Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are academies? School, not football ones. 17:26 - Jun 15 with 555 viewsMattinLondon

I’m wondering whether any posters children go to an academy rather than a traditional primary school.

My two kids go to a good primary school but I’ve just heard that the head wants to turn it into an academy. What does this actually mean? I’m pretty ignorant on this matter and wondering whether any poster’s kids have gone through this change and whether they noticed any difference.

Thanks in advance.
What are academies? School, not football ones. on 22:09 - Jun 15 with 449 viewsBent_double

My son did go to an academy that was formally a high school, my understanding of them is that they are in control of their own finances, ie the local authority has no direct control over them.

Not exactly sure of the details, I would guess the academy is still bound by the DoE in terms of curriculum, but perhaps with a bit more freedom to make agreements with local businesses in order to cater for their requirements, for example.

I think you also find several schools joining academy groups, perhaps sharing Heads or teachers, improving efficiencies, or just a way to save money and ensure the companies that run them make nice healthy profits from the UK taxpayer??? Who knows...

Anyway, just my understanding, there are a few on here who actually work in education and will probably be able to give you a clearer understanding.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

What are academies? School, not football ones. on 22:22 - Jun 15 with 419 viewsJamestownPrince

Hi, I have worked for a couple of Academy trusts which allow schools and staff some leeway to get on with the job and treat kids with respect - Work for one at the moment "up North" and they are decent employers.

There are others that treat staff rather shoddily, employ young staff on the cheap as they will say "Yes sir, no sir, three sets of books marked tonight sir" - they do their 2 years probation and move on.

As it is a "Good" school , the governing body should be able to choose which trust to join - a local collection of schools with their own identity can work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024