Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laptop recommendations please! 12:16 - Jul 3 with 2797 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I've been putting off buying a new laptop for ages, but as I'll be studying a Master's from September I have to bite the bullet and go for one.

I was doing a bit of research a few weeks ago and was shocked at how expensive laptops have become (well into the £1,000 range seems pretty standard). Ideally would want to spend under £1,000 if possible.

I just need something which will allow basic tasks and programmes. No gaming is required.

Prefer a bigger screen. Maybe in the 17"-19" range.

Hopefully it should be good enough to last a few years.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Laptop recommendations please! on 17:01 - Jul 3 with 407 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Thanks everyone for all the tips.

I get what people are saying re paying more for a product that will last longer, but budgets are budgets at any given time, and as long as my next laptop gets me to where I'm wanting to be, and lasts a few years in the process I'll be happy.

Will likely go ahead with Dan's main suggestion but will think about it for a couple of days first.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Laptop recommendations please! on 17:08 - Jul 3 with 404 viewsmrfixit426

Laptop recommendations please! on 13:33 - Jul 3 by DanTheMan

That's fairly decent but they've skimped on RAM (8GB gets used up remarkably quickly) and it's got a 3060 in it you don't need, which means it might be loud and a battery drain. Depending on whether you need a good battery life, that's something to consider.

eBuyer and Lenovo are both good though.

On the screen thing, honestly, I'd just spend £100 on a screen you can use along with a cheap keyboard + mouse bluetooth set.

Something like this might be suitable:
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v15-g3-82tt-core-i7-1255u-16gb-512gb-ssd-

Wicklow is also right that maybe a Chromebook might be suitable unless you need access to certain Windows only products.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2023 13:35]

Agree with you about the RAM, but it should be upgradeable and it also depends on what it needs to do. I was looking more at the 17" screen as he wanted a larger one. Lenovo are solid.
Laptop recommendations please! on 18:35 - Jul 3 with 369 viewsCoastalblue

Laptop recommendations please! on 15:08 - Jul 3 by Ryorry

Fair enough if you're too stretched now, but a Macbook would save you buying another laptop in 4-5 years' time unless you want to upgrade. My previous one lasted 8 years (and is still going after 10, just needed a new add-on keyboard as the 'e' had worn away, then stopped working altogether).

No problems with the new one after 18 months.

I'm typing this on a 7 year old windows laptop, no longer my only laptop but the other one is high spec and used for gaming.

I travel with this and I can surf, use email, watch stuff etc with no issue whatsoever, in fact it will still do anything I want aside from playing games. I paid less than £400 for it, I look after it and don't see it failing any time soon.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024