Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice 21:57 - Feb 15 with 1884 viewsIllinoisblue

Boro on a heck of a run. Belief and momentum. Two things we need.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 23:07 - Feb 15 with 1756 viewsgainsboroughblue

Also noticing that Blackburn can't stop drawing all of a sudden!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 23:43 - Feb 15 with 1732 viewsIllinoisblue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 23:07 - Feb 15 by gainsboroughblue

Also noticing that Blackburn can't stop drawing all of a sudden!

Watched a couple of their games and they are so so average. And yet there they sit a point outside the top six. Weakest championship in years. Strongest L1 in forever. Once again, ITFC’s timing is s5ite.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 10:38 - Feb 16 with 1471 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

Watching Middlesborough beat Sheffield United last night with the same style of football we played in the early part of the season.

Also noticeable how much more time on the ball and space you get in the Championship which would suit us better, just need to get there.
KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 10:45 - Feb 16 with 1456 viewsNthsuffolkblue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 10:38 - Feb 16 by Grumpy_Old_Man

Watching Middlesborough beat Sheffield United last night with the same style of football we played in the early part of the season.

Also noticeable how much more time on the ball and space you get in the Championship which would suit us better, just need to get there.

I only saw a little of that match but what I did see was at a much higher tempo with players running through the middle and trying through balls that we rarely play. The commentator mentioned them finding pockets of space a lot too. Is our movement off the ball part of the problem?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 12:22 - Feb 16 with 1345 viewsBobsthename

Different styles believe it or not Boro play on the front foot we will build from the back slowly.
KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 12:42 - Feb 16 with 1301 viewsSheffordBlue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 12:22 - Feb 16 by Bobsthename

Different styles believe it or not Boro play on the front foot we will build from the back slowly.

Passes per sequence:

Ipswich - 3.34
Boro - 3.49

Direct Speed (how quickly the ball is moved up the pitch) m/s:

Ipswich - 1.46
Boro - 1.21

We're taking fewer passes per sequence and moving it more quickly than Boro. I think some of our averages on this are affected by the fact that while we have a lot of attacks where we build it up patiently in most games we also have a number of attacks where we do move the ball really quickly and directly - often from very deep. We had a few on Tuesday where there was long out ball to Burns or Davis who then ran with it for bit before either crossing it or then playing it back. For me it's more of a case of slightly shifting the balance between the two approaches rather than wholesale trying to be direct.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 15:32 - Feb 16 with 1131 viewsNthsuffolkblue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 12:42 - Feb 16 by SheffordBlue

Passes per sequence:

Ipswich - 3.34
Boro - 3.49

Ipswich - 1.46
Boro - 1.21

We're taking fewer passes per sequence and moving it more quickly than Boro. I think some of our averages on this are affected by the fact that while we have a lot of attacks where we build it up patiently in most games we also have a number of attacks where we do move the ball really quickly and directly - often from very deep. We had a few on Tuesday where there was long out ball to Burns or Davis who then ran with it for bit before either crossing it or then playing it back. For me it's more of a case of slightly shifting the balance between the two approaches rather than wholesale trying to be direct.

That is interesting and surprising. I would love to know the method for calculating the direct speed stat as that doesn't seem that way. Do the patient, sideways passes that take place get taken into account or is it only calculated on the passages of play where the ball is being taken forward?

Boro seemed more prepared to run at the opposition defence and try through balls than we tend to while I was watching. Is it possible they step this up in certain passages of play? We seem to keep a steady pace without a sudden change in tempo.

EDIT: Also are those stats all just Carrick's time?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2023 15:33]

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 15:59 - Feb 16 with 1086 viewsBobbychase

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 12:42 - Feb 16 by SheffordBlue

Passes per sequence:

Ipswich - 3.34
Boro - 3.49

Ipswich - 1.46
Boro - 1.21

This is no place for facts, please

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 16:38 - Feb 16 with 1046 viewsNthsuffolkblue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 15:59 - Feb 16 by Bobbychase

This is no place for facts, please

As I say above, statistics need some context. If they are genuinely representative then those ones surprise me somewhat.

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 18:21 - Feb 16 with 980 views44_not_out

Given they are ‘pals’ I suspect they do speak fairly regularly and no doubt discuss each other’s situations.
KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 21:33 - Feb 16 with 877 viewsSheffordBlue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 15:32 - Feb 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

That is interesting and surprising. I would love to know the method for calculating the direct speed stat as that doesn't seem that way. Do the patient, sideways passes that take place get taken into account or is it only calculated on the passages of play where the ball is being taken forward?

Boro seemed more prepared to run at the opposition defence and try through balls than we tend to while I was watching. Is it possible they step this up in certain passages of play? We seem to keep a steady pace without a sudden change in tempo.

EDIT: Also are those stats all just Carrick's time?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2023 15:33]

Time frame is whole season so will be skewed by Carrick's predecessor.

Do think that some of the perception of ours is skewed - some sideways passing to try and find gaps and then some rapid forward movement. It's when that movement breaks down that we then go backwards before going sideways again.

Not sure how Opta actually calculate it.

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 22:00 - Feb 16 with 839 viewsJuggsy

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 21:33 - Feb 16 by SheffordBlue

Time frame is whole season so will be skewed by Carrick's predecessor.

Do think that some of the perception of ours is skewed - some sideways passing to try and find gaps and then some rapid forward movement. It's when that movement breaks down that we then go backwards before going sideways again.

Not sure how Opta actually calculate it.

Also skewed by the fact our build up play has slowed exponentionally as the season has progressed.
KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 22:08 - Feb 16 with 817 viewsNthsuffolkblue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 22:00 - Feb 16 by Juggsy

Also skewed by the fact our build up play has slowed exponentionally as the season has progressed.

Oddly the same thing happened under Lambert even more dramatically than it has this season with different players.

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 17:22 - Feb 17 with 531 viewsSheffordBlue

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 22:00 - Feb 16 by Juggsy

Not sure that's entirely accurate either. The Direct Speed of forward play is on here (and the nifty chart shows how we stack up up to others) - the figure has been fairly consistent all season and is slightly faster than last season.

This season:
https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/league-one-stats-2022-23/

Last season:

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 17:24 - Feb 17 with 527 viewsmrfixit426

KMac should ask his pal Carrick for some advice on 17:22 - Feb 17 by SheffordBlue

Not sure that's entirely accurate either. The Direct Speed of forward play is on here (and the nifty chart shows how we stack up up to others) - the figure has been fairly consistent all season and is slightly faster than last season.

This season:

Last season:

Cut them off at the knees, and they'll still keep coming.........
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024