Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wrexham have signed.... 11:24 - Mar 23 with 4589 viewsJackSted

Ben Foster!!!!!

I actually can't stand that club anymore
[Post edited 23 Mar 2023 11:24]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Wrexham have signed.... on 12:09 - Mar 24 with 779 viewssjg

Wrexham have signed.... on 11:59 - Mar 24 by JammyDodgerrr

They were getting roughly 5K at every home game before the takeover, but much like us, of course the takeover boosts attendance.

And your second point is just strictly not true, there was plenty of a buzz around Wrexham even before the documentary came out, and it merely enhanced it. What is happening with us, is really not that different to what is happening in Wrexham. We will be pumping in a fair amount of money, into both the team and the infrastructure.

We will, yes. But we aren't blowing clubs like Wednesday who are of a similar size out of the water in terms of spending, signing players that clubs two leagues above us want in their first team such as Mullin, and players like Ben Foster who recently rejected Newcastle.

I also couldn't name the last player that Wrexham sold for a significant sum, whereas in Paul Cook's summer of destruction we sold a number of players (Dozzell, Gibbs, Bishop), had the Downes money and didn't actually spend that much to bring players in? I understand that it is easy to say we are the same as we both have American owners that have come in, but I think we are now being run effectively following years of decline rather than throwing ridiculous amounts of money about like Wrexham?
Wrexham have signed.... on 12:17 - Mar 24 with 757 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Wrexham have signed.... on 12:09 - Mar 24 by sjg

We will, yes. But we aren't blowing clubs like Wednesday who are of a similar size out of the water in terms of spending, signing players that clubs two leagues above us want in their first team such as Mullin, and players like Ben Foster who recently rejected Newcastle.

I also couldn't name the last player that Wrexham sold for a significant sum, whereas in Paul Cook's summer of destruction we sold a number of players (Dozzell, Gibbs, Bishop), had the Downes money and didn't actually spend that much to bring players in? I understand that it is easy to say we are the same as we both have American owners that have come in, but I think we are now being run effectively following years of decline rather than throwing ridiculous amounts of money about like Wrexham?

But, Wrexham aren't massively outspending their rivals either. Plenty of clubs, like Chesterfield have spent lots and lots of money, as well. Why would Foster go to Newcastle and bench warm, when he can go to Wrexham, play eight games, get a league winners medal, build his podcast and influencer brand even more, and weave himself into (probably) footballs biggest story at the moment.

We're a club that has spent £1m+ on a single player in League 1 in three windows i think? We are in no place to pretend we are not doing the same thing.

EDIT: Also, as an additional comment, one of your points is us not spending that much because of sales etc, Wrexham won't have made much on player sales, you are right, but the documentary alone made the club £430,000 per episode, it's been reported. They will be making serious money in all of their other revenue streams.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 12:26]

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Wrexham have signed.... on 12:26 - Mar 24 with 743 viewssjg

Wrexham have signed.... on 12:17 - Mar 24 by JammyDodgerrr

But, Wrexham aren't massively outspending their rivals either. Plenty of clubs, like Chesterfield have spent lots and lots of money, as well. Why would Foster go to Newcastle and bench warm, when he can go to Wrexham, play eight games, get a league winners medal, build his podcast and influencer brand even more, and weave himself into (probably) footballs biggest story at the moment.

We're a club that has spent £1m+ on a single player in League 1 in three windows i think? We are in no place to pretend we are not doing the same thing.

EDIT: Also, as an additional comment, one of your points is us not spending that much because of sales etc, Wrexham won't have made much on player sales, you are right, but the documentary alone made the club £430,000 per episode, it's been reported. They will be making serious money in all of their other revenue streams.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2023 12:26]

Having looked at Wrexham, Notts County's and Chesterfield's transfers over the last two years, if you don't think Wrexham are blowing these clubs away then I don't think there is too much point in arguing with you.

Although the Skuse profile picture should have told me as much
Wrexham have signed.... on 12:38 - Mar 24 with 720 viewsronnyd

Wrexham have signed.... on 12:26 - Mar 24 by sjg

Having looked at Wrexham, Notts County's and Chesterfield's transfers over the last two years, if you don't think Wrexham are blowing these clubs away then I don't think there is too much point in arguing with you.

Yet again we have a poster who invites an opinion then gets arsey if someone airs one that doesn't agree with his view. Gets somewhat tedious.
Wrexham have signed.... on 13:01 - Mar 24 with 702 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Wrexham have signed.... on 12:26 - Mar 24 by sjg

You mentioned Sheffield Weds earlier - have you looked at their transfer spend compared to ours? We’ve spent more this season alone than they have in the last 5 years combined…

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Wrexham have signed.... on 13:37 - Mar 24 with 672 viewsClareBlue

Every league has clubs spending big relative to others to try and achieve success. It's hardly a new thing. Not sure why you are targetting Wrexham for critisism. It doesn't always work. And the majority of players go where they get the most pay for their ability and get game time. Not sure most of our signings have come to Ipswich because they really want to live in Suffolk or have dreams about scoring at PR. I prefer lower league teams and communities getting a vibe and hope than billions of dodgy money pumped into sanitised franchises to sportswash toxic regimes. Good luck to them.
Wrexham have signed.... on 14:33 - Mar 24 with 639 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I think he went to Wrexham on loan early in his career and off the back of that got his Utd move so.he has an affinity with the club.

No issue. Good to see

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Wrexham have signed.... on 16:16 - Mar 24 with 595 viewsNutkins_Return

Wrexham owners by football owner standards have limited finances. Obviously by National League standards pretty wealthy. My gut feeling is they are not needing to dip into their own pockets that much right now. They have a commercial business plan around this and that is driven largely by the documentary series and generating revenue through that as well as using other brands they are involved in for sponsorships etc.

It is a bit cheesy in some ways and it's different. But I really respect what they have done and they have been clever and correct into putting fan engagement high on the agenda. Hell of a lot of parallels with us.

I find myself checking their results (and keeping a little eye on chesterfield (Cookie, Dobs and Clement). Says it all. Wish them nothing but the best. Their fans have had it tough.
Login to get fewer ads

Wrexham have signed.... on 08:32 - Apr 13 with 392 viewsIPS_wich

Wrexham have signed.... on 16:16 - Mar 24 by Nutkins_Return

Wrexham owners by football owner standards have limited finances. Obviously by National League standards pretty wealthy. My gut feeling is they are not needing to dip into their own pockets that much right now. They have a commercial business plan around this and that is driven largely by the documentary series and generating revenue through that as well as using other brands they are involved in for sponsorships etc.

It is a bit cheesy in some ways and it's different. But I really respect what they have done and they have been clever and correct into putting fan engagement high on the agenda. Hell of a lot of parallels with us.

I find myself checking their results (and keeping a little eye on chesterfield (Cookie, Dobs and Clement). Says it all. Wish them nothing but the best. Their fans have had it tough.

Bumping this because living down under I hadn't really been aware of the whole Wrexham takeover at all - but started to watch the documentary a couple of nights ago and have binged the first 7-8 episodes.

What struck me is that their story is an 80-90% carbon copy of the Ipswich story since Gamechanger came in - just without the celebrity association.

North American owners - tick
Focus on the fans as a priority - tick
Employ a very passionate CEO who's worked for multiple clubs - tick
Make a wild card managerial appointment - tick
Focus on tidying up the stadium - tick
Fail to make promotion in year 1 - tick
Back the manager with a little more cash than the rest of the league - tick
Start to acquire some of the property assets in/adjacent to the stadium - tick
See best attendances in years - tick
Win the league in season two - hopefully tick

Any Town fan who tuts in the direction of Wrexham needs a long hard look in the mirror.

I found myself really excited for the fans - because they're going through exactly the same journey as us.

I just hope we get a day like they did on Monday in 2-3 weeks time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024