Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Insurance Experts. 22:16 - Sep 6 with 1908 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Ten weeks ago, i had to say goodbye to my wonderful dog.
The vet's were wonderful and a couple of days later filled in the relevant claim forms on my behalf as i couldn't face doing it.
Fast forward and after some phone calls to the insurance company trying to chase up my claim, they are using every delaying tactic to avoid sorting it out.
I got quite animated on yesterdays call and just shy of calling them robbing barstewards have just received an e-mail saying that they are writing to the vet for more information.
Is it worth contacting the Financial Ombudsman or the Financial Conduct Authority in the event of an unsatisfactory outcome or is there any other body i can contact?
Cheers.
A very p1ssed off poster.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Insurance Experts. on 23:18 - Sep 6 with 1763 viewsFixed_It

They ALWAYS say they are contacting the vet for more information. In my experience they will pay up, but it is SO frustrating.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Insurance Experts. on 23:34 - Sep 6 with 1737 viewsBangor31

without knowing all the ins and outs.

Insurance act 2015 section 13A means that if you come under any financial loss / hardship due to slow payment of a claim then the insurer becomes liable for this too. It really all depends whether they are acting reasonably and in a reasonable time frame.

i would have felt that 2 months is plenty of time to ask the vet for information and conclude whether this is or is not covered under your policy but then this type of insurance is not my area

Usually mentioning the insurance act gets their bum in gear
Insurance Experts. on 23:56 - Sep 6 with 1710 viewsredrickstuhaart

Insurance Experts. on 23:34 - Sep 6 by Bangor31

without knowing all the ins and outs.

Insurance act 2015 section 13A means that if you come under any financial loss / hardship due to slow payment of a claim then the insurer becomes liable for this too. It really all depends whether they are acting reasonably and in a reasonable time frame.

i would have felt that 2 months is plenty of time to ask the vet for information and conclude whether this is or is not covered under your policy but then this type of insurance is not my area

Usually mentioning the insurance act gets their bum in gear

Something to bear in mind is that insurers lose money if they waste resources on pointless delay and obfuscation. Most insurers are obsessed with early commercial settlements wherever possible.

Don't put down to conspiracy, what can be explained by human being being a bit slow and rubbish.

But yes- given them a deadline and a threat to go to the ombudsman if they are really lagging behind.
Insurance Experts. on 07:49 - Sep 7 with 1508 viewsHerbivore

Really sorry to hear about your dog, buddy. Awful losing a beloved pet.

Insurance is an absolute swindle. I got side swiped by a lorry about 6 years ago, they were turning left at a junction where I was going straight on and they just drove off. I got the number plate, my partner was in the car as a witness, it was at a junction with traffic cameras. Took them nearly 2 years to resolve the claim satisfactorily. About a year in they asked me for the number plate again and tried telling me that the number plate wasn't for a lorry, I told them I'd already run the plate myself so I know that to not be true. They had basically done fook all for a year. They ended up paying me some compo because of how inept they'd been but I was quite shocked at just how useless they were. The first year and a half consisted of me sending them exactly the same information about six times and them then doing nothing with it.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2023 7:52]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Insurance Experts. on 08:58 - Sep 7 with 1379 viewsDaninthecampo

The biggest issue with pet insurance is how they view pre existing conditions and the cause of death, most companies wil not pay for pre existing so they have to check, could this be relevant for your claim?
My wife worked at a vets and had this issue all the time
Insurance Experts. on 09:06 - Sep 7 with 1368 viewsblueasfook

Sorry you lost your little buddy. Hope you get your claim sorted soon. Won't help to hear but I have been waiting for a motor insurance claim to be settled for a year now. I hate all insurance companies. Except Aviva funny enough. Years ago I had some items taken in a burglary and they were great. They just wanted a crime number from the cops and within a couple of days I had a cheque to cover the goods that had been stolen.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Insurance Experts. on 09:20 - Sep 7 with 1338 viewsKeno

That's very poor service from the Insurer, some who quite frankly deserve a special place in hell.

At this stage I would tell them you arent happy, emotionally distresses etc and unless they sort this with 21 days will take it further. The issue you have is once the Ombudsman in involved annoyingly it may take longer.

Keno's tip of the day - find an email address.contact number for the CEO/MDs office contact them saying how upset you are, you thought this would be sorted quickly etc etc and you reaching out in the hope they can resolve it before you go further

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Insurance Experts. on 21:08 - Sep 7 with 1182 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Thank you for the replies. A few things there that I’m sure will come in very useful going forward.
Have been credited £30 as a goodwill gesture for the long delay but having read recent reviews, it would appear that the company in question has a reputation for being as awkward as and many claims still haven’t been resolved after several months or dismissed out of hand for no apparent plausible reason.
Will keep the pressure on them though and will contact the relevant authorities if not satisfied with the outcome.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Login to get fewer ads

Insurance Experts. on 21:53 - Sep 7 with 1132 viewsIPSWICHINIO

Insurance Experts. on 21:08 - Sep 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

Thank you for the replies. A few things there that I’m sure will come in very useful going forward.
Have been credited £30 as a goodwill gesture for the long delay but having read recent reviews, it would appear that the company in question has a reputation for being as awkward as and many claims still haven’t been resolved after several months or dismissed out of hand for no apparent plausible reason.
Will keep the pressure on them though and will contact the relevant authorities if not satisfied with the outcome.

If it's insurance, you can escalate it with the Financial Ombudsman, but you will first need to raise an official complaint with the insurer who will then have up to 8 weeks to provide you with a resolution. If you don't agree with their resolution (compensation, for example), you need to ask for a 'final resolutions letter' which will allow you to escalate with the Ombudsman.
The escalations process can take quite some time though, looking at 6-8 months. Might be worth telling the insurer that you're planning to escalate to Ombudsman unless they get their act together; each case escalated to the Ombudsman costs the insurer £750.00.
Insurance Experts. on 21:58 - Sep 7 with 1114 viewsIPSWICHINIO

Insurance Experts. on 21:53 - Sep 7 by IPSWICHINIO

If it's insurance, you can escalate it with the Financial Ombudsman, but you will first need to raise an official complaint with the insurer who will then have up to 8 weeks to provide you with a resolution. If you don't agree with their resolution (compensation, for example), you need to ask for a 'final resolutions letter' which will allow you to escalate with the Ombudsman.
The escalations process can take quite some time though, looking at 6-8 months. Might be worth telling the insurer that you're planning to escalate to Ombudsman unless they get their act together; each case escalated to the Ombudsman costs the insurer £750.00.

And like others have mentioned, may well be worth contacting the MD/CEO. At my previous job, we had an 'exec' Complaints team, basically anyone who emailed the CEO/MD would have their complaint investigated by that team within 24 hours (as opposed to the 12 days it took for 'normal' complaints). They were told to treat the complaints the exact same way as the others, but in reality the complaints were dealt with a lot faster and a lot more compensation was awarded.
Insurance Experts. on 22:08 - Sep 7 with 1097 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Insurance Experts. on 21:53 - Sep 7 by IPSWICHINIO

Thanks for the replies.
Much appreciated.

Insurance Experts. on 07:48 - Sep 8 with 972 viewsElephantintheRoom

You don’t need an insurance expert - you need a veterinary expert. It’s an unfortunate reality that dog’s tend to die - and their lifespan varies hugely depending on size and breed. Part of this is underlying conditions - many breeds are essentially bred for deformity.

You make no note of how/why your dog passed away - but I suspect the insurers are looking for underlying or previous conditions - hence contacting the vet.

The veterinary ‘industry’ and by implication, pet insurance, are currently being investigzted for excessive profiteering which might also be a reason the insurance company dotting i’s and t’s. It’s also been holiday time. They may be short staffed

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Insurance Experts. on 07:53 - Sep 8 with 960 viewsHerbivore

Insurance Experts. on 07:48 - Sep 8 by ElephantintheRoom

You don’t need an insurance expert - you need a veterinary expert. It’s an unfortunate reality that dog’s tend to die - and their lifespan varies hugely depending on size and breed. Part of this is underlying conditions - many breeds are essentially bred for deformity.

You make no note of how/why your dog passed away - but I suspect the insurers are looking for underlying or previous conditions - hence contacting the vet.

The veterinary ‘industry’ and by implication, pet insurance, are currently being investigzted for excessive profiteering which might also be a reason the insurance company dotting i’s and t’s. It’s also been holiday time. They may be short staffed

Plus insurance companies are either incompetent or shysters in most cases (sometimes both).

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Insurance Experts. on 08:18 - Sep 8 with 940 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Insurance Experts. on 07:48 - Sep 8 by ElephantintheRoom

She was a golden retriever.
The reasons for her leaving us had nothing to do with any pre existing conditions, but I’m sure the insurance company will try to find something tenuous to link it with.

Insurance Experts. on 10:20 - Sep 8 with 883 viewsElephantintheRoom

Insurance Experts. on 08:18 - Sep 8 by StochesStotasBlewe

She was a golden retriever.
The reasons for her leaving us had nothing to do with any pre existing conditions, but I’m sure the insurance company will try to find something tenuous to link it with.

Sorry for your loss. An upsetting time without insurance problems.

No idea what your insurance covers but retrievers are predisposed to lymphoma and other cancers which no sensible insurer would cover without an eye-watering premium. If that’s an issue the insurer might want details of where you got her from - and treatment history. They get ear problems and skin problems too - which might conceivably be an issue depending on the cause of your pet’s demise.

It’s an unfortunate fact that pet insurance is hugely profitable and the veterinary ‘profession’ is part of the problem in that huge increases in income from insurance claims have led to veterinary practices being bought up by national chains - the age of local James Herriots is long gone.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024