Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kraków 10:06 - May 21 with 1314 viewsgtsb1966

Going there on a four day trip in two weeks time. Obviously the Auschwitz tour is number one on my list but I would be grateful if anyone else has been to the city could give me some suggestions about what to do on the other days. I'm staying in the city centre. Many thanks.
Kraków on 10:19 - May 21 with 1267 viewsHerbivore

Salt mines are meant to be worth a trip. It's a lovely city to just wander around really. The fire breathing dragon statue is also a must, at the bottom of the castle.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kraków on 10:21 - May 21 with 1255 viewsazuremerlangus

Salt mines are a must too. These are on the outskirts of the city and I seem to remember using a mix of public transport (train/tram) and taxis. Schindler’s factory/museum is on the route out/way back hence the above but you need to book tickets in advance for the factory as it is very popular.

Plenty to see in the city to keep you busy for a couple of days.

Auschwitz is a very sobering day as you can imagine - lots of reflection on the 50 mins bus trip back to the city…

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Kraków on 10:25 - May 21 with 1252 viewsLord_Lucan

Kraków on 10:21 - May 21 by azuremerlangus

Salt mines are a must too. These are on the outskirts of the city and I seem to remember using a mix of public transport (train/tram) and taxis. Schindler’s factory/museum is on the route out/way back hence the above but you need to book tickets in advance for the factory as it is very popular.

Plenty to see in the city to keep you busy for a couple of days.

Auschwitz is a very sobering day as you can imagine - lots of reflection on the 50 mins bus trip back to the city…

Yes, Salt Mines are a must.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I might have done Auschwitz and Salt Mines in one day once - but not entirely sure. That would though leave you a whole day on the p1ss.

Loads and loads of bars but bear in mind many are underground so when you see a beer sign but no door -- look down.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kraków on 11:02 - May 21 with 1189 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Cracking City.
Leave a whole day to visit Auschwitz. Will be the most sobering experience.
As previously mentioned, the salt mines are impressive.
The main square is touristy but very nice with plenty of restaurants surrounding it. Some of the little streets around there have better quality eateries and bars and on the whole cheaper than the square.
Jewish quarter well worth a stroll around as is the castle. Beer is very good too.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Kraków on 12:28 - May 21 with 1066 viewsbradforblues

I'd go see Schindlers factory. As already mentioned the main square is terrific for eating, drinking and people watching. Download the Line app and hire the electric scooters you'll see every street corner. Fun and cover more ground that way.

you are my ipswich !!

Kraków on 12:50 - May 21 with 1041 viewsHerbivore

Kraków on 11:02 - May 21 by StochesStotasBlewe

Cracking City.
Leave a whole day to visit Auschwitz. Will be the most sobering experience.
As previously mentioned, the salt mines are impressive.
The main square is touristy but very nice with plenty of restaurants surrounding it. Some of the little streets around there have better quality eateries and bars and on the whole cheaper than the square.
Jewish quarter well worth a stroll around as is the castle. Beer is very good too.

Jewish quarter is lovely, that's where I stayed when I was there. It's where the best bars are, imho.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kraków on 15:22 - May 21 with 925 viewsurbanblue

Not many people know but just outside the city was Plascow concentration camp, which was the camp featured in Schindlers List. When I was there we hired bikes and found the site. Not a lot there but a couple of memorials although Goeths villa is still there. Will always remember the scene in the filmwhere he was taking pot shots at the prisoners. Was certainly a moment of quiet reflection.

As Lucan said the numerous bars are great.Nothing better than walking into an underground cavern where a band were playing sing-along sea shanties in Polish and the barman walks up to serve you sucking on a roll up ... just superb.
[Redacted] on 20:25 - May 21 with 767 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024