Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Southwood linked. 15:34 - Jun 24 with 4089 viewsSheffordBlue

Now a free agent after leaving Reading. Was on loan last season at Cheltenham.
Would suggest there's a move lined up for Hladky or we/the player are looking for a move over the summer.

Source seems to be a reputable journalist.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Luke Southwood linked. on 15:53 - Jun 24 with 3918 viewsKieran_Knows

Very good keeper him. Would be good competition to Walton.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Luke Southwood linked. on 16:17 - Jun 24 with 3736 viewsthe_toff

Looking back on when we first met
I can not escape and I cannot forget
Southwood you’re the one
You still turn me on
But Walton’s number 1 again
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 18:13]
Luke Southwood linked. on 18:02 - Jun 24 with 3261 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Definitely a reputable Journo. Used to be the main sports journalist for the local papers down here.
(Until Reach got hold of it and got rid of all the reporters and photographers)

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Luke Southwood linked. on 18:30 - Jun 24 with 3136 viewsPhilTWTD

Not been able to firm this up this end but I'm sure there's something in it. I know Jon and he knows his stuff. Also I predicted he'd be on our radar!

Squad as it stands by PhilTWTD 18 May 2023 15:28
I'd expect Hladky to move on for first-team football. Veteran back-up certainly possible but on a different note wonder whether we'd be interested in Luke Southwood, who has just been released by Reading after impressive season at Cheltenham.

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:02 - Jun 24 with 2988 viewsNutkins_Return

Decent keeper by all accounts but he's too small. I'll get shot down for this but you just cannot be a top quality goalkeeper at 6ft (a little over). Hladky looks small at 6ft 2.

What stops Pickford being top class IMO and he's nearly 6ft 2. I remember us having Brian Murphy. Really talented keeper but he would get lobbed (think at Swansea) and unfortunately his height just caused problems.

This boy is talented but for me we need someone taller especially when he is backup for Walton. Players will be used to certain scenarios from corners/freekicks. Suddenly you don't have a keeper claimin the same balls.

Gets ful l support if signed. Just my opinion.

*If he's taller than wiki/transfermarket stats then take it all back because good reports on him.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 19:03]
Luke Southwood linked. on 19:11 - Jun 24 with 2936 viewsPositivelyPortman

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:02 - Jun 24 by Nutkins_Return

Decent keeper by all accounts but he's too small. I'll get shot down for this but you just cannot be a top quality goalkeeper at 6ft (a little over). Hladky looks small at 6ft 2.

What stops Pickford being top class IMO and he's nearly 6ft 2. I remember us having Brian Murphy. Really talented keeper but he would get lobbed (think at Swansea) and unfortunately his height just caused problems.

This boy is talented but for me we need someone taller especially when he is backup for Walton. Players will be used to certain scenarios from corners/freekicks. Suddenly you don't have a keeper claimin the same balls.

*If he's taller than wiki/transfermarket stats then take it all back because good reports on him.

I agree. He looks smallish in the photo above.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:13 - Jun 24 with 2921 viewsthatbdude

He's a great goalkeeper, a bit short for goalkeeper standards but who cares really about that

Poll: Who going down?

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:18 - Jun 24 with 2888 viewsNutkins_Return

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:13 - Jun 24 by thatbdude

He's a great goalkeeper, a bit short for goalkeeper standards but who cares really about that

It's a key attribute for a goalkeeper. It just is. Makes an absolutely huge difference to how defend set plays and getting beaten by looping shots etc.

I'm absolutely not saying he is a bad keeper. He isn't. Just never been comfortable with a small keeper and we've had experience.
Login to get fewer ads

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:23 - Jun 24 with 2868 viewsNutkins_Return

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:18 - Jun 24 by Nutkins_Return

It's a key attribute for a goalkeeper. It just is. Makes an absolutely huge difference to how defend set plays and getting beaten by looping shots etc.

I'm absolutely not saying he is a bad keeper. He isn't. Just never been comfortable with a small keeper and we've had experience.

...I will add the lad in goal for Barnsley second half of alst season and in the playoff final. Was at the playoff final and he was outstanding and is a little un. That last goal from my view maybe might have reached it if a little bigger but he was outstanding.

Not saying its impossible at 6ft to be a good keeper. Maybe to be top class. But just definitely requires a different way of defending and some weakness. Mads Anderson is immense in the air which helped the Keeper.
Luke Southwood linked. on 19:58 - Jun 24 with 2732 viewsMetal_Hacker

The only thing stopping Pickford from being “world class “ is his temperament not his height. If you’re still struggling to jump above any player using your arms and reach, then there’s something wrong with your technique and timing - 6’2” is adequate

Poll: If it were one or the other

Luke Southwood linked. on 20:05 - Jun 24 with 2714 viewsNutkins_Return

Luke Southwood linked. on 19:58 - Jun 24 by Metal_Hacker

The only thing stopping Pickford from being “world class “ is his temperament not his height. If you’re still struggling to jump above any player using your arms and reach, then there’s something wrong with your technique and timing - 6’2” is adequate

I agree it's 'adequate'. 6ft 2 is about minimum for me. But he's not top class and it's a factor. Not the only factor.

Pickford's attitude is a strength and a weakness at times.

He's a quality keeper and as you say adequate. 6ft becomes much more of issue.

"Struggling to jump above any player using your arms" is massively simplifying. You are just not going to be commanding from set plays at 6ft. Doesn't mean he doesnt have other excellent qualities. It's just a major issue for me.
[Redacted] on 22:02 - Jun 24 with 2413 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 22:08 - Jun 24 with 2389 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Luke Southwood linked. on 08:28 - Jun 25 with 1962 viewsWakh

Although height does come with many its own disadvantages. At 6'8 I related to all of Tomas Holys weaknesses.
Luke Southwood linked. on 10:06 - Jun 25 with 1822 viewsAlanG296

Surely these days the most important attribute for the player in goal is ability to pass the ball short distances to Woolfy, Morsy etc.
Luke Southwood linked. on 14:34 - Jun 25 with 1655 viewsHalifaxBlue

Yes, Casillas, Victor Valdez, Ospina, all famously terrible keepers.

Take it from someone who works with keepers every day - this is nonsense. Of course size helps, but you absolutely can be a top quality GK at 6ft.

Keepers are no different than players. What you want depends on how your side plays. If you spend a lot of time building out and don't allow many crosses, then there is no reason to sign a 6'4" keeper over a 6'0" one if they have the skillset you are after.

Besides, I have worked with <6ft keepers who have the spring to cover way more ground than 6'3" keepers at the same level. Height alone is just one aspect of a players physical makeup and tells you nothing.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Luke Southwood linked. on 14:45 - Jun 25 with 1611 viewsFevsBCFC

[Redacted] on 22:02 - Jun 24 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Paul Cooper or Michael Cooper!!!
Luke Southwood linked. on 15:07 - Jun 25 with 1563 viewscressi

Luke Southwood linked. on 14:45 - Jun 25 by FevsBCFC

Paul Cooper or Michael Cooper!!!

Paul Cooper was pretty good at 5ft 11 thing is I think 6ft is fine keepers rarely have a mick Hartford
Mariner or a Joe Jordan lumping in to you, today goalies almost have to be as good with ur feet as ur hand's.
Luke Southwood linked. on 17:43 - Jun 25 with 1416 viewsNutkins_Return

Luke Southwood linked. on 14:34 - Jun 25 by HalifaxBlue

Yes, Casillas, Victor Valdez, Ospina, all famously terrible keepers.

Take it from someone who works with keepers every day - this is nonsense. Of course size helps, but you absolutely can be a top quality GK at 6ft.

Keepers are no different than players. What you want depends on how your side plays. If you spend a lot of time building out and don't allow many crosses, then there is no reason to sign a 6'4" keeper over a 6'0" one if they have the skillset you are after.

Besides, I have worked with <6ft keepers who have the spring to cover way more ground than 6'3" keepers at the same level. Height alone is just one aspect of a players physical makeup and tells you nothing.

It's not nonsense at all. It's a big physical disadvantage. Factually. If we're chucking names to try to prove points then the more relevant recent examples are Murphy, Dai Cornell and Wright who played for us. It's definitely not impossible to be a quality keeper at 6ft and you have at least dispelled my comment that you can't be top class at 6ft with Casillas. The other two were very good keepers but not same level.

None of those examples were commanding from set plays and crosses and I'd argue all generally played their best football in dominant teams. That makes a big difference. They were outstanding shot stoppers.

If we sign this guy and he's anywhere close to those guys I'd be delighted and regardless will support the guy. We've had so many issues in recent years pre Walton conceding from corners and set plays.just prefer a 6ft 2 minimum.

We've had Murphy, Dai
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024