Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's probably been said already 02:10 - Apr 19 with 1833 viewsGarv

But Ladapo was a bit of a downgrade on Hirst tonight wasn't he?

I know Port Vale were a different beast to Charlton, but even considering that Freddie gave us so little compared to what Hirst does.

Saving him for Saturday so fair enough, but if you're confident in his fitness he should be starting every game.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

It's probably been said already on 02:36 - Apr 19 with 1777 viewsBigCommon

Not sure it's as simple as that, imo... Vale were incredibly disciplined in their shape and game plan. They didn't get pulled around and they smothered our 10s.... I honestly don't think it would have mattered too much, who did the first 60 minutes. Imo, it was just a case of waring them down for 60-70 minutes, and letting the energy of our subs, do the damage...Freddy played his part, imo. No worse, tonight, than Chappers, for instance, who they did a right job on, too.Thought it was tough out there for all the forwards. Took a really good finish from Broadhead and a pen to get it done, our only two attempts on target, in the whole match. Which tells you how hard Vale worked to keep us quiet..
I do think Hirst edges it over Freddy, for his all round game. But I just think, in this particular game, for the first hour, whilst Vale were still energised and concentrating well. That No one was getting much joy up top Tonight. Just my op'..
It's probably been said already on 04:07 - Apr 19 with 1730 viewsKropotkin123

That's what I thought in the first half. But was interesting to hear McKenna suggest people, such as Broadhead, should have been getting runs closer to him and did that in the second half.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

It's probably been said already on 04:28 - Apr 19 with 1700 viewsPioneerBlue

We’ve won. Everyone has played their part. Singling out a player when we’ve won? What is to be gained from this at this stage of the season? It feels like it under represents how organised and focused the opposition we’re is leaving no space.

I don’t see Ladapo, nearly 20 goals this season as a down grade on Hirst. Ladapo helped almost single handedly over the first half season to get us into a fighting position. Hirst may now suit the game plan and players now around him better but he’s played a lot, fitness wise he’s good but not everyone can play every minute of every game and continue at high intensity without risk of some injury, that’s not fitness and wear and tear.

It was a tough game which in the end we had the tools and capabilities to win.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

It's probably been said already on 06:16 - Apr 19 with 1533 viewsbilllm

He is, but Freddie does what Freddie does he's more of a number 9, very central, dosent really like going out in the channels,
Hirst closes everyone down right across the back four,
Also he has very good feet for a big guy,
Very different players,
Maybe not a night for Freddie to start,
It's probably been said already on 06:29 - Apr 19 with 1504 viewspennblue

He was not at his best but he has been used to coming on as a sub the last few games

It took Hirst a few games to get into his starting stride too

Vale were up for it last night and looked a decent top half team to me, possibly even top 6 capable

Not sure why they are so low in the table

But a lot of players found it tough last night including burns and chaplin

He was subbed but to start calling him a downgrade at this stage of the season is just unhelpful

Just get behind the team and you can have these debates in may

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

It's probably been said already on 08:33 - Apr 19 with 1190 viewscressi

It's probably been said already on 06:29 - Apr 19 by pennblue

He was not at his best but he has been used to coming on as a sub the last few games

It took Hirst a few games to get into his starting stride too

Vale were up for it last night and looked a decent top half team to me, possibly even top 6 capable

Not sure why they are so low in the table

But a lot of players found it tough last night including burns and chaplin

He was subbed but to start calling him a downgrade at this stage of the season is just unhelpful

Just get behind the team and you can have these debates in may

If that header had gone in first few minutes may of been a different game
It's probably been said already on 10:23 - Apr 19 with 1021 viewsSW1_Blue

Wholly agree. The problem with Ladapo is he's so static. He rarely drops back into the space between the lines, he doesn't spin his man, and he doesn't really run the channels. Hirst does all of these plus he's a better finisher. Chaplin laso suffers when Ladapo plays as he drifts too far forward. Picking Ladapo from the start nearly cost us dear last night IMHO

Sausages.

It's probably been said already on 10:32 - Apr 19 with 979 viewspointofblue

It's probably been said already on 02:36 - Apr 19 by BigCommon

Not sure it's as simple as that, imo... Vale were incredibly disciplined in their shape and game plan. They didn't get pulled around and they smothered our 10s.... I honestly don't think it would have mattered too much, who did the first 60 minutes. Imo, it was just a case of waring them down for 60-70 minutes, and letting the energy of our subs, do the damage...Freddy played his part, imo. No worse, tonight, than Chappers, for instance, who they did a right job on, too.Thought it was tough out there for all the forwards. Took a really good finish from Broadhead and a pen to get it done, our only two attempts on target, in the whole match. Which tells you how hard Vale worked to keep us quiet..
I do think Hirst edges it over Freddy, for his all round game. But I just think, in this particular game, for the first hour, whilst Vale were still energised and concentrating well. That No one was getting much joy up top Tonight. Just my op'..

Thinking about it, I agree. I was critical last night but, to be honest, Chaplin and Broadhead were poor in the first half as well. Burns started brightly but dropped off as the half went on. So not sure if it's fair to blame all the ills on Ladapo. Otherwise, has to be said, for such an apparently poor striker, he's done well to score the number of goals that he has.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

It's probably been said already on 10:38 - Apr 19 with 959 viewsDeano69

Downgrade is a little harsh. Not a game to suit Freddie’s strengths really. Hirst had more of an effect an hour in, but no different to Saturday when Freddie puts one away with his first touch having watched Hirst kicked black and blue for over an hour.

Great to have the choice.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

It's probably been said already on 11:15 - Apr 19 with 850 viewsBigCommon

It's probably been said already on 10:32 - Apr 19 by pointofblue

Thinking about it, I agree. I was critical last night but, to be honest, Chaplin and Broadhead were poor in the first half as well. Burns started brightly but dropped off as the half went on. So not sure if it's fair to blame all the ills on Ladapo. Otherwise, has to be said, for such an apparently poor striker, he's done well to score the number of goals that he has.

Think, coming off the back of Saturday's 6-0, it was easy to assume that the goals would flow last night... When they didn't, it's natural to look for a reason why. I think a lot of credit has to go to Vale, they must have been dead on their feet after that match...
Nice for us to have the tools, these days, to grind out the 3pts.. When they scored, it felt like it might be another Lincoln game, for me. Just for a little while..
It's probably been said already on 11:21 - Apr 19 with 828 viewsghostofescobar

Not his type of game. He likes running into space, but because Vale were so deep and compact, there were no opportunities to do that. With the benefit of hindsight, Hirst would have been better to start against Vale, as he is better holding the ball up and linking play, and Freddie for Charlton, as there was plenty of space between their defenders.

GhostOfEscobar

It's probably been said already on 12:25 - Apr 19 with 675 viewsJackNorthStand

I think he's just a different player to Hirst. That being said in our system I feel Hirsts style is more complimentary to our side.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024