Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. 07:23 - Sep 29 with 7463 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/29/ed-sheeran-autumn-variations-revie

Successful pop music is often about immediacy and simplicity, and Sheeran’s safe, artless stream-of-consciousness confections are evidently what the people want. The fact is that he is now an era-defining musician, and has earned his place alongside Bowie, Elton, George Michael, Morrissey and Elvis Costello in the pantheon of great British male solo artists. The difference between Sheeran and the others will be glaringly obvious to some, but completely irrelevant to others. For the former, Autumn Variations will be yet another occasion to despair at the colossal popularity of such proudly unimaginative, staunchly unoriginal and intellectually bereft music. Everyone else? Well, they’ll be far too busy just pressing repeat.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:22 - Oct 1 with 908 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:15 - Oct 1 by DJR

The Dooleys?

Seriously though, isn't it the nature of music that many people tend to have strong opinions one way or another on particular artists, and may well express their views in strong terms?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 9:16]

My point is Herbs almost angrily - and certainly joylessly - puts down everything that's popular. Like he's better than everything.

With regards to this thread, no-one has been as strong as Herbs. And it's always "it is" rather than "it's my opinion" (until he backtracks a bit).

I've never heard of the Dooleys.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:24 - Oct 1 with 900 viewsWeWereZombies

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:22 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

My point is Herbs almost angrily - and certainly joylessly - puts down everything that's popular. Like he's better than everything.

With regards to this thread, no-one has been as strong as Herbs. And it's always "it is" rather than "it's my opinion" (until he backtracks a bit).

Here, just for you (and Herbs):

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:27 - Oct 1 with 895 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:55 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

Once again, this is a thread about Ed Sheeran's music, indeed the OP is about a review that is rather scathing of Ed Sheeran's music. So why do you have such a problem with someone sharing their opinion of Ed Sheeran's music on a thread that's about Ed Sheeran's music? You are more than welcome to disagree with my opinion but that doesn't seem to be enough for you, you seem to be suggesting I'm not entitled to offer my opinion.

Edit - Nice edit, Dollers. A lot of projecting going on I feel. And something about potatoes and Haribo.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 9:17]

No projecting at all.

Projecting is "When someone unconsciously attributes their thoughts, feelings, or behaviours to another person," but there is literally no evidence of my thoughts, feelings or behaviours being remotely close to yours.

It's just another of your attributes actually - withering put downs.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:30 - Oct 1 with 888 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:24 - Oct 1 by WeWereZombies

Here, just for you (and Herbs):

I've heard worse than that!

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:47 - Oct 1 with 868 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:27 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

No projecting at all.

Projecting is "When someone unconsciously attributes their thoughts, feelings, or behaviours to another person," but there is literally no evidence of my thoughts, feelings or behaviours being remotely close to yours.

It's just another of your attributes actually - withering put downs.

I've asked you before, I'll ask you again, what music do you like Herbs?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:50 - Oct 1 with 858 viewsDJR

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:22 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

You've certainly missed out!
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 10:23 - Oct 1 with 824 viewsArnieM

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:27 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

I haven't said people who listen to turgid dross are wrong.

No, you just imply it.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 10:54 - Oct 1 with 792 viewsWhos_blue

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 09:15 - Oct 1 by DJR

The Dooleys?

Seriously though, isn't it the nature of music that many people tend to have strong opinions one way or another on particular artists, and may well express their views in strong terms?
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 9:16]

Hey! Don't drag the Dooleys into this!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Login to get fewer ads

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 11:02 - Oct 1 with 777 viewsthatbdude

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 10:54 - Oct 1 by Whos_blue

Hey! Don't drag the Dooleys into this!

Here's a fact about the Dooleys - their last album was released exclusively in Japan

Poll: Who going down?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 11:18 - Oct 1 with 777 viewsBlueBadger

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:40 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

You're not, no. But you don't need to be cool to consider Es Sheeran's music to be dross.

Somehow, this is a more tragic hill for Dollars to choose to die on than 'ah, Russell Brand is alright, actually'.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 11:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 11:26 - Oct 1 with 756 viewsWhos_blue

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 08:51 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's more the assertion that anything is "turgid dross". You could just say "It's not my cup of tea" but you have to go in hard with your sneering, withering condemnation (and you have to share it).

The subtext is, of course, "Millions of people love it but I can see it for what it really is because I am brilliant and they are stupid. And I need to tell people so that they can see how brilliant and cool I am. I won't just do this about Ed Sheeran but anything that is remotely popular. In many ways I'm a higher being."

To be honest, that's what I get from most of your joyless posting style.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 8:56]

I genuinely have no horse in this race and do wish posters would try to get along better, but as retorts go, this one did make me chuckle.
I don't want to get involved in the war of words though and am going back to my best of the Dooleys LP.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 11:42 - Oct 1 with 745 viewsjacobnikons

Thanks for the support and sponsoring the shirt Ed but your music sucks.
Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 13:13 - Oct 1 with 695 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well, let's hope the shirt is better than the album. on 11:18 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

Somehow, this is a more tragic hill for Dollars to choose to die on than 'ah, Russell Brand is alright, actually'.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 11:19]

I've already said I'm not a fan of Ed Sheeran's music, I'm making a wider point. And I haven't remotely said "ah, Russell Brand is alright, actually" either.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024