sorry if I have sounded a little flippant in the post above. I am not very good at writing on these tiny little telephones. I much prefer a nice comfy keyboard to communicate with.

My goodness I cannot begin to imagine what happened all those weeks up in that cold, desolate area. The relationships that were built and potentially cracked must have been mind blowing. Words can hardly describe the emotions that must have occurred up there.

I promise to read that book when I can. I'm still pretty heartbroken from the last book I read... An Inconvenient Death - Miles Goslett. Pretty tough to take in.

The Mike Goslett book looks like an essential read. I will add it to my list.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 17:53 - Jan 10 with 938 viewsRIPbobby

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 20:24 - Jan 8 by pedrail

No I was not. I am a couple of years younger than the youngest survivor. 14 of the 16 survivors are still alive today - almost all living close by to each other. I met one of them in a trip to the crash site in 2013, and now know amost everyone in the community (survivors and those who died), and good friends with several of the survivors.

Blimey I watched most of last night's episode. I didn't realise they chartered the flight and they knew each other. Makes all more harrowing. Darts match tonight so I'll have to catch up with it at the weekend.
1972 Andes Plane Crash on 12:01 - Jan 11 with 757 viewspedrail

1972 Andes Plane Crash on 17:53 - Jan 10 by RIPbobby

Blimey I watched most of last night's episode. I didn't realise they chartered the flight and they knew each other. Makes all more harrowing. Darts match tonight so I'll have to catch up with it at the weekend.

In the early sixties - ten years before the accident, 26 of the 40 passengers were going to the same small primary/middle school. They came from a very connected community.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024