Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Queens of the Stone Age last night 12:13 - Jun 26 with 1529 viewsGunnsAirkick

Did anyone watch them over Elton John last night (appreciate I'm in the minority here)?

I'm slightly biased as they were one of the big bands I got into as a teenager, but it seemed like a real return to form for them. One of the best sets I've seen all weekend and I've enjoyed a lot this year. Highlights for me were In The Fade (decicated to Mark Lanegan) and Song for the Dead at the end was brutal with the crowd properly going off.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2023 12:16]
Queens of the Stone Age last night on 12:18 - Jun 26 with 1478 viewsBluJu

Good choice, although by all accounts Elton could actually sing last night.

I opted to go and see Muse at MK Bowl. Outstanding show, I must say, having skipped their tours for several years now. We were just a few feet from the barrier, which make my daughter's first ever gig pretty special. Notes: it was hot.
Queens of the Stone Age last night on 12:56 - Jun 26 with 1356 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Didn't know they were on but not surprised you enjoyed it, one of the best I have ever seen live. Will have a watch later: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0ft9z2w/glastonbury-queens-of-the-stone-a

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:03 - Jun 26 with 1329 viewsthe_toff

I wasn't at Glasto and wouldn't choose to watch them over Elton John, especially given it was likely his last UK gig, but I caught up on the set afterwards. They were excellent. Almost a shame for them that they clashed with Elton as no doubt would've had more interest otherwise.

I've seen QOTSA live and they were brilliant then as well.
Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:24 - Jun 26 with 1287 viewsGunnsAirkick

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 12:56 - Jun 26 by SlippinJimmyJuan

Didn't know they were on but not surprised you enjoyed it, one of the best I have ever seen live. Will have a watch later: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0ft9z2w/glastonbury-queens-of-the-stone-a

I've seen them live a few times, but not for a few years now. Footage I've seen of them in more recent years, they seemed to be missing something. Whatever they were missing was there in spades last night, it was like old QotSA. Relly impressive.
Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:27 - Jun 26 with 1277 viewsGunnsAirkick

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:03 - Jun 26 by the_toff

I wasn't at Glasto and wouldn't choose to watch them over Elton John, especially given it was likely his last UK gig, but I caught up on the set afterwards. They were excellent. Almost a shame for them that they clashed with Elton as no doubt would've had more interest otherwise.

I'm not a big Elton John fan, but appreciate the enormity of last night and his dedication to music for decades. All that said even though I'm not a big fan I seemed to know most of the songs he was playing last night (I watched the first 45 minutes), which says something! I will probably catch up more of his set too. There's so much to watch still.
Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:51 - Jun 26 with 1216 viewsthe_toff

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:27 - Jun 26 by GunnsAirkick

I'm not a big Elton John fan, but appreciate the enormity of last night and his dedication to music for decades. All that said even though I'm not a big fan I seemed to know most of the songs he was playing last night (I watched the first 45 minutes), which says something! I will probably catch up more of his set too. There's so much to watch still.

I'm no super fan but there's no denying the guy is an icon, he's managed to stay relevant for decades and he's one of the best musical exports from the UK ever. A genuine legend of the industry in its truest sense. I thoroughly enjoyed his set last night, my only criticism if I were being picky is that he probably didn't need his guests, who on balance only served to dampen the vibe rather than lift it. The gospel bloke at the start was OK and Brandon Flowers was a cool touch but I didn't think the other 2 really clicked.

I've got a lot to catch up on as well, I've not seen the Guns n Roses set yet so will give that a look, although I've heard some mixed feedback.

Would have loved to be there, I've never been to Glasto despite trying to get tickets on numerous occasions. I probably won't apply next year as it falls in the middle of the Euro's and I'm hoping to be out in Germany.
Queens of the Stone Age last night on 14:02 - Jun 26 with 1195 viewsRadlett_blue

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:27 - Jun 26 by GunnsAirkick

I like Elton John & he put in a decent shift last night for a 76 year old & his voice was better than I expected. However, his set last night consisted almost entirely of songs that he recorded 40 or more years ago. Nothing wrong with that & he has a great back catalogue, but this is the nostalgia circuit, rather than an artist who's still "relevant". However, I was surprised at the number of younger people who seemed to know the words to his songs last night.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 14:12 - Jun 26 with 1177 viewsthe_toff

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 14:02 - Jun 26 by Radlett_blue

I like Elton John & he put in a decent shift last night for a 76 year old & his voice was better than I expected. However, his set last night consisted almost entirely of songs that he recorded 40 or more years ago. Nothing wrong with that & he has a great back catalogue, but this is the nostalgia circuit, rather than an artist who's still "relevant". However, I was surprised at the number of younger people who seemed to know the words to his songs last night.

Thing is his catalogue is so big that when you've got a set to close the curtain at Glastonbury, your Glasto debut, and likely last ever UK gig after 50 odd years you're going to go all killer and no filler. He did do the one with Dua Lipa that's a take on Rocket Man.

He's still relevant enough to have 120,000 people watching him on a Sunday night at Glastonbury. A lot of the younger audience would've been the Lion King era or engaged through colabs like Eminem, Ghetto Gospel which featured Tupac etc. Or Kanye West, Ed Sheeran, Dua Lipa, Britney Spears etc.

I wouldn't have minded him including more of the recent stuff but I can understand the set list, he absolutely smashed it. I think in time that'll go down as an iconic Glastonbury set.
Login to get fewer ads

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 14:23 - Jun 26 with 1160 viewsblueasfook

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 13:03 - Jun 26 by the_toff

The last gig of his farewell tour - which began in 2018

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 14:42 - Jun 26 with 1123 viewsRadlett_blue

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 14:23 - Jun 26 by blueasfook

The last gig of his farewell tour - which began in 2018

Frank Sinatra announced his retirement in 1971, but after an 18m month hiatus, subsequently performed in public over 1,000 times. Of course, near the end of his career his voice was a shadow of what it had been & he wasn't performing in front of over 100,000 people.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Queens of the Stone Age last night on 17:32 - Jun 26 with 991 viewsDBaldy

Watched it on iPlayer this morning and it was epic, a real return to form as has been mentioned already.

I'm loving the new album as well, can't wait to see them in November at the O2. Last time I saw them in 2017 I had a sprained ankle so couldn't bounce very much. I fully intend to make up for that in November!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024