Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Turkey? 18:43 - Nov 29 with 2182 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Thoughts?

Booked a 5 star gaf all inclusive for a week at the end of April in Akbuk for a grand. Seemed like an amazing deal. 6 bars, 6 restaurants, 4 pools etc. The area is called Akbuk.

Someone today though told me that there must be some kind of catch to get it that cheap. Is the area a rough part of Turkey or something?

Any help to put my mind at ease would be appreciated.

As it goes, I also realised today that the week spans across the last day of the season. So I will need us to be promoted before then. Albeit it’s for her birthday so I couldn’t change the week but just my luck it’ll be the day we finally make the premier league and I miss out.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Anyone been to Turkey? on 18:59 - Nov 29 with 2108 viewsOldFart71

Only been on a cruise ship to Instanbul. The Blue Mosque and the Grand Bizarre are sights to behold. But then if you are a younger chap you'll probably be more interested in a pool with a drinks included package.
Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:08 - Nov 29 with 2056 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Turkey is about as cheap a break as you will get in Europe. Erdogan set their economy on a disastrous run putting his (now gone) son in law as the Minister of finance as well as other cronies. 4 years ago you’d get about 7 TRY to the pound, now around 36. Add to that inflation peaking at 85pc, and a central bank base rate of 40pc, they’re having a rough time.
Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:11 - Nov 29 with 2037 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Went there many years ago and eating out was really cheap so didn't bother with the all inclusive. I was in Bodrum which is a fair way away but certainly the coast was all fine as far as I was aware when we went.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:14 - Nov 29 with 2014 viewsthe_toff

Turkey is nice, underrated for some of its scenery and beaches. Cheap place to go, drink, eat etc and you can get some great food. Inflation has been rampant over there these last couple of years (70% at one point) so it might not be as cheap as when I went in 2019 but it’ll still be good prices.

Word or warning a 5* in Turkey is probably a 3.5 over here, but it won’t be bad.
Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:26 - Nov 29 with 1943 viewsBiGDonnie

I went to Didim in April and October last year and went to Akbuk a couple of times. I loved it, weather was great both occasions, lovely beaches and locals super friendly. You'll have a great time.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:35 - Nov 29 with 1900 viewsjontysnut

We've been a few times with kids. The last one we went to was absolutely superb. Even the buffet food was top restaurant quality - it wasn't a budget place but well worth it.

The only thing that annoyed me was Brits piling up food and leaving it.
Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:38 - Nov 29 with 1888 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m in Turkey now.

Everything is for peanuts and the locals are nice.

Mind you, all locals are nice when you are spending the dollars.

You can’t go wrong for a cheap break - if that’s what you want. Must admit I prefer other places but if you want to just stay in a resort and simply chill and eat and drink for nothing then it doesn’t matter where in the world you are really.

Personally I would prefer to go to a non resort and hit the proper towns and chit chat with the locals but for a cheap break and a bit of R and R then anywhere in Turkey is fine.

Don’t worry, you will be impressed.

Edit - I just read the post in its entirety. I don’t thing £1k for a week in Turkey is particularly cheap - but maybe I’m living on a different planet.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2023 19:41]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:54 - Nov 29 with 1821 viewsBlueForYou

We went to a small village near Turgutries last year for 12 nights all inclusive. It was fantastic! Many people told us on that trip, “the Turks are the only ones who do all inclusive properly”. They weren’t wrong. Service was impeccable, food really good, & the beer, wine, excellent. Decent people, huge & varied country.
We first went back in the early 90’s, & there was an undercurrent of mafia type culture & you had to watch your back. Not sure if that still happens in more remote areas, but I’ve heard some lovely stories of incredible hospitality from desperately poor people.
Fascinating country.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Turkey? on 20:09 - Nov 29 with 1782 viewsjontysnut

Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:54 - Nov 29 by BlueForYou

We went to a small village near Turgutries last year for 12 nights all inclusive. It was fantastic! Many people told us on that trip, “the Turks are the only ones who do all inclusive properly”. They weren’t wrong. Service was impeccable, food really good, & the beer, wine, excellent. Decent people, huge & varied country.
We first went back in the early 90’s, & there was an undercurrent of mafia type culture & you had to watch your back. Not sure if that still happens in more remote areas, but I’ve heard some lovely stories of incredible hospitality from desperately poor people.
Fascinating country.

We hired a car for a day and were pottering about the sticks. Saw a woman walking with loads of bags and offered her a lift. All done in sign language. Got to her house, she made us come in, brought out the family, tea, endless food, gave us loads of stuff to take with us. All a bit humbling. There's more to the place than fake teeth and bum lifts.
Anyone been to Turkey? on 22:25 - Nov 29 with 1656 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:26 - Nov 29 by BiGDonnie

I went to Didim in April and October last year and went to Akbuk a couple of times. I loved it, weather was great both occasions, lovely beaches and locals super friendly. You'll have a great time.

Didim is actually where we’re staying!
https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/1b/e4/7f/c6/maxeria-blue
[Post edited 29 Nov 2023 22:27]

Anyone been to Turkey? on 22:30 - Nov 29 with 1626 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Anyone been to Turkey? on 19:38 - Nov 29 by Lord_Lucan

I’m in Turkey now.

Everything is for peanuts and the locals are nice.

Mind you, all locals are nice when you are spending the dollars.

You can’t go wrong for a cheap break - if that’s what you want. Must admit I prefer other places but if you want to just stay in a resort and simply chill and eat and drink for nothing then it doesn’t matter where in the world you are really.

Personally I would prefer to go to a non resort and hit the proper towns and chit chat with the locals but for a cheap break and a bit of R and R then anywhere in Turkey is fine.

Don’t worry, you will be impressed.

Edit - I just read the post in its entirety. I don’t thing £1k for a week in Turkey is particularly cheap - but maybe I’m living on a different planet.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2023 19:41]

Honestly Lucan, she would just have been happy to be away for her birthday. It didn’t matter where.

So I thought rather than a weekend somewhere, I’d rather book a whole week in the sun somewhere in Europe all inclusive. I didn’t mind were particularly either (but not France). Found this place and thought it was good value on all counts. That 1k includes flights. I thought it was good value anyway looking at all the other options.

Anyone been to Turkey? on 23:29 - Nov 29 with 1516 viewscressi

Like Oludeniz but next Yr only bed and breakfast hate just sitting at a hotel all inclusive like to go out eat in local restaurants and watch the world go buy. All personal choice plus less kids around lol
Anyone been to Turkey? on 08:49 - Nov 30 with 1340 viewsBiGDonnie

Anyone been to Turkey? on 22:25 - Nov 29 by The_Romford_Blue

Didim is actually where we’re staying!
https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/1b/e4/7f/c6/maxeria-blue
[Post edited 29 Nov 2023 22:27]

Maxeria Blue! I've stayed there, twice. Lovely hotel, very clean, foods decent and drinks are very good for an all inclusive place. The swimming pool is absolutely freezing though. Lovely beach and the weather was beaut when I went last October.

They have a sports bar where people bring laptops in to stream football and hook it up to the big screen so take yours.

Not much to do in Didim so head to Akbuk for restaurants and shopping.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Anyone been to Turkey? on 14:52 - Nov 30 with 1250 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Anyone been to Turkey? on 08:49 - Nov 30 by BiGDonnie

Maxeria Blue! I've stayed there, twice. Lovely hotel, very clean, foods decent and drinks are very good for an all inclusive place. The swimming pool is absolutely freezing though. Lovely beach and the weather was beaut when I went last October.

They have a sports bar where people bring laptops in to stream football and hook it up to the big screen so take yours.

Not much to do in Didim so head to Akbuk for restaurants and shopping.

Wow I didn’t imagine anyone to have been to that exact hotel! Amazing.

When you say the drinks are very good, do you mean the variety? As seeing as they’re all free now, we’re likely to be getting hammered every night. I feel like random cocktails on the beach of an afternoon will be right up her street.

I saw the sports bar actually and thought that might be my way of watching the champions elect in our last match of the season against Huddersfield. How far roughly is Akbuk? Are the taxis around cheap or is walkable?

Anyone been to Turkey? on 17:58 - Nov 30 with 1141 viewswitchdoctor

Anyone been to Turkey? on 23:29 - Nov 29 by cressi

Like Oludeniz but next Yr only bed and breakfast hate just sitting at a hotel all inclusive like to go out eat in local restaurants and watch the world go buy. All personal choice plus less kids around lol

go there every year..been getting on for 20 times and have seen huge changes..we always do A I but that doesn’t stop us getting out and about either…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024