Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dr Who... 09:55 - Nov 23 with 1205 viewsdocklandsblue

Full disclosure, I didn't manage to sneak any Town references in this time, but if you enjoyed the Rise and Fall of Britpop, you might also like these Dr Who Documentaries, which follow a similar pattern but cramming 60 years in to 114 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001rrmp

Dr Who... on 19:30 - Nov 23 with 1046 viewsBluespeed225

I've been binging the Pertwee years on iplayer. He was 'my' Doctor, 70-74, a foppish dandy with a vintage car and a mini shirted assistant! Also The Tardis had broken down so he was working for UNIT here on Earth which made them more realistic to me as an 8 year old!
Dr Who... on 22:01 - Nov 23 with 991 viewsGlasgowBlue

Dr Who... on 19:30 - Nov 23 by Bluespeed225

I've been binging the Pertwee years on iplayer. He was 'my' Doctor, 70-74, a foppish dandy with a vintage car and a mini shirted assistant! Also The Tardis had broken down so he was working for UNIT here on Earth which made them more realistic to me as an 8 year old!

I'm of the same vintage, and Pertwee was always my Doctor. But I've been watching selected storylines from the start up[ until now and I really didn't appreciate how bloody brilliant Tom Baker was. Probably a little ahead of his time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Dr Who... on 08:03 - Nov 24 with 893 viewsdocklandsblue

Dr Who... on 22:01 - Nov 23 by GlasgowBlue

I'm of the same vintage, and Pertwee was always my Doctor. But I've been watching selected storylines from the start up[ until now and I really didn't appreciate how bloody brilliant Tom Baker was. Probably a little ahead of his time.

Pertwee and McCoy were my favourites growing up. I was a fan just in time for the cancellation, but luckily my brother was an obsessive who knew fans who could get hooky copies of old eps 🙌
I’ve been rewatching a lot of Pertwee and McCoy and really surprised by how well it holds up. The Davison era on the other hand is an utter horror show with just occasional moments (Earthshock, Resurrection of the Daleks).

If you enjoyed the Pertwee era (and Troughton), there’s a really good audiobook called Who and Me, by the Producer Barry Letts that I would love to have included more info from. Loads of amazing stories of Pertwee nicking Who props to open fetes and chase “dolly birds” etc.
Dr Who... on 09:42 - Nov 24 with 835 viewsvilanovablue

Dr Who... on 08:03 - Nov 24 by docklandsblue

Pertwee and McCoy were my favourites growing up. I was a fan just in time for the cancellation, but luckily my brother was an obsessive who knew fans who could get hooky copies of old eps 🙌
I’ve been rewatching a lot of Pertwee and McCoy and really surprised by how well it holds up. The Davison era on the other hand is an utter horror show with just occasional moments (Earthshock, Resurrection of the Daleks).

If you enjoyed the Pertwee era (and Troughton), there’s a really good audiobook called Who and Me, by the Producer Barry Letts that I would love to have included more info from. Loads of amazing stories of Pertwee nicking Who props to open fetes and chase “dolly birds” etc.

If anyone's interested there is a colourised version of the first appearance of the daleks now iPlayer, it was on BBC4 last night, a thoroughly entertaining watch.
Dr Who... on 12:46 - Nov 24 with 738 viewsstonojnr

Dr Who... on 09:42 - Nov 24 by vilanovablue

If anyone's interested there is a colourised version of the first appearance of the daleks now iPlayer, it was on BBC4 last night, a thoroughly entertaining watch.

If they'd just colourised it I'd have been ok with it, but they had to meddle with some of the effects, sound fx ( for instance the cloister bell wasn't used till the end of the Tom Baker era and was used only for great emergencies as a warning, not a pretend malfunction of the console or general alarm) and the music score as well as edit it down and they weren't good at editing.

Apart from that it was classic Who.
Dr Who... on 12:53 - Nov 24 with 684 viewsstonojnr

Dr Who... on 08:03 - Nov 24 by docklandsblue

You liked the McCoy era, with Silver Nemesis, and the Happiness Patrol with Bertie Bassett, sorry the Kandyman over Davison ??

Kinda, Caves of Androzani, Mawdryn Undead as well as Frontios, Five Doctors and Earthshock/Resurrection of the Daleks...no pleasing some people :)
Dr Who... on 13:08 - Nov 24 with 672 viewsdocklandsblue

Dr Who... on 12:53 - Nov 24 by stonojnr

You liked the McCoy era, with Silver Nemesis, and the Happiness Patrol with Bertie Bassett, sorry the Kandyman over Davison ??

Kinda, Caves of Androzani, Mawdryn Undead as well as Frontios, Five Doctors and Earthshock/Resurrection of the Daleks...no pleasing some people :)

Yep, Happiness Patrol actually stands up better than I'd remembered, clunky FX, but an Anti Thatcher, Anti Clause 28 serial on kids TV is something I can get behind, Silver Nemesis mocks the special relationship and predicts the re-emergence of the far right it an enjoyable romp (still no idea who Courtney Pine's agent had something over)... Meanwhile Feneric and Remembrance of the Daleks are both all time classics IMO.

For balance Caves and Earthshock great though they are, are pretty much the same story twice, but then Caves has the minus point of yet another baddie who has been badly disfigured in a half arsed Phantom of the Opera style (see also Black Orchid et al)... As much as I love the 5 Drs, you've conveniently ignored Timeflight, Snakedance and The Kings Demon which are all much worse than any McCoy era story.

We may have to agree to disagree I suspect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024