Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emir of Qatar interested in buying Manchester United for £4.5bn 15:00 - Feb 8 with 898 viewsbackinbeige

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/08/emir-of-qatar-interested-in-buy

The emir purchased PSG in 2011 through Qatar Sports Investment. Current Uefa rules do not allow clubs with the same owners to face each other in one of its competitions, so a Qatar-owned United and Qatar-owned PSG would not be allowed to compete in a Champions League tie should such a fixture arise.

While the purchase of United is being explored, it is understood those driving the Qatar interest are conscious of the Uefa rules and a solution is being sought. This could include trying to persuade Uefa to consider the possibility of adjusting or changing its regulations.

If these rules were to change then eventually clubs would be concentrated under a few owners. They could be nation-states, billionaire's playthings, investment funds or commercial enterprises, but eventually most major clubs would converge in one of a few groups.

For example, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, AC Milan and Barcelona would be 'Petro Corp' clubs, all owned by the same profit generating energy company that could benefit from a better reputation. Whereas Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal, Juventus and Atletico Madrid would be Soccer Capital clubs, a fund enjoying healthy dividends. Schalke 04, Tottenham, Inter Milan and Real Madrid would be part of the Persia Sports Group.

A few dominant owners would emerge and the major clubs in Europe would converge under them.

We could then see players rotated within these groups, in a similar way to Watford/Granada/Udinese. Raheem Sterling would be loaned out to Bayern Munich or Barcelona each season, the Chelsea reserves would be blooded at AC Milan if their squad needs a boost. It would be a huge event if players switch from Petro Corp to Soccer Capital.

Manchester City players have moved within the City Group, although these clubs often don't come into contact with each other.

Currently we only have 'feeder club' agreements, so this excludes when teams play each other. This would change. The stated rules are UEFA so I'm not sure on Premier League's rules, but you could have Man City, Tottenham and Brighton under one owners, and Liverpool, Arsenal and Brentford under another. There's an obvious question about whether healthy competition would remain. The narrative wouldn't be if Arsenal win the league but if a Petro Corp team wins the league.

I wish I'd chosen better names for my owners but I'm this far into the analogy so I guess I'm committed now.

I'm picking up big ESL vibes from this - the wealth concentrated in a small, closed group.

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

Emir of Qatar interested in buying Manchester United for £4.5bn on 15:08 - Feb 8 with 850 viewsDanTheMan

It was ridiculous enough when you had Udinese, Watford and Granada trading players between them, this would be that taken to the next level.

That's without getting into whether states should be owning football teams in the first place.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Emir of Qatar interested in buying Manchester United for £4.5bn on 15:13 - Feb 8 with 826 viewsBlueBadger

Emir of Qatar interested in buying Manchester United for £4.5bn on 15:08 - Feb 8 by DanTheMan

It was ridiculous enough when you had Udinese, Watford and Granada trading players between them, this would be that taken to the next level.

That's without getting into whether states should be owning football teams in the first place.

I get your point. We had a proper state owning us for over a decade.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Emir of Qatar interested in buying Manchester United for £4.5bn on 08:15 - Feb 11 with 376 viewsbackinbeige

Oh dear
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/10/emir-of-qatar-has-plan-to-own-m

Sounds like similar logic to Newcastle being technically owned by the Saudi Arabian Investment Fund and not Saudi Arabia itself.

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024