Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trusty 23:43 - Jul 30 with 3128 viewsIpswich24

Off to Sheff Utd for 5m

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Trusty on 23:49 - Jul 30 with 3086 viewschenners17

Such a shame but didn't feel we would be meeting arsenals asking price when they rejected 3 million from Rangers.

Wonder who our LCB alternatives are?

Clearly Mcnally will be right side surely
Trusty on 03:32 - Jul 31 with 2812 viewsArchiRob

Nothing on the Sheffield Board or Forum about it
Trusty on 05:20 - Jul 31 with 2735 viewsPhuketPete

If it’s true (?) it’s scary how much extra you have to pay for a player who is perceived to be a bit more EPL ready (eg Trusty, Simms) as opposed to still needing development (eg Nathan, Leif et al). And if Simms and Trusty are worth £5++ then how much would we have to pay for Omari if he has a successful season here. £15m? More?

And higher costs don’t end with transfer fees. I read Leicester was spending 90% of income on salaries and the Thai owners just had to write off another £175m. I guess it would help to have a stadium that can sell 40,000 tickets every week but building that capacity wouldn’t come cheap either. And last time we redeveloped PR we got relegated!

It’s everyone’s dream to get to EPL but it doesn’t come cheap.
Trusty on 05:47 - Jul 31 with 2696 viewsrodney76

Trusty on 05:20 - Jul 31 by PhuketPete

If it’s true (?) it’s scary how much extra you have to pay for a player who is perceived to be a bit more EPL ready (eg Trusty, Simms) as opposed to still needing development (eg Nathan, Leif et al). And if Simms and Trusty are worth £5++ then how much would we have to pay for Omari if he has a successful season here. £15m? More?

And higher costs don’t end with transfer fees. I read Leicester was spending 90% of income on salaries and the Thai owners just had to write off another £175m. I guess it would help to have a stadium that can sell 40,000 tickets every week but building that capacity wouldn’t come cheap either. And last time we redeveloped PR we got relegated!

It’s everyone’s dream to get to EPL but it doesn’t come cheap.

It is possible to "freak it in the Premier" League for two or three seasons, but only the big boys with billionaire owners behind them are secure. The number of clubs with wages bills alone in excess of income is unreal.
I see neither Brighton nor Bournemouth surviving for a long stint whilst becoming a yo-yo side has to be the height of many clubs' ambitions:
WBA, Sheff. U, Norwich, Southampton, Fulham etc.

Luton would do well to just pocket the money and concentrate on ground improvements as they would seem to face an impossible task. The budgies did neither one thing nor the other spending quite a lot on players not quite good enough but with high wage levels and are now financially up against it.

If we eventually get there it will be interesting to see how our owners approach the task. It will need lots and lots of money to survive.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 5:49]
Trusty on 06:05 - Jul 31 with 2664 viewsPhuketPete

Trusty on 05:47 - Jul 31 by rodney76

It is possible to "freak it in the Premier" League for two or three seasons, but only the big boys with billionaire owners behind them are secure. The number of clubs with wages bills alone in excess of income is unreal.
I see neither Brighton nor Bournemouth surviving for a long stint whilst becoming a yo-yo side has to be the height of many clubs' ambitions:

Luton would do well to just pocket the money and concentrate on ground improvements as they would seem to face an impossible task. The budgies did neither one thing nor the other spending quite a lot on players not quite good enough but with high wage levels and are now financially up against it.

If we eventually get there it will be interesting to see how our owners approach the task. It will need lots and lots of money to survive.

Yep agree. It can all get very pricey.. but this also underlines the importance of continually developing younger players and trying to retain the community feel. Even if that only results in retaining each good player for one extra season, it can be huge.

Since our ultimate owners are a pension fund; it wouldn’t surprise me if at some point they recoup their outlay (must be £100m now?) by selling a stake. They hold 90% so could easily flip 25-30% then free ride their initial investment and still exercise ultimate control thru GC20. Whether any other entity wants to be a £100m minority stakeholder is another matter. Personally I hope the Arizona fund guys stay in it for long term : rather that than MidEast; Russian, Chinese money or from bloodsuckers lie the Glazers.
Trusty on 08:03 - Jul 31 with 2110 viewsChurchman

Agree with this. As you say, Luton should just trouser the cash. But this financial madness v the certainty of getting destroyed week in week out really shouldn’t be what the game is about. But there it is. It is. Regardless, given how our owners appear to operate, I’ve no doubt they have plans otherwise they’d never have got into it in the first place.

Even if you get big attendances that doesn’t guarantee anything. Sunderland did 10 years in the PL, struggled and fell out of it with debts well over £100m.
Trusty on 08:29 - Jul 31 with 1879 viewsPrideOfTheEast

That is basically what Luton are doing and trying to have a squad that is capable of competing at the top end of the championship for the next few years. Sensible approach.
Trusty on 09:45 - Jul 31 with 1378 viewsFrankMarshall

Shame but we can now move on to the next target.

Is he ready for Premier League football? We will soon see.

Frank Marshall

Login to get fewer ads

Trusty on 10:57 - Jul 31 with 1114 viewsHighgateBlue

Trusty on 06:05 - Jul 31 by PhuketPete

Yep agree. It can all get very pricey.. but this also underlines the importance of continually developing younger players and trying to retain the community feel. Even if that only results in retaining each good player for one extra season, it can be huge.

Since our ultimate owners are a pension fund; it wouldn’t surprise me if at some point they recoup their outlay (must be £100m now?) by selling a stake. They hold 90% so could easily flip 25-30% then free ride their initial investment and still exercise ultimate control thru GC20. Whether any other entity wants to be a £100m minority stakeholder is another matter. Personally I hope the Arizona fund guys stay in it for long term : rather that than MidEast; Russian, Chinese money or from bloodsuckers lie the Glazers.

Is ITFC really worth several hundred million at this point in time? I would be very doubtful.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024