Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know they shouldn't but... 08:31 - Jul 24 with 4084 viewsBondiBlue

...pre-season results are making me nervous. We've had a good run, the best for many years. Surely it's time for it to start going horribly wrong now.

Poll: Which would you accept?

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:37 - Jul 24 with 2916 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Try to think of them as not proper games. Because they aren't. Some haven't been 90 minutes, we've played entirely different teams between them (some entirely different teams each 'half'), and we've also thrown in a load of youngsters who won't even be in the squad most match days.

This is pretend football, trying things out, trying players in different positions, getting fitness up.

Also, we've got super Kieran McKenna. He knows exactly what we need.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:41 - Jul 24 with 2896 viewsBondiBlue

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:37 - Jul 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Try to think of them as not proper games. Because they aren't. Some haven't been 90 minutes, we've played entirely different teams between them (some entirely different teams each 'half'), and we've also thrown in a load of youngsters who won't even be in the squad most match days.

This is pretend football, trying things out, trying players in different positions, getting fitness up.

Also, we've got super Kieran McKenna. He knows exactly what we need.

True, and maybe super kieran mckenna thinks we need to get slapped by crap league one teams just a couple more times to ensure we're truly grounded before sunderland.

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:45 - Jul 24 with 2862 viewsnodge_blue

The players were saying the other week that there is no prep for the match like you get normally i.e. no rest day before they play. Often training full on the day before. So they go into the matches tired. I really wouldn't worry. We aren't suddenly going from 19 matches unbeaten to losing against Cambridge on a consistent basis.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:47 - Jul 24 with 2839 viewsBlueBoots

We arranged away friendlies to 2 physical sides, split the squad in half between the 2 games, and tried to get as many minutes into player's legs as possible; I wouldn't read anything into the results (or for that matter the performances, as both starting XI's were new to the players)

Prior to that we did very well away to a team in the same division as us, and our next friendly is against the most physical side in the Championship last season (now in the Prem); I'm sure we'll take that challenge on with a full squad, and regardless of how we do, it's all about getting ourselves in the best possible position in terns of fitness, tactics and organisation for the start of the season.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:25 - Jul 24 with 2702 viewsThe_Major

We lost to Cambridge in the Willhire Cup just before the 1980/81 season, and we all remember what a God awful season that was.

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=matchReport&level=1&day=26&a
I know they shouldn't but... on 09:27 - Jul 24 with 2684 viewsRegencyBlue

Pre season games, results wise, mean absolutely nothing, either way.

I’ve known us win every one of them and start the league dreadfully, I’ve known us lose every one of them and start the league like a rocket.

They are about fitness and very little else!
I know they shouldn't but... on 09:30 - Jul 24 with 2657 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:41 - Jul 24 by BondiBlue

True, and maybe super kieran mckenna thinks we need to get slapped by crap league one teams just a couple more times to ensure we're truly grounded before sunderland.

Slapped?

You need to look yourself in the mirror and give yourself a slap, fella!

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:37 - Jul 24 with 2625 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Why has football developed such short term memories? This happens every season at every club - there is a serious lack of understanding around the point of pre-season. Results don't matter at all. Wasn't it the Roy Keane season we smashed everyone in pre-season then didn't win for 15 games?

It's fitness, that is all that matters. The results should never even really be looked at. Did players play and get through without injury? Great, job done.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:38 - Jul 24 with 2613 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Take a long, slow, deep breath.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:39 - Jul 24 with 2600 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:37 - Jul 24 by JammyDodgerrr

Why has football developed such short term memories? This happens every season at every club - there is a serious lack of understanding around the point of pre-season. Results don't matter at all. Wasn't it the Roy Keane season we smashed everyone in pre-season then didn't win for 15 games?

It's fitness, that is all that matters. The results should never even really be looked at. Did players play and get through without injury? Great, job done.

Also, unless my memory's failing me, didn't we lose 6-0 at Charlton in a final pre-season game under Mick... and then go undefeated for 5/6 games when the season started to go top of the Champ?

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:46 - Jul 24 with 2554 viewsHighgateBlue

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:45 - Jul 24 by nodge_blue

The players were saying the other week that there is no prep for the match like you get normally i.e. no rest day before they play. Often training full on the day before. So they go into the matches tired. I really wouldn't worry. We aren't suddenly going from 19 matches unbeaten to losing against Cambridge on a consistent basis.

Our results at the Abbey Stadium have been pretty consistent over the least year or so. I'm taking heart from it. A good omen. We lost there last season in the league, and failed to beat them in two visits there overall. The season ended in promotion. COYB!
I know they shouldn't but... on 09:50 - Jul 24 with 2537 viewsPavlovsCat

Oh boy. 🥱
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:13 - Jul 24 with 2428 viewsBondiBlue

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:25 - Jul 24 by The_Major

We lost to Cambridge in the Willhire Cup just before the 1980/81 season, and we all remember what a God awful season that was.

https://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=matchReport&level=1&day=26&a

I know it shouldn't but this makes me feel better. Can anyone remember what preseason was like in the summer of 99?

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:20 - Jul 24 with 2394 viewsBlueBadger

Lost to Cambridge by BlueBadger 22 Jul 2023 14:50
Give over you massive fanny.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:21 - Jul 24 with 2388 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It seems a very intensive run of friendlies prior to a long season. I thought players would get more rest but trust that K Mc can strike the right balance of getting fitness and not tiring the squad ahead of 46 tough games!

Would assume we’ll use the last couple of game to put our strongest squad out to give them playing time together, rather than a mish mash of players?
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:25 - Jul 24 with 2356 viewsBlueBadger

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:39 - Jul 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Also, unless my memory's failing me, didn't we lose 6-0 at Charlton in a final pre-season game under Mick... and then go undefeated for 5/6 games when the season started to go top of the Champ?

Yep.

Charlton 6-1 Town - Match Report 29th Jul 2017 16:50
Town’s pre-season programme ended on the worst possible note as the Blues were thrashed 6-1 by League One Charlton Athletic at the Valley. Patrick Bauer, Tariqe Fosu and Josh Magennis (2) put the Addicks 4-0 up at half-time before two Ricky Holmes strikes sandwiched Andre Dozzell’s solitary goal for Town. 169

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season - although it was five wins in the first six.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:26 - Jul 24 with 2348 viewsBondiBlue

I know they shouldn't but... on 09:30 - Jul 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

Slapped?

You need to look yourself in the mirror and give yourself a slap, fella!

Didn't mean to crap all over your response, sorry. You're probably right. I think honestly i'm just so convinced it's all going to go tits-up soon, i'm looking for evidence.

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:28 - Jul 24 with 2336 viewstractorboy1978

I think pre-season results as an indicator of anything are especially irrelevant this year given we've had no meaningful turnover in players whatsoever. We can still field the whole starting 11 + subs from our ridiculous run towards the back end of last season!
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:29 - Jul 24 with 2334 viewsVaughan8

My only concern is I don't think our defence is as good as we think. Definitely will be tested more in this league.

Spliting the teams tells me that they aren't bothered about the results, just wanted match fitness to increase.

I'm excited to see how we do.
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:29 - Jul 24 with 2323 viewsyorkshireblue

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:26 - Jul 24 by BondiBlue

Didn't mean to crap all over your response, sorry. You're probably right. I think honestly i'm just so convinced it's all going to go tits-up soon, i'm looking for evidence.

A pre-season game from last season...

https://www.sofascore.com/scunthorpe-united-sheffield-united/psKb#10451092
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:32 - Jul 24 with 2292 viewsBondiBlue

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:29 - Jul 24 by yorkshireblue

A pre-season game from last season...

https://www.sofascore.com/scunthorpe-united-sheffield-united/psKb#10451092

Great stuff. Keep them coming!

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:33 - Jul 24 with 2286 viewsBlueOura

I know they shouldn't but... on 08:47 - Jul 24 by BlueBoots

We arranged away friendlies to 2 physical sides, split the squad in half between the 2 games, and tried to get as many minutes into player's legs as possible; I wouldn't read anything into the results (or for that matter the performances, as both starting XI's were new to the players)

Prior to that we did very well away to a team in the same division as us, and our next friendly is against the most physical side in the Championship last season (now in the Prem); I'm sure we'll take that challenge on with a full squad, and regardless of how we do, it's all about getting ourselves in the best possible position in terns of fitness, tactics and organisation for the start of the season.

Hallelujah! It's not difficult is it? and you really shouldn't need to make this post but the amount of people losing their sh!t after Cambridge/Stevenage is quite remarkable.

I genuinley fear for the mental wellbeing of some when we actually lose a few games on the spin during the season (which in all likelihood will happen).
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:34 - Jul 24 with 2262 viewsVaughan8

I remember one year in the Championship, Crewe beat West Brom 5-1 in the first game.........

Crewe went down, West Brom went up. and thats a "proper" game. EDIT: Maybe not crewe as I can't find it, but it was someone haha

No need to panic yet!

EDIT: Walsall and it was 4-1 haha
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 10:39]
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:39 - Jul 24 with 2215 viewsyorkshireblue

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:34 - Jul 24 by Vaughan8

I remember one year in the Championship, Crewe beat West Brom 5-1 in the first game.........

Crewe went down, West Brom went up. and thats a "proper" game. EDIT: Maybe not crewe as I can't find it, but it was someone haha

No need to panic yet!

EDIT: Walsall and it was 4-1 haha
[Post edited 24 Jul 2023 10:39]

Walsall. It was Merson's debut for them IIRC
I know they shouldn't but... on 10:40 - Jul 24 with 2204 viewsVaughan8

I know they shouldn't but... on 10:39 - Jul 24 by yorkshireblue

Walsall. It was Merson's debut for them IIRC

Good memory!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024