Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eddie Izzard 08:51 - Aug 5 with 3497 viewsDJR

Interesting to see Eddie Izzard is planning to put herself forward as a candidate in Brighton Pavilion.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/aug/04/eddie-izzard-plan-labour-candida

Given that Labour have recently back-tracked on trans rights (and so put themselves at variance with Scottish Labour and Theresa May), it will be interesting to see if they attempt to prevent Izzard from being on the shortlist (as she would surely win the selection) on the basis that they just want to keep their head down when it comes to this area.

This passage from the article suggests they will but we shall see.

A senior Labour figure noted their admiration for Izzard in her determination to become a Labour MP, and that of journalist Paul Mason, who also initially made a bid for Sheffield Central. But they suggested their “high profiles” would be of better use “campaigning with the Labour party outside of Westminster”. They said: “Izzard has such a status, would she have the time to campaign for all of her constituents?”
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 9:56]
Eddie Izzard on 09:02 - Aug 5 with 2848 viewsChurchman

Classic Eddie Izzard. Hilarious:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=youtube+death+star+canteen&source=hp&e

Back to the point, I suspect (with no real evidence) Izzard would make rather a good MP. Gender, race, profile etc etc shouldn’t come into it. It didn’t when Glenda Jackson was an MP.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 9:03]
Eddie Izzard on 09:14 - Aug 5 with 2791 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 09:02 - Aug 5 by Churchman

Classic Eddie Izzard. Hilarious:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=youtube+death+star+canteen&source=hp&e

Back to the point, I suspect (with no real evidence) Izzard would make rather a good MP. Gender, race, profile etc etc shouldn’t come into it. It didn’t when Glenda Jackson was an MP.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 9:03]

I agree, and the suggestion that she wouldn't have the time to campaign for her constituents seems rather disingenuous. Indeed, I can't remember anyone making the same claim when Gyles Brandreth became an MP.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 9:15]
Eddie Izzard on 09:16 - Aug 5 with 2773 viewsKeno

Eddie Izzard on 09:14 - Aug 5 by DJR

I agree, and the suggestion that she wouldn't have the time to campaign for her constituents seems rather disingenuous. Indeed, I can't remember anyone making the same claim when Gyles Brandreth became an MP.

well when you say "the suggestion that she wouldn't have the time to campaign for her constituents" I'm sure people 'represented' by Nadine Dorries would have a comment or two

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Eddie Izzard on 09:21 - Aug 5 with 2755 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 09:16 - Aug 5 by Keno

well when you say "the suggestion that she wouldn't have the time to campaign for her constituents" I'm sure people 'represented' by Nadine Dorries would have a comment or two

Maybe the real way to change attitudes, if she becomes an MP, is to follow Dorries' example and get a second job on GB News.
Eddie Izzard on 09:24 - Aug 5 with 2742 viewsBasuco

Considering that Nadine Dorries has not attended Parliament for over a year and not had a constituency surgery for over three years, not sure this is a vaguely relevant comment and shows how the Conservative led press are running scared of her.
Eddie Izzard on 09:32 - Aug 5 with 2714 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Eddie Izzard on 09:21 - Aug 5 by DJR

Maybe the real way to change attitudes, if she becomes an MP, is to follow Dorries' example and get a second job on GB News.

I rather feel that would require a change in GB News' attitude first

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Eddie Izzard on 09:39 - Aug 5 with 2683 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 09:32 - Aug 5 by Cheltenham_Blue

I rather feel that would require a change in GB News' attitude first

My comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek.
Eddie Izzard on 09:51 - Aug 5 with 2621 viewsPinewoodblue

Eddie Izzard on 09:14 - Aug 5 by DJR

Think they are going too far with their efforts not to upset any potential voters. Becoming a little embarrassing.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Eddie Izzard on 09:53 - Aug 5 with 2590 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Make your mind up is it ‘he’ or ‘she’ ? You have referred to Eddie as both on your post……

Classic mindfield!
Eddie Izzard on 10:02 - Aug 5 with 2530 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 09:53 - Aug 5 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Make your mind up is it ‘he’ or ‘she’ ? You have referred to Eddie as both on your post……

Classic mindfield!

I am not sure it is a minefield, it's just that Izzard has only being using "she/her" alone since 2020, so it is very easy to type "he" when not being especially careful.

In any event, my post wasn't about pronouns, but instead about the issue of whether the Labour Party would be brave enough to allow a trans person to stand for it.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 10:11]
Eddie Izzard on 10:16 - Aug 5 with 2430 viewsFtnfwest

I think they’ve got all that wrong. Isn’t he called Susie when he’s a woman, and Eddie when she’s a man?
Eddie Izzard on 10:17 - Aug 5 with 2422 viewsDarth_Koont

The reasoning is clearly flawed. But interesting that even high-profile supporters of the Labour Party are being briefed against if they don’t fit.

And particularly amusing that they’re lumping Mason in. He’s been one of the most high-profile leftists bending over backwards to support Starmer’s leadership and right-wing stances but they still won’t let him in. 😂

Pronouns: He/Him

Eddie Izzard on 10:18 - Aug 5 with 2405 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 10:16 - Aug 5 by Ftnfwest

I think they’ve got all that wrong. Isn’t he called Susie when he’s a woman, and Eddie when she’s a man?

This is what Wikipedia says.

When asked in 2019 what pronouns she preferred, Izzard responded, "either 'he' or 'she'" and explained, "If I am in boy mode, then 'he', or girl mode, 'she'". In 2020, she requested she/her pronouns for an appearance on the TV show Portrait Artist of the Year and said she wants "to be based in girl mode from now on". In March 2023, she announced that she would begin using the name Suzy in addition to Eddie, saying that she is "going to be Suzy Eddie Izzard". Explaining that she had wanted to use the name Suzy since she was 10 years old, she added that people "can choose" which name they want to use to refer to her, and that she would keep using Eddie Izzard as her public name since it is more widely recognised.
Eddie Izzard on 11:02 - Aug 5 with 2223 viewsFtnfwest

Eddie Izzard on 10:18 - Aug 5 by DJR

This is what Wikipedia says.

When asked in 2019 what pronouns she preferred, Izzard responded, "either 'he' or 'she'" and explained, "If I am in boy mode, then 'he', or girl mode, 'she'". In 2020, she requested she/her pronouns for an appearance on the TV show Portrait Artist of the Year and said she wants "to be based in girl mode from now on". In March 2023, she announced that she would begin using the name Suzy in addition to Eddie, saying that she is "going to be Suzy Eddie Izzard". Explaining that she had wanted to use the name Suzy since she was 10 years old, she added that people "can choose" which name they want to use to refer to her, and that she would keep using Eddie Izzard as her public name since it is more widely recognised.

Handy if you bump into her/him
Eddie Izzard on 11:06 - Aug 5 with 2207 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Eddie Izzard on 09:24 - Aug 5 by Basuco

Considering that Nadine Dorries has not attended Parliament for over a year and not had a constituency surgery for over three years, not sure this is a vaguely relevant comment and shows how the Conservative led press are running scared of her.

I consider myself an LGBTQ+ ally, and generally vote Labour first choice (in Scotland, so we have preference voting).

But am I the only one who can remember just how condescending Eddie Izzard was on multiple Question Time appearances pre and post Brexit Referendum?

An original, brilliant comedian.

An incredible human being, as demonstrated most fully in the marathon of marathons and other endurance feats.

But seems so un self aware and patronising.

Geldof and Izzard on a boat on the Thames being met by convincing fake real bloke Nige and some genuine fishermen (who he sold down the river, of course) was a pivotal moment in cementing Farage's hold on much of middle England.

A huge own goal, but then Izzard still popped up on any news outlet at every opportunity, when it would have served the cause better to keep a low profile.
Eddie Izzard on 11:11 - Aug 5 with 2178 viewschicoazul

Eddie Izzard on 11:06 - Aug 5 by ArnoldMoorhen

I consider myself an LGBTQ+ ally, and generally vote Labour first choice (in Scotland, so we have preference voting).

But am I the only one who can remember just how condescending Eddie Izzard was on multiple Question Time appearances pre and post Brexit Referendum?

An original, brilliant comedian.

An incredible human being, as demonstrated most fully in the marathon of marathons and other endurance feats.

But seems so un self aware and patronising.

Geldof and Izzard on a boat on the Thames being met by convincing fake real bloke Nige and some genuine fishermen (who he sold down the river, of course) was a pivotal moment in cementing Farage's hold on much of middle England.

A huge own goal, but then Izzard still popped up on any news outlet at every opportunity, when it would have served the cause better to keep a low profile.

There are few people in the public sphere so consistently on the losing side as Eddie Izzard. She is a Jonah. No wonder Labour are trying their best to swerve her.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Eddie Izzard on 11:21 - Aug 5 with 2150 viewsGavTWTD

Eddie Izzard on 11:11 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

There are few people in the public sphere so consistently on the losing side as Eddie Izzard. She is a Jonah. No wonder Labour are trying their best to swerve her.

I think it must be difficult for any MP to follow their leader so blindly so as to agree with and promote policies and an MP like Izzard even more so. Its one of the many things I dislike about our politics that you can't be a free-thinker.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Eddie Izzard on 11:21 - Aug 5 with 2146 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 11:11 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

I can't really comment because I don't really follow what he is up to or watch Question Time. But no doubt reasons such as this will be given for his omission, if that turns out to be the case.

I might add that my wife and I were once in the pub opposite the Whitehall theatre, where we bumped into Alastair McGowan (probably before he was so widely known) and had a great chat. I think it was Channel 5 who used to put out a show from the theatre which featured him, and we managed to persuade him to include our names in a sketch, recorded later that evening from recollection. The sketch was an impersonation of Eddie Izzard and involved a tale of two dinosaurs to which he gave our names. I still have the video recording of it.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 11:28]
Eddie Izzard on 11:22 - Aug 5 with 2132 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 11:21 - Aug 5 by GavTWTD

I think it must be difficult for any MP to follow their leader so blindly so as to agree with and promote policies and an MP like Izzard even more so. Its one of the many things I dislike about our politics that you can't be a free-thinker.

Absolutely.
Eddie Izzard on 11:30 - Aug 5 with 2107 viewsLord_Lucan

Eddie Izzard on 11:02 - Aug 5 by Ftnfwest

Handy if you bump into her/him

Our lot bumped into him / she after QPR away, I think we were in Angel.

He / she was resplendent in shiny things.

I cannot get him / her as a comedian, I have tried to find him / her funny but it doesn't register with me - ditto Billy Connolly.

What I do find massively impressive is the fact that he / she delivers comedy routines in French and German but most amazing were all the back to back marathons.

Incredible actually .

As for the right honourable member for Brighton, I'd pay to see that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Eddie Izzard on 12:35 - Aug 5 with 1932 viewsDJR

Eddie Izzard on 11:30 - Aug 5 by Lord_Lucan

Our lot bumped into him / she after QPR away, I think we were in Angel.

He / she was resplendent in shiny things.

I cannot get him / her as a comedian, I have tried to find him / her funny but it doesn't register with me - ditto Billy Connolly.

What I do find massively impressive is the fact that he / she delivers comedy routines in French and German but most amazing were all the back to back marathons.

Incredible actually .

As for the right honourable member for Brighton, I'd pay to see that.

I can't say I am a fan either.
Eddie Izzard on 14:08 - Aug 5 with 1785 viewsGavTWTD

Eddie Izzard on 12:35 - Aug 5 by DJR

I can't say I am a fan either.

I liked early Izzard stuff. Dressed to Kill is worth a listen but skip the intro

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Eddie Izzard on 18:52 - Aug 5 with 1402 viewsDJR

Reading between the lines of some of the posts on this thread, I am inclined to think Labour will steer well clear of Izzard because of her trans identity, and they will do so in order to avoid controversy. It strikes me as being rather sad.

Indeed, when it comes to trans people it strikes me that much of the country and media is in the same position as it was in relation to gay people when Peter Tatchell stood in Bermondsey in the early 1980s.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 22:09]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024