Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flagging support 15:03 - Sep 10 with 5822 viewsHARRY10

"The sight of thousands of European Union flags at the Last Night of the Proms has prompted outrage from Brexiters. Those waving the EU flag in the Royal Albert Hall appeared to outnumber those waving the union flag at the event"

Everything today is woke, they want to cancel everything, bleat the righties

or

“BBC must investigate how so many EU flags were waved & on display at The Last Night of the Proms. Disgraceful & misguided BBC messing up a British tradition"

Only in the crazed, paranoid mind of the rightie would you imagine that the BBC was responsible for deciding who waves what flags. The Last Night has always seen a plethora of non Union Jacks on display. So why now the blub Could it be that the bigots don't want it seen they are now in the minority ? Much as the diminutive Sunak has been at the G20 in India.

What part will the now isolated UK play in the Partnership for Global Infrastructure Investment ?

Where is the much talked about UK/India trade deal ? Supposedly agreed and signed last October. Shunted to one side, as with the 'bigly' UK/US deal supposed to be signed the day after the UK formally left the EU ?

Where once the UK sat at the top table, and would have had a say in the above agreement, it is now having to accept terms dictated to it by third world countries. Out of 72 trade deals since brexit. 69 have been rollovers of previous EU deals. Of the other 3

Look away now brexiters -
https://www.agriland.co.uk/farming-news/damaging-australia-and-new-zealand-free-
Flagging support on 16:56 - Sep 11 with 1103 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Flagging support on 13:27 - Sep 11 by blueasfook

You mean you had genuine concerns about the EU and aren't just a thick racist?

According to the remain camp, that's the only reason Brits voted to leave

Not at all.

The actual phrase is not all Brexiteers are racist xenophobes but all racist xenophobes are Brexiteers.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Flagging support on 19:09 - Sep 11 with 1018 viewsHARRY10

Flagging support on 15:27 - Sep 11 by Ryorry

So folk aving EU flags and joining in with the fun are 'protesting' while those whining to the media and complaining about those folk are not protesting

I must be careful next goal Town score at PR. My celebrating will be construed is protesting. Odd folk, these cranks

Meanwhile.....

" Tories heading for even bigger election wipeout, says shock new poll"

https://www.independent.co.uk/?CMP=ILC-refresh

This is what is must have been like in Northern Europe as the Allied liberation approached. The UK will again rejoin the free world, no longer shut off like some isolated, inward looking failing state.

A place where it is not safe for kids to swim in the river or seas, where their safety cannot be guaranteed at school, NHS dentists are almost non existent, hundreds of thousands of kids rely upon food banks, and others are living in squalid mould ridden squalor.

One of the noticable things in 1944 was the huge number of Union Jacks and Stars and Stripes flown once their oppressors were ejected.
Flagging support on 22:34 - Sep 11 with 946 viewsDJR

Flagging support on 15:25 - Sep 11 by chicoazul

“Everyone who voted for Brexit was thick or duped apart from you fam”

That wasn't the point I was making at all. I was just surprised about someone who voted for Brexit being in favour of the Council of Europe and by implication the European Convention on Human Rights. It wasn't something I'd heard argued before on Brexit, and I doubted whether there were many who voted for Brexit who had taken a similar line.

As it is, I have never on TWTD (or elsewhere) called people thick for voting for Brexit. Indeed, despite voting Remain, I fully accepted Brexit and never supported a second referendum because that seemed to me undemocratic.

Incidentally, these days, according to Wikipedia, the Council of Europe has been described as having no meaningful purpose. And Macron's recent pan-European summit appeared to completely side line the Council of Europe
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 8:53]
Flagging support on 02:16 - Sep 12 with 897 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Flagging support on 13:35 - Sep 11 by TractorBrew

This is genuinely one of the few reasons I would have voted leave, and is genuinely the first time I have seen some one else put it into writing.

Problem is, a lot of leave voters, and I am including family members in this, didn't have the brain capacity to understand this level of reasoning and just grunt "migrants"

The problem is that plenty of Leave supporting politicians offered reasoned and nuanced arguments for Brexit in which they said various things wouldn't happen, which have happened.

Once the Referendum was very narrowly won by Leave the tune changed to "Brexit means Brexit" and we were told that we would be leaving many important European Institutions (notably in Science and Higher Education).

The ECHR is in the sights of the Right Wing of the Tory Party, even though many Leave campaigners completely denied that this could possibly happen during the Referendum.

It comes down to how much you trust the likes of Braverman, Patel and Rees-Mogg.

I don't, and always saw the EU as one of the guarantors of my rights. That's one of the main reasons that I voted Remain.
Flagging support on 08:47 - Sep 12 with 823 viewsLeaky

I did hear from someone who attended, EU flags were handed out free. Not sure if this is true or not, seems weird if true.
Flagging support on 09:13 - Sep 12 with 786 viewsDJR

Flagging support on 08:47 - Sep 12 by Leaky

I did hear from someone who attended, EU flags were handed out free. Not sure if this is true or not, seems weird if true.

I thought that too, but I see the group behind it, Thank EU for the Music, has done the same at previous performances of the Last Night of the Proms, and from recollection I remember seeing lots of EU flags after Brexit and before the pandemic suspended the event for a few years. But I don't recall it getting quite the same backlash.

[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 9:16]
Flagging support on 09:30 - Sep 12 with 762 viewsDarth_Koont

Flagging support on 09:13 - Sep 12 by DJR

I thought that too, but I see the group behind it, Thank EU for the Music, has done the same at previous performances of the Last Night of the Proms, and from recollection I remember seeing lots of EU flags after Brexit and before the pandemic suspended the event for a few years. But I don't recall it getting quite the same backlash.

The right wing in the UK has little else to talk about or offer.

Their remaining strength is in ignoring the reality of their failures and selling wonky narratives to the largely ignorant.

Pronouns: He/Him

Flagging support on 10:24 - Sep 12 with 719 viewschicoazul

Flagging support on 08:47 - Sep 12 by Leaky

Seems weird you would know someone who went to the Proms.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Flagging support on 10:54 - Sep 12 with 674 viewsRyorry

Flagging support on 10:24 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

Seems weird anyone would write that, but then it’s you, so p’raps not.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Flagging support on 11:13 - Sep 12 with 642 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Flagging support on 09:13 - Sep 12 by DJR

Brexit has been catastrophic for musicians. Symphony orchestras rely on being able to sub in players of high enough standard, who the conductor knows and trusts, at short notice. Previously they could draw on a Europe wide talent pool.

The next tier down from the Proms, large regional concert halls, and certainly the next level below that, Corn Exchanges, Assembly Halls and Town theatres, used to host touring chamber orchestras from all over Europe. The tax situation was simpler. The work permit situation was covered by free movement. The import and export of instruments was straightforward.

Now musicians have to fill in a Carnet detailing every piece of equipment. I read a post by a touring musician who had to fill one in for his entire drum kit. Every case, stand, cymbal, drum, mic and lead.

An error meant that he was facing a tax bill for having sold his drums abroad. He didn't. Just a customs official didn't sign his carnet off correctly. Months later he is still trying to sort it out.

So, yes, Thank EU for the Music have a number of reasons to make their case, and classical music audiences generally understand the problems Brexit has caused for professional musicians.
Flagging support on 13:13 - Sep 12 with 603 viewsLeaky

Flagging support on 10:24 - Sep 12 by chicoazul

He's a Musician, we use the same pub. Before anyone askes I don't know which he voted in 2016, which way he votes in elections, he is a Spur's supporter though.
Flagging support on 13:46 - Sep 12 with 575 viewsHARRY10

Not just professional musicians. Over the summer numerous street performers used to play across Norerhern Eurooe. . I did actually go across three times way back, with two different groups.

Then it was a case of chuck every in the back of a van and head off, with as much hassle as going to Aberdeen. The pandemic almost completely ended this, bookings ceased. Butthis summer they have returned to that low - after a pick up in 2022.

For many, that arre often just tge one, two or three 'man' act the etra costs and form filling means that it is not worth the cost. the budget tends to be around £1000, but that is against nothing if you are held up and so are not there in time for the weekend.

Stories of performers held up at customs whuke they find someone to check your equipment. Everything out of the van, and legendary, and perhaps a bit hearsay in some cases. But the delay definitely happnes. I've been told via Equuty and a couple of agaents that while plenty over here will try to get through all the hurdsles, foreign agents don't want the risk.

The BIG LIE came from years of certain parts of the UK media portraying the EU as some authotterian bloc as with the USSR, which acted as a dominerring entity stopping the UK from doing thinks.

That could not be further from the truth, and only some ridicyulous virew that was held by brainwashing thickos in the UK. The idea of the EU was in part to ensure free trade, remove so many checks. To do so countries agreed to harmonious so much so there was no need for checks between countris. Emminently sensible. However once pit through the prism of ignorance and bigotry that was the MAail, Express etc numpties were fed a diet of the EU banning hedgehog flavoured bananas and Xmas being banned.

So now, out of the EU, we are lumbered with all the costs, regulation, checks, delays etc that still face other EU countries. To counter this the BIG LIE rold thickos that 'they need us more than we need them'. Apparently they don't.

Fishermen who told there would be an abundance of fish have found they cannot sell their catch to the EU, farmers who were told it would be a golden age now find there are not enough staff and exports from AUS/NZ will slowly make their meat unprofitable.

Still at least there is the trade deal with India signed, and the one with the US is now in force for over two years - so at least no lies there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024